Security Installer Community

No One Will Fit My Alarm

PhilA

So just brought the infinite prime wireless alarm.

Rang an alarm guy and asked him if he would hook it up to the electricity for me. He said he does'nt touch diy wireless alarms of any kind and said there all rubbish and give faults all the time.

So do I send the alarm back and get someone to install it?

The reviews for this alarm on the website I brought it from seemed fairly promising.

So what do you need?

Someone to fit the FCU (Spur), or someone to set it all up for you?

For the first get in a Electrician. He can do that for you.

For the second, keep ringing around, but many do not fit others "kit".

Its a 1 way system. Old hat and i dont blame him. Get an approved alarm company to offer a solution and they will supply the product etc. Then there are no support issues as to who is a fault etc

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

as a low end panel its ok, but for the money there is much better gear imo.

But as with anything it how its installed, setup and tested. Assuming wireless range tests done, installed well even poor gear can perform. But even the best gear in the world will play up if not installed as it should be.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I would be surprised if you find an alarm company interested in fitting a DIY system for you. We spend thousands of ££s in product training for engineers fitting something that they are not used too will take them twice as long as the protocols will be alien to them. Then you have warranty issues, this cheap one way wireless tat will be a constant problem with battery failures and false alarms, and you get constant calls from the customer for stuff thats down to the kit rather than the installation. You could ask where you purchased it if they know someone that could install it for you.

Get a spark in and ask him to fit an unswitched FCU somewhere you want. Shouldn't cost you much. Do the rest yourself, the prime is an obsolete panel now so getting parts in a year or two will require some digging. To be fair it's on the same level as Yale and response 'kit' if you really want to fit it I would say go for it. If you want to get a company in to do it sling the kit on eBay, depending on what you have you should get £100-£150 for it.

It all depends how technically minded you are, can you be bothered fixing it if it's going to give you problems or would you rather make a call and make it someone else's? I would suggest finding a local company that deals wi the enforcer range of wireless system or the Texecom ricochet. Both excellent kits that are good for an end users perspective and gives you a bit wider support should you wish to change maintenance provider in the future.

If the system is all wired you will need a zone expander to have each zone on it's own.

I would install a Gardtec 600 panel, expander, 2 x rkp's and bell.

You would only get a quick start guide with this for info which is as usefull as a chocolate watch if you have never installed one.

!

• 3 months later...

Archived