Security Installer Community

Tamper Alarm

Guest chumbawumba

Alan - Yes, if I ever get it sorted I will certainly post back. The problem is, of course, that it is an intermittent problem so I might do something and then no false alarms occur for six months and I might think it is sorted and then all of a sudden off it will go again. However, the damn thing went off at about 5 a.m. this morning! That makes three times in the last four days which is a far higher frequency of false alarms than it has been in the past (once every few months).

Unfortunately, I was out last night and not able to do any more tweaking on the system.

One more question if I may pose it. Some of the keys on the keypad are getting worn in the sense that now you have to push them quite hard to get the numbers to register. In fact we changed our code because of this. Is it possible to replace just that element of the control panel, or do you have to replace the whole panel?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alan - Yes, if I ever get it sorted I will certainly post back. The problem is, of course, that it is an intermittent problem so I might do something and then no false alarms occur for six months and I might think it is sorted and then all of a sudden off it will go again. However, the damn thing went off at about 5 a.m. this morning! That makes three times in the last four days which is a far higher frequency of false alarms than it has been in the past (once every few months).

Unfortunately, I was out last night and not able to do any more tweaking on the system.

One more question if I may pose it. Some of the keys on the keypad are getting worn in the sense that now you have to push them quite hard to get the numbers to register. In fact we changed our code because of this. Is it possible to replace just that element of the control panel, or do you have to replace the whole panel?

tbh chris,

given the type of faults you have at the moment, i would (if i were you) at this stage call in an experienced engineer.

i think the RS700 is now obsolete, parts i'm not sure on availability, but the keypad can possibly be dismantled and carefully cleaned to restore the button functions, he may even have a spare and it would worth swapping it out against time repairing it.

the tamper faults may seem very tricky to you to find, but when on site a decent service engineer well aware of his meter and how to use it effectively, will normally zero in very qickly. even if he can't identify the fault immediately, he will split them up onto zones to see which loop is causing the issue, it's simply just what we do for a crust :yes: .

as you might require a couple of visits, a local company (if you don't know of one by recommend best use a NSI/SSAIB registered one) would be your best option, to reduce any travelling time charges.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

tbh chris,

given the type of faults you have at the moment, i would (if i were you) at this stage call in an experienced engineer.

i think the RS700 is now obsolete, parts i'm not sure on availability, but the keypad can possibly be dismantled and carefully cleaned to restore the button functions, he may even have a spare and it would worth swapping it out against time repairing it.

the tamper faults may seem very tricky to you to find, but when on site a decent service engineer well aware of his meter and how to use it effectively, will normally zero in very qickly. even if he can't identify the fault immediately, he will split them up onto zones to see which loop is causing the issue, it's simply just what we do for a crust :yes: .

as you might require a couple of visits, a local company (if you don't know of one by recommend best use a NSI/SSAIB registered one) would be your best option, to reduce any travelling time charges.

regs

alan

Thanks for the advice. I'm gravitating to that view myself, but what's put me off so far is the intermittent nature of the fault. I don't know how easy it is to find the fault if the system is not displaying the faulty behaviour when the engineer is there. I am grateful to everyone here for the suggestions which certainly helps in focusing down on areas to look at and also in giving me a better understanding of how everything works.

I will certainly take your advice with regard to choosing a registered company.

You can't get the NETLED keypad anymore, but you can fit a NETSTAR instead, so in answer to your question you can just change the keypad.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for not updating this topic. The system seemed to settle down after a period of five or six days when the LID TAMP went every day, we've now not had one false alarm for about 10 days. I still want to deal with the problem, so with the aid of a neighbour and his ladder, I tried to have a look at the bell box today to see if that might be where the problem is. Unfortunately, I did not realise that you cannot cancel the alarm with a regular user code, so as soon as I started to unscrew the screws to remove the bell-box cover, the alarm went off (I had removed the fuse so that the mains was disconnected) and we could not cancel it using my code.

Is the only way to kill the bell box alarm to use the Engineer Code? I could not see anything else in the user manual that would allow me to silence the bell box alarm. If I can't get the Engineer code is there anyway to silence the bell-box alarm without it, i.e by taking off the cover and doing something inside once the cover is off?

Thanks for any help.

Apologies for not updating this topic. The system seemed to settle down after a period of five or six days when the LID TAMP went every day, we've now not had one false alarm for about 10 days. I still want to deal with the problem, so with the aid of a neighbour and his ladder, I tried to have a look at the bell box today to see if that might be where the problem is. Unfortunately, I did not realise that you cannot cancel the alarm with a regular user code, so as soon as I started to unscrew the screws to remove the bell-box cover, the alarm went off (I had removed the fuse so that the mains was disconnected) and we could not cancel it using my code.

Is the only way to kill the bell box alarm to use the Engineer Code? I could not see anything else in the user manual that would allow me to silence the bell box alarm. If I can't get the Engineer code is there anyway to silence the bell-box alarm without it, i.e by taking off the cover and doing something inside once the cover is off?

Thanks for any help.

hi chris,

sorry, we can not divulge that kind of information as it could compromise many other alarm systems security. you really should engage an experienced engineer to resolve the problems as previously advised.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived