Security Installer Community

Honeywell Domonial - Inherited As New Home Owners - Help!

Hi to everyone at the TSI Forums!

My partner and I have just taken posession of our new home, and we're having a bit of trouble with the alarm system the previous occupiers had installed, namely adding/removing user codes and general setup.

We've identified it as being a Honeywell Domonial (CMI8UK-STD) which was installed, serviced and monitored by ADT.  The previous occupiers have confirmed that their contract with ADT had been cancelled, however, they did not know anything about installer/master codes.  They state the only code they had was the 4-digit code that was, and currently is used, to arm/disarm the alarm system (which we are in posession of) - not ideal having the ex-occupiers knowing the code.

From reading the odd review about this particular alarm system, it appears to us that it is not exactly user-friendly, and potentially requires a programming kit to be purchased to make any changes to the system (i.e. adding/removing sensors, phone numbers etc...).  We would need to change the PIRs to pet-friendly as we have a dog, install a glass break sensor in the conservatory, and potentially want to move some existing sensors to ease decorating.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what our options are?  If there is a way or resetting the system to be able to setup our own codes that would be great for now.  If this system is going to be a pain in the rear then we would most likely replace it and install our own DIY alarm system, but I can't just go ripping sensors down for fear of tripping the alarm and not being able to turn it off.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the flex would replace, trouble is you need to wire the keypad and i am guessing the Domonial is in the hall in view?

Plus i expect there is no wired SAB and Galaxy does not support wireless sounders yet.

Where are you based?

We only have 3 domonials left in service now.

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

There are wireless sounder add ons if needed, used them on G2-20`s loads of times.

The panel could be anywhere, but as you suggest possibly in the hall, power must come from somewhere, so there may be a way of hiding the Flex panel.

I said I have fitted them to a G2-20.

I did not say it was being used as a graded panel or being certified did I.

I may have worked for companies but when they didnt want certain work or in my own time I fit what I like.

And you can get wireless sounders on G2 systems.

Have a look about a few do them as a kit.

Yes, the flex would replace, trouble is you need to wire the keypad and i am guessing the Domonial is in the hall in view?

The wireless keypad is located in the hall in view.  I don't know where the control panel is located yet, we've only just obtained the keys and I'm itching to get in and map out where power sockets and telephone lines are located lol.

Where are you based?

I'm based in Bicester, Oxfordshire.

I said I have fitted them to a G2-20.

I did not say it was being used as a graded panel or being certified did I.

I may have worked for companies but when they didnt want certain work or in my own time I fit what I like.

And you can get wireless sounders on G2 systems.

Have a look about a few do them as a kit.

As Ronnie said, as far as i am aware you cannot fit RF sounders to a Galaxy G2, flex or dimension.

You can on a domonial and we have (internal or external)

I never mentioned grading at all? G2 is a galaxy model number.

PG Security Systems

Somerset

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Right, there was confuision.

However you can, and on reflection, have used that CQR RF sounder at G2x and issued a cert for it, And it has been inspected and passed with flying colours. Galaxy -  or anyother panel for that matter. 

No, it is not a standard manufacturers part number, unless you count CQR of course.

Yes I know G2 is a Galaxy number, as I said it seemed confusiion ruled there for a while.

Right, so we are all understood that you cannot fit an RF sounder to a Galaxy panel..... except for an add on type that would have its own receiving module and not be monitored by the panel for RF batt and signal strength etc as a Honeywell device would?

Phew!

Note to the new owner, have you called ADT to get an idea of price?

That would be the best starting point.

PG Security Systems

Somerset

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Thank you for your replies.

It appears that you all agree the Honeywell Domonial isn't the ideal alarm system and that we should replace it.  That's fine.  So which alarm system would you recommend? 

I understand that wired vs wireless is best, but naturally from a novice and decorating point-of-view, wireless would be more practical. The alarm system would have to offer pet-friendly sensors and glass-break sensors (I'm assuming this would be the best way to protect a glass conservatory).  I'm unsure as to whether we should opt for connected fire/smoke alarms as opposed to standalone fire/smoke alarms.  We would like the option to self-monitor using a voice dialer with a view to possibly connecting to an alarm monitoring center at a later date.

The Honeywell Domonial offered keyfob arming/disarming which we liked the idea of, but both said "surely if you lose your keys then the intruder has access and control?!", so maybe not a good idea.  It also offered communication with X10 devices (i.e. lights on when entry delay triggered) that appealed to my geeky side lol.  My partner said it had to look pretty lol.

Never fit your own system (more hassle than its worth and an intruder knows a DIY box a mile off)

Self monitoring is just no good and means nothing really as you are likely to ignore the call if at work or in a restaurant etc.

As above, give ADT a call as a starting figure, some of the deals they do cannot be beaten.

Second to that, choose any NSI or SSAIB approved installer to give you a price.

The Domonial is a great panel if the installing company has the server which ADT do.

It only becomes a pain when you have to get the laptop out etc to programme it or via the keypad.

Keyfob is mandatory if Police response but yes if you lose your keys they have access but its no different than losing your car key with the alarm fob/imobiliser built in.

Also, you have to know which house the keys belong to

PG Security Systems

Somerset

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Right, so we are all understood that you cannot fit an RF sounder to a Galaxy panel..... except for an add on type that would have its own receiving module and not be monitored by the panel for RF batt and signal strength etc as a Honeywell device would?

Phew!

As its "lets be pedantic" time  the Solara " utilizes the latest generation of low power RF transceiver technology to provide a fully supervised two-way communication with any standard control panel," .

You just need a spare zone and to check the interface, hence it being graded.

As its "lets be pedantic" time  the Solara " utilizes the latest generation of low power RF transceiver technology to provide a fully supervised two-way communication with any standard control panel," .

You just need a spare zone and to check the interface, hence it being graded.

chill...

Miss the point some what i think.

The CQR or what ever sounder does not "speak" to the Galaxy end of.

Why you keep referring to grading i do not know.

Nothing to do with pendantic at all.

The confusion was that i thought you implied that you can enrol RF sirens on to a galaxy as you can a Do800M etc 

The answer is no you cant which i though we had all agreed?

PG Security Systems

Somerset

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Archived