Security Installer Community

Just Setting Up..

RAMBO

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi jb-eye, did you do your C&G 2330 Part I/II or C&G 236 to become a spark. I see they have a C&G 2357 now, which covers renewable technology training; i'm guessing thats the one to do now.. Any ideas?

Résumé:

Birth Certificate

Cycling proficiency

Length certificate

Driving Test

Marriage certificate

Fully competent and much experience in many other aspects.

Fully graduated with honours University of life

Customers!

I employ 2 guys - I never asked what qualifications they have during recruitment as it's irrelevant. If they wanted to waste their time and money thats up to them.

Résumé:

Birth Certificate

Cycling proficiency

Length certificate

Driving Test

Marriage certificate

Fully competent and much experience in many other aspects.

Fully graduated with honours University of life

I heard that them Marriage certifications cost allot to maintain and can totally bankrupt you if you don't follow the rules properly.

I employ 2 guys - I never asked what qualifications they have during recruitment as it's irrelevant. If they wanted to waste their time and money thats up to them.

I agree with that to a certain extent, depending on the type of customer that your business is bidding to work with and depending on whether the company owner is inspecting there employees work ensuring that it meets requirements and standards. In 'my opinion' if the owner is fully qualified or employs qualified competent people through the company to fill in where he's not then that's totally fine, but if you're unqualified with no accreditation throughout your business, try bidding against organisations with experience and accreditations on big contracts like airports, national grid certain government sites, ports etc. where you can win some good projects and see how that pans out for you.

If I'm honest I was reluctant to do some of the courses that I've done in the past, parting with thousands of pounds of my own money in the process. I merely did them for the paper work, not because i really really really wanted too, but every little helps you know; like with these inspectorates and having them associated with your business, whether I agree or disagree with them, the truth of the matter is that they are an advantage to you and your business in this day and age.

Also, for me its not just the hands on ability to do the physical work to make a business succeed, some times it also takes the combination of brains too, for example.. some of the people I’ve managed and employed through former companies were excellent at pulling cables, installing conduit and physical stuff, but I couldn't always rely on them types of people to sit in on meetings and to meet and greet clients and keep their paper work in order; where as your more likely to get that in someone that's been quiet assertive in building their own qualifications, profile, as well as experience.

So I probably would employ someone with qualifications & experience over someone with just experience If I have a choice, but thats just me...

rambo,

I see where you are coming from and don't take some of the comments to heart I was grilled just the same but I understand the reasons behind the grilling. (no offence guys, but I am glad you treat these questions with these answers!)

It is all to easy for anyone to start a business and say they can install CCTV & alarms but is the installation being done right your, your customer won't have a clue if it is or not they are putting trust in you to make sure the job is done right. Look how many electricians are out there doing it and the jobs I have been too where it has been the case it is easier to rip out and start again.

I am not trade registered with NSI or SSAIB at the moment started to go through the paper work for SSAIB but have decided to buddy up with another guy that is SSAIB in my area that is the same size as me (family business) and we now both share our work loads between us. I have learnt loads and loads from him over the past months for the first few jobs he would check my work but now he knows I know what I am doing. On the job training is the best way I learn, I have the standards and have read through them and have worked for other companies before starting on my own.

If you think you have what it takes go for it, but one thing I have learned is it is a tough business, all security businesses are the same there is nothing new I don't think anyone can say makes them different from the rest and it is not as if the wheel needs reinventing.

If you can get some good customers that will recommend you and build on this you are half way to winning.

I will QUALIFY my earlier statement.

We are full scope NICEIC for 34 years. We are NACOSS NSI GOLD. We are ISO 9002 and were formally BS5750.

We have undertaken most of the projects described.

Qualifications get you to the interview stage, you cant hack the job your out.

Personnel knowledge of experience wins over qualification.

Having left school at 15 with zero qualifications (the world will always need drivers and manual workers) i ensured my own children had the benefit of a good education and all four have the benefit of a university education. Do i believe their education will ensure their future?

Customers!

I joined the army straight from school with minimal qualifications. My attitude to life in general (which is what I learnt from my service) is what has got me to where I am today (but I'm no where near where I want to be), not any qualifications I may have picked up along the way.

As long as you have a good solid base to start with then ongoing training (on the job) will lead to experience and this is far more valuable than anything you will learn in a classroom. Don't get me wrong - courses have their place and are a vital part of progression (the army is built around attending courses but only after completing minimum amounts of time based experience) but fundamentally it's having the right attitude in the first place.

All of this is obivously my opinon only.

** Posted as a complement **

Do i believe their education will ensure their future?

I would assume an average degree in an average profession would provide a better career than a role at your co.

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Do i believe their education will ensure their future?

I hope to god I can pay for my kids to go to uni and leave with great degrees and no debt. I am fairly sure they are the reason I go to work in this crappy industry in which I find myself in.

Archived