Security Installer Community

Acpo Approved Inspectorates.

Guest Guest

Inspectorate

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Perhaps we should start up our own Inspectorate, I know many of us would make better Inspectors and certainly envoke better standards of Installs.

I cant see our current Inspectorates ever changing their attitudes until it starts to cost them, and the only way that`ll happen is by boycotting them. Which is something else that would never happen.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

As a side issue a previous NSI meeting revolt on Sequad was quashed with the issue of SSIB membership applications (A story told by my NSI inspector).
Jef, a good example that I and few others do feel strongly about, should it have gone that far, that an inspectorate thought itself above its membership that the only way they could get the situation resolved was to threaten to leave. The NSI have clearly forgotton that they are there to help their membership, not simply to dictate to them.
Inspectorate

don't know very much on the subject, but don't you think that if the 'installer network' was to take over as the leading reg. body, it would be in danger of becoming just like the ones you're complaining about? Big companies/bodies that have branches/offices nationwide and hundreds/thousands of employees all seem to lack communication, efficiency, and usually provide a poor service due to their size.

If you don't know......ask.

don't know very much on the subject, but don't you think that if the 'installer network' was to take over as the leading reg. body, it would be in danger of becoming just like the ones you're complaining about? Big companies/bodies that have branches/offices nationwide and hundreds/thousands of employees all seem to lack communication, efficiency, and usually provide a poor service due to their size.

Brian, in order for it to take over as the lead reg.body it would have to take over a subtantial percentage of the existing membership of each body, this is unlikely in th short term.

The Installer Network is about choice and improving our industry, its not about being the biggest or best as the existing Inspectorates seem to think. Its about providing a trade body for installers run by active installers who are working together to improve our industry, it may well be, that there will still only be two inspectorates and the "Installer Network" may simply become the unified voice of our industry to bodies within and outwith or industry.

The point is that it is for the "installers" to drive the body not for non industry related staff and retired engineers to dictate how active installers do things.

We can only improve our Industry from within, if we do nothing then all we will achieve is nothing. It is the same with big companies.

Colin.

:lol:

aye, sounds as if it could be a very good idea. the industry certainly needs something to shake it up a bit. Too many bad installs slip throught the net with only a small percentage of installs being inspected, installers choosing the jobs to be inspected and prior notice of inspection!

Also old systems that do not conform, but have not lost their urn, should be forced to upgrade to get response. some of the s**t that's out there that just gets bodge after bodge and doesn't even conform to BS4737 makes for nightmare to service. Employers need to be forced to be more strict also i think. I have reported to different employers about jobs that need upgrading and do not conform, but, if the customer isn't willing to pay, they're usually just left to carry on. In my time with four emloyers, i have never been asked anything about BS4737 in interviews and never been offered a copy of current regs, asked if I had them, or even advised where to get them. yet they've been happy to let me install and service their systems.

I think any opportunity to make things a bit tighter would be a good idea.

If you don't know......ask.

So Lets do it then. We could call it the "NSI"  The "Network of Security Installers"

Not very original Dave :(

It is being done and will be public very soon, and new members will be very welcome. The original idea of the post was to see what installers wanted from an inspectorate whether they are simply employed or company directors or just self employed.

I will post full details tomorrow for anyone who is interested and for those you that have sent messages of support etc Please be assured that your interest will be kept confidential in order to ensure that you existing inspectorates do not cause you any problems.

One thing is for sure, the few of you that have shown and interest shows the great strength that our Industry could have should we all choose to actually fight for it.

Colin.

Archived