Security Installer Community

Tamper Alarm

Guest chumbawumba

I'm just going from am average of the few companies i've worked for...

around 60+vat ish for a service...maybe more if it's a callout to a customer without a contract

and around20-30 +vat for a battery

usually for someone in your position i would have thought £100 all in would be what most companies charge

If you don't know......ask.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

£14 for the battery..? Until he gets to the front door, then it`ll be "That`s what prices start from, that size is £25". Even so, it seems a very reasonable price for a full service & battery.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

• 11 months later...
Guest chumbawumba

Hi All,

I'm resurrecting this thread from a year ago... This tamper problem still happens now and again. The engineer who came round changed the battery and tested the sensors but could not find any problems. He put his multimeter on the terminals and got "normal" readings.

He suggested that the problem could lie with the bell box but wasnt sure. He left me instructions about how to isolate the bell box from the alarm so that if the bell box was faulty then it wouldnt set the tamper alarm off. I did this by putting a jumper between two terminals on the alarm console. The problem is still around and the tamper alarm sounds about once every two months. The bell box makes a soft whining sound while this is going on.

Can anyone suggest anything about how to track down this problem? If not, can you tell me how to disable the entire alarm? We dont need it powered up.

Thanks

Neil

Hi Neil, where abouts you based?? Seems like the other chappy hasn't pleased you if he's not fixed the problem, sometimes it's more common sense than a meter.... as I've found out. Could be a few things to be honest with you, firstly it might be the panel itself as if you are still on the xm it's getting a little dated and might have developed a fault... I'd had a new one with cracked panel pcb, when you touched it the thing went into tamper. Another suggestion for you... have you noticed any radio users around you (transmitters... antennas) for ham/cb... another possible cause rfi as it's refered to. Or another suggestion is induced ac from mains wiring which may peak from time to time and cause an intermittant fault.

I'm not sure we can openly tell you how to disable your alarm on here as that would open a huge can of worms, I'd personally have someone to come out again and take a peak as it's been a year ago now and the whole system would usally be due a service. If the panel is faulty then it's not a major cost to replace it and bearing in mind it's your security at risk by disabling it then really it's a small price to pay for a sound investment (no pun intended)... sound investment.

I'd try posting your location on here as I'm sure we'd all be willing to help...if you do get someone out to it then please do mention all the above to them.... if they tell you your talking rubbish or look at you blank faced then they don't know a great deal obviously. Someone on here will be reading the thread and will know a little about your history problems with the system and would highly recommend any of the installers on here, really would be worth checking it out again before binning the intruder alarm idea.... also if it's beggered then the engineer can disconnect it for you whilst on site and save you the trouble, at least you'll know and you win from both sides. Good luck :)

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Id say bell problem, most panels only sound internal on a tamper unless the system is set. The thing that puzzles me is that its linked out in the panel, unless there is some sort of short between + and tr/0v that is not enough to blow the fuse.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I dont agree with local ham users causing a tamper unless its wireless but thats in my experience lol sounds 99% as though its bell tamper because I was under the impression that any tamper causing the bell to go off is the bell tamper because the bell lid has self activated causing the alarm to go off. Any other tamper should only ring inside as long as the system is disarmed. Put a new bellbox up and problem solved!

Trade Member

sounds 99% as though its bell tamper because I was under the impression that any tamper causing the bell to go off is the bell tamper because the bell lid has self activated causing the alarm to go off.  Any other tamper should only ring inside as long as the system is disarmed.  Put a new bellbox up and problem solved!

62721[/snapback]

Assuming that it isn't a cable fault and that it is all wired up correctly. ;)

Archived