Security Installer Community

Changing Wired Alarm Pirs

KeithS

2) Fit at recommnded height, ensuring the mounting surface is as flat as possible.

3) This is possible, also possible the PIR is faulty or old.

4) Yes, a spur with a 3A fuse.

What happened to 1? qfa

Follow the instructions they will tell you what not to do, and make sure the animal cannot get within the recommended safe distance by jumping up onto work surfaces etc

• 3 weeks later...

Made a start by trying to fit Spur. Switched off mains but outside Siren went off and Panel went dead. Decided battery must be faulty (only 18 years old).

As we couldn’t do any more on the Spur that day, we made sure we could go into Engineer Mode and this worked fine with the lights changing as per the manual. We also looked for the Aux Power Contact mentioned by MrHappy but could not see it.

We left the System in Engineer Mode overnight.

Next day we fitted a new battery and were then able to switch off mains without Siren sounding. We then fitted the Spur which was straightforward. At some point we noticed lights had changed from previous night to Tamper and Zone 2 but unsure whether this happened before or during fitting of Spur. Wondered why this was so and how we should proceed to isolate the PIRs to fit the new ones.

Anyway, decided to refit the Panel Cover for the time being but as soon as we started to do this and the Spring was touched the internal and external Sirens went off. We then realised that the Keypad was dead (no beeps or reaction to our entry). We could cut the mains and disconnect the battery but the external Siren was, of course, still sounding. About to get a ladder and stop the Siren when it all went quiet. Probably only a minute of noise but seemed like an hour. Don’t know why it went off or stopped.

The Panel remains lit up with Tamper and Zone 2 but the Keypad is dead - Zone 2 is merely a PIR in one room but hasn’t been touched and sees no more traffic than other PIRs.

Very disappointed at this stage as no idea what we did wrong.

My questions

1 The manual mentions 3-core mains cable but the installer had chopped the earth, i.e. there was only pos/neg when I fitted Spur. There are also only 2 wires from the connection block to the PCB or wherever they go. Is this correct?

2 Can you tell me where I find the Aux Contact to isolate the PIRs?

3 Now the dreaded question, how do I get Keypad working again?

Thanks very much.

Keith

1 The manual mentions 3-core mains cable but the installer had chopped the earth, i.e. there was only pos/neg when I fitted Spur. There are also only 2 wires from the connection block to the PCB or wherever they go. Is this correct?

Im assuming you have an old plastic panel. If there is no earth connection then this isnt a problem. But knowing your panel would help. Also you mention 2 wires on the pcb. There are not many panels that take 240v into the main board.

2 Can you tell me where I find the Aux Contact to isolate the PIRs?

Upload a pic. But may not be marked as AUX.

3 Now the dreaded question, how do I get Keypad working again?

Depends what you have done. If its an optima etc then it will lock out till you clear the tamper fault.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

1 Probably OK then. I think it is plastic. I saw 2 wires but perhaps they are not connected directly to mains - didn't look too closely. Will try and show in pic.

2 Someone is going to do some pics but probably tomorrow now - will upload asap.

3 As we didn't touch any of the PIRs or try to disconnect them, any idea how we clear the fault to get keypad back?

It is a Honeywell ADE Optima XM6 Alarm - installed 1994.

Thanks

Keith

If it's an expert we need, might have to abandon it as, given its age, I don't think they wish to spend a lot on it.

So any ideas on anything we could try are very welcome.

Thanks

Keith

You need to find out where your tamper fault is. If you have alook on the panel you will see 1 pair called TAMP. this is the global tamper. To test the panel tamper just gently push the spring in till it clicks and see if that clears it. If its on the tamper pair you will have to track down where it is with a multimeter. Plus there is the SAB (external sounder) tamper which on that panel is marked as SCB (T and A)

Many thanks for ideas.

Keen to try but starting to feel out of my depth, i.e. if using my meter, I don't know exactly what I'm measuring and wouldn't know if I actually find the problem. I will of course try the spring. If it's not possible for you to give more detail on what to measure and how I know when I find the problem, I shall have to think again. If possible, please give me an idea of cost for an engineer to come and clear the fault - it is in Darlaston, West Midlands.

Thanks

Keith

ok pull out the tamp pair and put a link of wire in the there to short the terminals.

If that clears your fault then you do indeed have a tamper on the global tamper. If not then its either the tamper spring or the sounder tamper. If you have checked these then it must be a board fault.

Also might be worth completly powering it down and back up to ensure you havnt crashed it.

How do we identify the tamp pair?

Haven't touched spring yet, as you suggested.

Haven't checked any other tampers as don't know how to.

The other day when it went off suddenly, we did cut mains and disconnect battery to stop the internal siren. Does this constitute powering down?

One other question: why did alarm (sirens) suddenly stop of its own volition after about a minute?

Thanks

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

battery in external sounder is knackered.

ADE panels will lock up if any glitches with the mains, power down, power up, connect battery - should be ok then

press spring down and see it it resets by pressing reset.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

a bullet for each cat would be preferential.

:thumbsup: made me chuckle this.

i dont like pet sensors period. A movement sensor is designed to detect movement. I find it amusing that people expect such a cheap device (less than 20 quid) to be able in tech terms to tell the differencve between a person and a dog etc. They cant really. They are just slugged down normal pirs. The animal has a smaller IR output than a person. But if they get close to the sensor etc and move vertically then the sensor sees a larger IR trace. There is NO sensor that has passed 3rd party testing WHEN in any pet mode. There may be a reason for that!

Best way to achieve alarm protection with an animal is to use perimeter protection, ie all external doors and windows where the pets are located when the alarm is armed. Normal sensors everywhere else

I agree with the above ^^^^^^ only thing is cats tend to go where they want to

• 1 month later...

Archived