Security Installer Community

External Cabling

can you?

I never thought to ask on the bafe course I was on last year. I always cable inside, but thats probably due to it being ingrained on me installing alarms

I drove past a pub the other week with pink faded FP clipped round the outside, that to me suggests its not rated for outdoor use..

It got me thinking thats all :)

19. Is FP200 Gold® suitable for outside installations?

For external installation with exposure to UV, we recommend white or black sheathed FP. Do not use red sheathed FP outside without additional protection.

Disclaimer: The information given in this document is believed to be correct at the time of loading but may be subject to change

Mr? Veritas God

Using it without 'Mechanical' protection outside is very naughty. If it has to be ran outside treat it as the same for running below 2m height. e.g protected so no one can easily interfere with it. All MrHappy is saying is if you don't want it to fade, use white or black. However, if you remember under 5839 we are only permitted to use red.

Stick it in some galv conduit, mark either end with a label. jobs a good-un.

*my opinion, doesn't constitute legal advise yada yada*

I was always under the impression for lighting you could use whatever colour takes your fancy?

I think traditionally the cable most specified for the exterior lighting on a public house was MI, the idea of soft skinned FP is the belief it does not require mechanical protection ?

Mr? Veritas God

I think traditionally the cable most specified for the exterior lighting on a public house was MI, the idea of soft skinned FP is the belief it does not require mechanical protection ?

Lets just qualify "mechanical protection". The outer skin IS mechanical protection where trunking, capping, conduit etc is ADDITION Mechanical protection

Customers!

The outer sheaf is in no way mechanical protection on soft skinned FP. How could a soft skin cable offer any protection? it simply isn't robust enough. Only SWA and MI are considered to be robust enough off the drum. Everything else below 2m would require some form of protection.

The outer sheaf is in no way mechanical protection on soft skinned FP. How could a soft skin cable offer any protection? it simply isn't robust enough. Only SWA and MI are considered to be robust enough off the drum. Everything else below 2m would require some form of protection.

Well there you go. YOUR WRONG!

PVC/PVC cables are insulated then have mechanical insulation.

MICC and SWA have ADDITIONAL mechanical protection.

If you bother to read BS 7671 rather than quote good working practice then you would know it is quite within the scope of the BS (by way of example) to clip a 2.5 mm cable around the skirting board to feed a ring main of sockets.

i like your thinking better than than BS 7671

Customers!

Using it without 'Mechanical' protection outside is very naughty. If it has to be ran outside treat it as the same for running below 2m height. e.g protected so no one can easily interfere with it. All MrHappy is saying is if you don't want it to fade, use white or black. However, if you remember under 5839 we are only permitted to use red.

Stick it in some galv conduit, mark either end with a label. jobs a good-un.

*my opinion, doesn't constitute legal advise yada yada*

"......cables should preferably be red in colour for identification purposes" - preferred but not the only permitted colour.

Well there you go. YOUR WRONG!

PVC/PVC cables are insulated then have mechanical insulation.

MICC and SWA have ADDITIONAL mechanical protection.

If you bother to read BS 7671 rather than quote good working practice then you would know it is quite within the scope of the BS (by way of example) to clip a 2.5 mm cable around the skirting board to feed a ring main of sockets.

i like your thinking better than than BS 7671

While it might be protected enough under 7671 for a ring main then yes I would agree. However, we are talking about 5839 and fire alarms. It's hardly good working practice when it's required by the standard to be in some form of additional containment below 2m GH.

it should all be the same colour should it?

It should be all the same colour but I haven't seen any new installations where anyone has put in anything other than red for fire.

While it might be protected enough under 7671 for a ring main then yes I would agree. However, we are talking about 5839 and fire alarms. It's hardly good working practice when it's required by the standard to be in some form of additional containment below 2m GH.

It should be all the same colour but I haven't seen any new installations where anyone has put in anything other than red for fire.

Now ihope you noted i said "i like your thinking better than than BS 7671"

Anyway just for you:

BS 5839

h) Except in particularly arduous conditions, mineral insulated copper sheathed cables conforming to BS EN 60702 and steel wire armoured cables conforming to BS 7846 may be used throughout all parts of the system without additional mechanical protection. Other cables should be given mechanical protection in any areas in which physical damage or rodent attack is likely. Particular consideration should be given to all areas that are less than two metres above floor level; other than in relatively benign environments (e.g. offices, shops and similar premises) in which cable is clipped directly to robust construction, mechanical protection should be provided in these areas. Protection may be provided by laying cable on tray, protecting it by burying in the structure of the building, or by installation in conduit, ducting or trunking. Where particularly arduous conditions might be experienced (such as impact by forklift trucks or goods trolleys), additional, robust protection should be given to all cables by burying the cable in the structure of the building or installation in metal conduit or trunking.

IMO opinion if you stick to your beleif you will err on the side of good working practice BUT! plese dont declare your understanding as fact.

Customers!

I'd say no to T&E above a skirting

Looked at a cctv job today, domestic, client told me to run mains under bedroom carpet, lol

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

its what the client wanted, i was a bit put off with the hump in the carpet though.

Twatted it with a hammer for a bit, results were a bit shoddy to be fair, client wasnt bothered though.

Reckon i should of used T&E instead of flex, would of had a flatter appearance and less chance of shorting the cores out/ruining the insulation as i wouldnt of had to hit it so much with the hammer.

Ah well, you live and learn.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

I'd say no to T&E above a skirting

So would i. Its much easier to clip it ON the skirting, or is that what you were saying LOL.

ADI your rough you could of a least used capping under the carpet :)

Customers!

Archived