Security Installer Community

Honeywell G2-20, Rf Portal & Keyprox Keypads Issue

Zemme

Hi All

Hope you are all well.

I hope i am posting my query on the correct thread.

I would dearly appreciate any advice that is provided for my query.

I recently had a Honeywell Galaxy G2-20 installed by my uncle. He has only installed a couple of these Honeywell alarms previously, however he is stumped on a certain issue.

My setup is as below.

1 X Honeywell Keyprox MK7 CP-038 Keypad (Address 0, Downstairs)

1 X Honeywell Keyprox MK7 CP-038 Keypad (Address 1, Downstairs)

1 x Honeywell RF Portal (Address 4)

The issue that i currently face is that the only functioning keypad is downstairs. From an overall perspective, the alarm functions fine with the keypad installed downstairs. I can set & unset the alarm fine.

The issue is that the upstairs keypad and the rf portal do not function when connected to the power supply.

The upstairs keypad led is rapidly flashing with a green led and flashes with many stars, eg. ***************************************. The keypad was beeping when installed, however the esc key was pressed to silence the audible keypad beeps.

The rf portal is not connecting correctly via the data line.

I have come to the conclusion that the communication link has not been wired up correctly.

The current setup has the A & B from the keypads & rf portal connecting directly on to the A & B data bus on the G2-20 panel. It is not daisy chained. Are my assumptions correct? Also the last connection (rf portal) does not have a 680ohm resistor connected between the A & B.

Should the setup be like this?

1. Alarm Panel Data Bus "A" -> Keyprox Keypad Downstairs Data Link "A" -> Keyprox Keypad Upstairs Data Link "A" ->RF Portal Data Link "A".

2. Alarm Panel Data Bus "B" -> Keyprox Keypad Downstairs Data Link "B" -> Keyprox Keypad Upstairs Data Link "B" ->RF Portal Data Link "B".

3. RF Portal Data Link "A" -> RF Portal Data Link "B" (Looped Using A 680ohm Resistor).

I appreciate your time to reply.

Best Regards

Zemme

A line of *********s on the RKP

= No Communication on A B Line,

possibly faulty PCB

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Doubt its the resistor

Also it will not communicate with the panel till the panel is aware its there. A power cycle or exiting engineers will instruct the panel to look for new devices added to the system

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

All your a conections should connect to a and all b to b.

Have you exited engineer mode after adding the devices so the panel can find them?

Hi Jameswilson, thank you very much for the reply. Yes, we exited engineers mode after adding the devices. Currently the A & B datalinks from the 2 keypads and the rf portal are connected in a Star to the A & B datalinks on the panel.

The downstairs keypad is working fine as it was the primary connection the A & B datalink on the panel. So i can rule out that the RS485 is faulty on the databus. I also took the keypad upstairs local, bypassing all the structured cabling currently in place in the properties wall. The problem still remained. I also replaced the existing keypad for 2 brand new ones. So this ruled out a faulty keypad.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Appreciate it.

Best Regards

A line of *********s on the RKP

= No Communication on A B Line,

possibly faulty PCB

Hi Magpye, , thank you very much for the reply. I spoke to Honeywell Customer Support. They advised that the issue is related to "No Communication on the A & B Line", as you kindly mentioned. I was advised to remove the Star connection & Daisy chain the connection instead. My Uncle will be coming over to rectify this today.

Best Regards

Or lack of resistor

Hi Fozzies, thank you very much for the reply. I spoke to a friend of a friend who is an ADT Alarm engineer. He gave me some advice, which did mention using a 680ohm resistor on the last peripheral between the A & B Datalink on the RF Portal.

He advised me to daisy chain the 2 keypads and the RF portal, then on the RF portal to install a 680ohm resister on the A & B Datalink.My uncle will be trying this today.

The RS485 databus is working fine, as the downstairs keypad is working fine.

According to the Honeywell engineers manual it states to use a 680ohm resistor also & daisy chain also. I'm hoping this is proves correct. I have been to Maplin and purchased some 680ohm resistors as I misplaced the original ones that came with the panel.

Best Regards

Doubt its the resistor

Also it will not communicate with the panel till the panel is aware its there. A power cycle or exiting engineers will instruct the panel to look for new devices added to the system

Hi Jameswilson.

I honestly think that the problem lies in the cabling fashion, i.e. that the Star fashion connection is incorrect & that it should be a Daisy Chain connection from each peripheral. I have power cycles the panel a few times & also exited the engineer mode.

Best Regards

Star isn't best but wouldn't stop it working imo. You have another issue I think

What happens when you move the keypad that is working upstairs.

Hi Jameswilson.

My uncle has sorted the issue out now.

I asked him to remove the Star A & B Datalink connection and reinstate it as Daisy Chain.

Then on the last peripheral, i.e. RF Portal, I asked him to install a 680ohm resister.

Both downstairs & upstairs Keyprox Keypads now work. Also the RF Portal is working, as I can use the RF Fobs to set & unset the alarm.

Everything is now working as expected. I would like to thank all the forum members including yourself for taking time out of their busy day schedules for posting constructive replies.

Hopefully this post will also help others to rectify mistakes that they may also have in their setup.

I have another request which in sure you kind fellows will be able to advice me on.

Now that I have the RF Portal working, I would like to install wireless window contacts on all my swing window openings. Which Honeywell battery powered contacts would you recommend, and is it easy to add them into the system with specific zones, i.e. full set & night set.

I appreciate your valuable comments.

Best Regards - Have a nice weekend Guys & Girls.

Thats my one experience of honeywell, via a 504, eol resistors and daisy chain are imperative. Oh, and that the tech support are so far up their own arses its unreal...

it would appear not that far that they won't talk to any old guy who fancies calling up for some support..

Always found honeywell tech OK when you can get through to them but they don't like foolish questions and will often refair you to the manual.

Archived