Security Installer Community

Ssaib, Our First Visit Today

PSE

The problem isn't the badge, 

Its the $hite installers and companies that hide behind it .. A company is only as good as the installers, and its only as good as its last installation....

We all know that a good reputation can take years to gain, yet can be destroyed by just one job

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem isn't the badge, 

Its the $hite installers and companies that hide behind it .. A company is only as good as the installers, and its only as good as its last installation....

We all know that a good reputation can take years to gain, yet can be destroyed by just one job

Hence the issue of ethics.

You have them, some don't.

Thought you'd applied to SSAIB?

I did, and they came round and were pretty happy at the informal visit (still looked at pretty much everything other than a sample job)

Ever since then I have been competing with a total lack of new business approved or otherwise, my narrowboat I really need to sell,

and a million other distractions :(

It really is still on the cards and the next thing on my list...

Ah right,  Sorry.... Misunderstood what you were getting at

Yeah no worries, you see what I mean though, I think you need to really be approved before you can call other approved as having 'alternative standards',

even if they couldn't wire a bellbox strobe like some of the nobheads round here. Still, I say it again, they're getting more new customers than me...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

If you feel its having that much of an impact, then my advice would be go for it,     Jump in balls deep

As many others have said countless times before, being approved does not guarantee you work,

You're in the same boat as I was for many years prior to going approved.  Blowing smoke up my own @rse here a little, But.. 

Virtually every non approved installer in a 30'ish mile radius knew me before I was non approved.
I honestly used to get calls every other day from these guys to sort their mess out or stuff they stuck on, or made a total hash of it

I still get the odd one or two a month now, from so called installers who claim to know all, they know feck all

Back then, I knew I was miles ahead of them in terms of technical ability and quality etc, but did nothing about it until 2 years ago
I got sick and tired of approved this approved that, You cant do it because you're not approved, even though you CAN do it better

What I'm getting at is simply, You know your area and the "knobheads" as you referred to that work it,
You clearly have the ability to go the distance with it and make something of it, Take the plunge and go for it, You will fly through it

My regret is that I started first started in this industry in 1993, with an ADE Logic 4 that still Works today. It took me 19 years  in 2012 to take the plunge

Edited by PSE

My regret is that I started first started in this industry in 1993, with an ADE Logic 4 that still Works today. It took me 19 years  in 2012 to take the plunge

id guess if you had asked for advice on it then here you would of been slated?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I know, no guarantee of work at all...

Many say wait until you have plenty of non approved customers before you go approved...

Simple fact is, there are plenty of shiny new bells going up and 95% are approved.

Ill definate have it before summers out, thats a tsi public promise ;)

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Lol. To be fair the good news is the local cheap approved-but-idiots seem to be the ones getting the least new work, the two decent outfits, as it seems, are doing pretty well so looks like price isnt everything.

Its all about the price here,

You can get an alarm installed for £150.00 with a 12 month warranty.
The pi$$ed up jordies will happily peel your carpet back and load up the Rapid 28 with extended mags

Punters clearly don't give a toss that they smell like a pub urinal as long as their spanking new veritas compact is making a noise
Best of it is, If there is cord carpet down, they use a router through the conti boards until it reached its destination

They still advertise in the local paper  B.S.4737 Approved Systems

remember in the service sector there will always be someone cheaper. if you train your customers to buy the cheapest then when your no longer that they will do what you trained them. quality isnt cheap.

'the pain of low quality outlasts the joy of low price'

Youre gonna think I am taking the P1ss here, This is honest

Systems are installed without a backup battery, they are extra's  

2x pir / 1x Contact / 1x V8c / External Bell,   Rubbish Kinetic tat

They still advertise in the local paper  B.S.4737 Approved Systems

As did a certain gold round here on all the paperwork as late as 2012... Gone now.

Dont get me wrong its price price price here too but interesting to see the way the work

goes around to say the least.

Youre gonna think I am taking the P1ss here, This is honest

Systems are installed without a backup battery, they are extra's  

2x pir / 1x Contact / 1x V8c / External Bell,   Rubbish Kinetic tat

Well, yeah... How is there any margin unless you do four a day and pay the cable boy in brew..? Ah...

id add its easy to think that price is the only factor. imo its the easiest sell, ie on price. not many people buy on price alone else the world would be using linux on the desktop (some do but not on cost), cars, appliances, etc etc