Security Installer Community

Just Setting Up..

RAMBO

Hi guys, i'm hoping to start trading soon but i'm just trying to get everything in order at the moment and work out which trade associations & professional bodies I should really be aiming to be associated with?.

(I primarily do Access Control, CCTV, Intruder, Entry Systems at the moment).

1, which of these are most important for someone thats just starting out; I keep reading conflicting information.

-The British Security Industry Association (BSIA)

-National Security Inspectorate (NSI)

-Security Systems and Alarms Inspection Board (SSAIB)

-Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)

2, If you already associated with one of the bodies above, can you let me know what exactly you needed to do, including any associated costs involved.

3, I've got some security related awards, a integrated security systems diploma and a few other useful qualifications, but what I can't call myself is an electrician. I did start to do the course years ago but I jumped ship when I was offered a job with money that i couldn't refuse, so I left it

Anyway; I've been trying to work out what the new city & guilds qualification is that I need to get to install and sign off my own work without having to keep on using other sparks to do the work for me; all the course numbers have all changed since I last entertained the idea. Have any of you guys got any ideas what i should go for. (For Commercial & Domestic Purposes)

I want to also do home automation systems too at some point, I believe the electricians course would be useful with that among other obvious things.

I'm totally open to suggestions, hints, ideas ... on anything thats going to help..

Thanks..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand the BSIA require ISO,

NSI / SSAIB rquire a min of 6 months trading & X jobs which met with the correct std

IET, I've no idea what benefits they could bring to a security installer

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

If want to issue certs for the electrical side you will need NICEIC as well as the others you listed.

SSAIB is the (will i get away with slightly) easier route to approval for security systems. Plus they wont insist you issue certs on cctv etc unlike NSI

BSIA is a trade association that offers guidance etc and is the liason between the industry and govt / regulations etc. ie BSIA have a heavy membership of BSI. If you have an issue with something the BSIA is the association to contact.

IET as Mr H

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

If you really need to ask about inspectorates you shouldnt be setting up just yet

Why do you say that then?

What experience do you already have?

I've got a little bit of experience. I've been working for large facility company for over 10 years as a fire and security service engineer and manager. I’ve worked with video equipment, software and manufacturers like Axis, Ultrak / Honeywell, Indigo Vision, Milestone and Verint; I've actually been a beta tester for Verint too on there Nextiva Enterprise platform with the guys in Weybridge and in Montreal Canada. I’ve installed, maintained, upgraded multiple video systems from old analogue through to fairly high end IP video systems, leasing fibre lines, deploying wi-fi grids and integrating fairly large deployments of access control systems from companies like Gallagher (Cardax NT/FT) systems, Paxton, Fire systems, BMS systems, PA systems and other emergency procedure systems in fairly well known places throughout the country, in prisons and courts, through to places like the national grid and military sites.

I’ve also worked as a unqualified electrical contractor for years at one point, prior to leaving my course like a fool. I’ve worked diagnostics in telephone and CATV exchanges for NTL, I’ve worked in I.T as a network administrator, done intruder, intercoms and numerous other bits and pieces...

I understand the BSIA require ISO,

NSI / SSAIB rquire a min of 6 months trading & X jobs which met with the correct std

IET, I've no idea what benefits they could bring to a security installer

Thank you Mr Happy, thats exactly the kind of input I was looking for and 'benefits' being the key word lol :thumbsup:

If want to issue certs for the electrical side you will need NICEIC as well as the others you listed.

SSAIB is the (will i get away with slightly) easier route to approval for security systems. Plus they wont insist you issue certs on cctv etc unlike NSI

BSIA is a trade association that offers guidance etc and is the liason between the industry and govt / regulations etc. ie BSIA have a heavy membership of BSI. If you have an issue with something the BSIA is the association to contact.

IET as Mr H

Thank you as well James, I appreciate your input too. I guess the SSAIB will probably be the one i'm going to go for to begin with. A side from the 6 months trading & X amount of jobs required to meet there standards are their any costs involved?

I've been doing private work here and there in between my current employment, I've only recently registered a limited company afterwoods so I dont suppose I would be allowed to add them in to my registered company profile as they fell outside the time stamps, plus I wouldnt know whether they had fallen short of the SSAIB's requirements without ever having that paper work... Bummer..

Has anyone got any links to the SSAIB's standards / requirements or will I just have to contact them on their website and request them?

Thanks again gents.

Why do you say that then?

Anyone that has been in this industry long enough to want to start up on their own already know exactly which inspectorate, and have a good idea of the requirements needed. I knew all the options before I made any decisions as to which way I was going. I know that's why your asking here, but I knew because I had been working in the industry and it was my job to know. With respect to all the very many experienced people on here they cannot tell you a magic code that will give you everything you need to know to make a success, whereas experience will.

I wouldnt recomend anyone starting up on their own without at least five years experience of working for an approved co

Your original post sounded a bit like: "I've never installed a alarm but I've seen a picture of one once, so I'm gonna start up my own company what do I need" In otherwords you are asking basic questions and If you have to ask basic questions then you are not ready, hence my questioning your experience

James thats the second time ive read that on here. Im NICEIC and i NEVER issue their cert preffering my own.

There is no requirement to issue a trade association certificate. Installation certificates are freely available to anyone approved or not.

Customers!

Anyone that has been in this industry long enough to want to start up on their own already know exactly which inspectorate, and have a good idea of the requirements needed. I knew all the options before I made any decisions as to which way I was going. I know that's why your asking here, but I knew because I had been working in the industry and it was my job to know. With respect to all the very many experienced people on here they cannot tell you a magic code that will give you everything you need to know to make a success, whereas experience will.

I wouldnt recomend anyone starting up on their own without at least five years experience of working for an approved co

Your original post sounded a bit like: "I've never installed a alarm but I've seen a picture of one once, so I'm gonna start up my own company what do I need" In otherwords you are asking basic questions and If you have to ask basic questions then you are not ready, hence my questioning your experience

I suppose that's down to personal opinion really.

I did also mention in my initial post that I've done my integrated security systems diploma among other bits; exams and training which all included British and European standards and covered all the inspectorate's that I mentioned, which Is why I knew to ask about them in the first place, you should know that. The main reason I asked was primarily because its been a while since I took them, I've got a short memory, plus I keep reading conflicting comments about which ones are better to have in posts found on this forum. Its not like I haven't been working to standard for years working for an international facilities company.

Also I prefer the novice approach over the know it all, that's how you learn things. :thumbsup:

That's a bit of a random number, especially when you consider the fact that some people learn allot quicker and gain allot more experience and knowledge than others in lesser time.

James thats the second time ive read that on here. Im NICEIC and i NEVER issue their cert preffering my own.

There is no requirement to issue a trade association certificate. Installation certificates are freely available to anyone approved or not.

Hi jb-eye, did you do your C&G 2330 Part I/II or C&G 236 to become a spark. I see they have a C&G 2357 now, which covers renewable technology training; i'm guessing thats the one to do now.. Any ideas?

Archived