Security Installer Community

Tamper Alarm

Guest chumbawumba

Alan - Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your suggestion. That seems like a worthwhile thing to try replacing the tamper alarm in the control box. I had a good look at it yesterday to see if there was anything physical (dust/spider etc.) that might account for a possible false alarm but the box seemed quite clean and there was nothing I could see at all wrong with the spring. It's certainly a fairly simple thing to try to see if the problem goes away. Intermittent problems are always the worst. I did mention it to the service engineer when I was on the annual service contract but he did not seem to be able to suggest anything so I will do a little phoning around and see if I can find another company to do this for me.

Thanks again.

Chris.

Alan - Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your suggestion. That seems like a worthwhile thing to try replacing the tamper alarm in the control box. I had a good look at it yesterday to see if there was anything physical (dust/spider etc.) that might account for a possible false alarm but the box seemed quite clean and there was nothing I could see at all wrong with the spring. It's certainly a fairly simple thing to try to see if the problem goes away. Intermittent problems are always the worst. I did mention it to the service engineer when I was on the annual service contract but he did not seem to be able to suggest anything so I will do a little phoning around and see if I can find another company to do this for me.

Thanks again.

Chris.

your welcome Chris,

if you were to post what part of London your in, then members who cover it can contact you - you might even get me (OMG) as i cover the M25 + about 20 mile west and south of it.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Lid Tamper on TS700 can be 3 things. Panel Lid tamper, bell tamper or anything connected to the auxiliary tamper.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I'm in West London. Ealing Area.

In reply to breff, that's what my manual states, i.e. that the LID TAMP code corresponds to three possibilities, Lid Tamper, SAB tamper (and a quick google tells me that SAB is a self actuating bell, which I presume means that it is the box outside on the wall) and also Aux Tamper. So a couple more questions.

1. What is the Aux(iliary) tamper?

2. How do I rule out the possibility that it is the SAB? It is reasonably accessible, so I could pop up a ladder and check if there is anything obvious. From what I can see there should be a battery in there. Anything else obvious to check?

Thanks again to everyone offering suggestions.

Auxiliary tamper are a pair of terminals on the circuit board which are quite often linked out, extra power supplies, speech diallers, speakers etc can have their tamper circuits connected to it.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I seem to remember the optima range panel tamper switch occasionallt needed the spring stretching slightly otherwise the tamper would spuriously activate...usually caused by the installing engineer hanging a screwdriver from the spring to close the tamper switch :rolleyes:

If at first you don't succeed...don't try skydiving!

Thanks to everyone for the extra information and suggestions.

First of all I don't think the auxiliary tamper will have anything connected to it. We have a basic system with four PIRs, two door switches (one front door, one garage) and a panic alarm. The system has no speakers and is not connected to a phone line or anything else like that. However it should not be too hard to check and I will do that.

The tamper alarm in the main control panel box seemed fine, at least to a visual inspection but that would not rule out a potential problem with the electronics. However I can easily stretch the spring out a bit and see if that helps. The box was very clean, free from dust and cobwebs and whatnot.

I think the next step is clearly to have a look at the bellbox and see if that is where the problem might be. Since it's external and exposed to the elements, then it may well be that a leak or hole somewhere has enabled some corrosion to start. I can't recall exactly when this problem started. We've had the system for about 8-9 years and my feeling is that it started to do this in the last 3-4 years. I definitely mentioned it to the service engineer when we had annual checks and it is probably 3 years or so since the last one. It used to be very rare, say once or twice a year, but the frequency of these false alarms is going up (three times in the last ten days or so) so I would really like to sort it out if I can.

Thanks to everyone for the extra information and suggestions.

First of all I don't think the auxiliary tamper will have anything connected to it. We have a basic system with four PIRs, two door switches (one front door, one garage) and a panic alarm. The system has no speakers and is not connected to a phone line or anything else like that. However it should not be too hard to check and I will do that.

The tamper alarm in the main control panel box seemed fine, at least to a visual inspection but that would not rule out a potential problem with the electronics. However I can easily stretch the spring out a bit and see if that helps. The box was very clean, free from dust and cobwebs and whatnot.

I think the next step is clearly to have a look at the bellbox and see if that is where the problem might be. Since it's external and exposed to the elements, then it may well be that a leak or hole somewhere has enabled some corrosion to start. I can't recall exactly when this problem started. We've had the system for about 8-9 years and my feeling is that it started to do this in the last 3-4 years. I definitely mentioned it to the service engineer when we had annual checks and it is probably 3 years or so since the last one. It used to be very rare, say once or twice a year, but the frequency of these false alarms is going up (three times in the last ten days or so) so I would really like to sort it out if I can.

hi chris,

i hope you will evetually post back with the final 'fix', but i'm still nailing my colours to the panel lid contact being duff (having dealt with several on this model in the past) this is assuming the sab lid is secure, but lets see ;) .

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived