Security Installer Community

Installing A Honeywell Accenta G4, But I Have Some Questions.

Tommygunn

Coming to the end of my install for this alarm but I have a few questions which the manual does not seem to cover.

They are:

1) I have two bell boxes and the basic wiring is fine. However, the diagram shows that one of the bell boxes has what appears to be a link from 'hold off (-)' to 'RTN'. Is this the case or something else?

TwinSiren.jpg

2) In the 'First Power Up' chapter of the engineer's manual it says to make sure the links are connected across PA, TAMP and T-A. Thing is I already have one bell box wired into 'T' and 'A', i.e. RTN to T and Hold off (-) to A.

Am I supposed to disconnect these two wires and reconnect the link prior to firing up the system or will the bell box act as a link in and of itself?

3) Can PIR detectors face each other without malfunctioning?

cheers,

Tom.

1) Yep

2) the 'link' is your bell wiring, the tamper will be shut on the bell box so it will close the circuit. This is what you're trying to achieve by making sure the links are it.

3) They won't malfunction as such but you'll get two zones activating when it should only be one. Depends what area you're covering, what PIR's you're using etc but the panel will just report two zones in activation on alarm/test when it should only be one.

1) Yes - please bear in mind when using two bell boxes. You should neither have a separate PSU for one or use "Low Current or "SCB" mode for both or one.

You can overload the panel with two SAB's at ~500mA on a 1A supply.

2) Yes - The above link you mention is that "link"

3) Yes - But as above

So, going about it slightly diffently they could have shown it like this:

TwinSiren2.jpg

Here is a mock-up of how I'm going to be using two PIR's to cover an irregular space. More than likely the beams will cross but as has been said this should not be bad and I can live with two activations.

The PIR's are standard Electronics Line 'Quest' detectors.

PIRs.jpg

Sixwheeledbeast,

It makes no mention of this in the main manual, so now I'm a bit concerned. I'm using Honeywell AG6 SAB's and the specs for those are as follows:

20mA nom. Quiescent

260mA Max. combined sounder and strobe

125mA Max. strobe only

I can only presume that if it says I can connect two SAB's then I can, don't you think?

Tom.

I don't think there is supposed to be a link between - and RTN as this will effectively disable the tamper switch on that bell. I beleive the arrow on the diagram between - and RTN is merely showing the internal connection between the two terminals with the tamper switch closed.

It's a fairly standard practice to run one bell in SCB mode when you're connecting two bells to one panel without an additional power supply (did one today!). Going off the spec for your bell units, they'll draw 520mA when in alarm. Providing this isn't going to overload the bell output on the panel (you'll need to check the spec on your panel for that info) and the total alarm current isn't going to exceed 1A you'll probably get away with leaving them both set to SAB. I would definitely check the current draws with a multimeter though, and if at all in doubt, run one as SCB. There will be a slight drop in volume but there are no worries of potentialy over loading your panel then ;)

Trade Member

Ok, I think what I'm going to do is disregard the additional link as shown in the diagram and presume that it is some sort of non-layman's diagram just to complicate matters.

The maximum distance involved, i.e. top to bottom, is about 11 to 12m, so the PIRs will need to cover approximately 6m. However, this is in a garage and access is only possible from the two ends so any intruder will have to pass the beams to get to the internal doorway situated centre right.

If it is a problem with the beams crossing then I'll simply try to rearrange the PIR's but that might limit me a bit.

Going back to the sirens then I presume it is out of the question to use an internal extension speaker unless I get one of the sirens switched to SCB mode, otherwise it will overload the system?

Couple more questions.

How do I initiate SCB mode on one of the sirens, if needs be? I've just noticed in the manual (and on the PCB) that 'SCB' is printed under contacts T and A. Are any connected bell boxes by default already in SCB mode?

Also, at what point do I switch over the bell box jumper to connect BB battery power, before or after mains power connection?

Tom.

Archived