Security Installer Community

Adt Alarm Goes Off, New Property

Hi,

I had bought a property about 6 months ago which already have ADT alarm "Ademco Microtech Galaxy 8 Plus CP171" installed and was used by the previous owners. Obviously before they left, they unsubscribed from ADT. Last week I had a ADT engineer visit and he offered that alarm is already installed and can be directly activated for monitoring (but No police calls) for 25 pounds per month.

Yesterday night my 2 years ki randomly pressed some buttons and it started beeping showing "Alarm is active" on the keypad. I called ADT and they said either I have to subscribe with them or have to get the alarm ripped off from my local electrician or leave it the way it is. He told me a code to "mute" the alarm. So not its not beeping but still shows "Alarm is active" on the keypad.

I have following questions

1) Can I reset the alarm, assign a new code and use the alarm without paying ADT (ofcourse ADT will not monitor)?

2) How can I reset the code myself and how hard is it?

3) Surprisingly ADT the box fixed on the outside wall didnt make any noise. Is this normal? Engineer who I spoke to said good that it didnt go off as otherwise they had to send an engineer to stop it. So he said insider alarm must be because of some invalid codes entered or power supply failure etc.

4) Is there any way I can configure this alarm system to call my mobile number? It is currently connected to the phone line and is perhaps configured to call ADT.

Thanks in advance

1) Can I reset the alarm, assign a new code and use the alarm without paying ADT (ofcourse ADT will not monitor)?

Yes, but it will need some reprogramming

2) How can I reset the code myself and how hard is it?

If you know the manager code (the high level user code not the engineer code) then yes.

3) Surprisingly ADT the box fixed on the outside wall didnt make any noise. Is this normal? Engineer who I spoke to said good that it didnt go off as otherwise they had to send an engineer to stop it. So he said insider alarm must be because of some invalid codes entered or power supply failure etc.

Previously you had a monitored alarm. So an external bell while preferable was not essential. ADT do i think offer them but at an additional cost. Im assuming the previous owner elected to save that cost. The regs state you need 1 self powered sounder, this can be inside or out.

4) Is there any way I can configure this alarm system to call my mobile number? It is currently connected to the phone line and is perhaps configured to call ADT.

Yes, but then you will need some sort of monitoring. This starts at around £60 per annum depending on what you want to do, telephone type etc. It will be configured to call adt currently but that can be reprogrammed.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thanks all for the reply.

I live in Cheshunt (near Enfield), Hertfordshire area.

1) Any idea how much would it cost me to call a local firm engineer, reprograme the current device, give me the new codes and have monitorying enabled by the local company?

ADT asking £25 per month with 3 years contract(only monitoring, no call to police). Seems to be tied up for too long and would rather go for local firm if provides me the same features reusing the installed monitoring alarm.

2) As I own the house and ADT alarm was already installed including the quipment (galaxy 8), Do I own the galaxy 8 equipment and can reuse the alarm system with local firms legally?

Thanks.

1) Any idea how much would it cost me to call a local firm engineer, reprograme the current device, give me the new codes and have monitorying enabled by the local company?

If you were in our area we would quote (assuming the alarm is all ok) standard maint contract at approx £120 per annum. Monitoring at approx £70 per annum and a one off takeover fee (i have assumed its a small system) of £55. All plus vat. The police response wouldnt cost any more per annum but it would need setting up.

2) As I own the house and ADT alarm was already installed including the quipment (galaxy 8), Do I own the galaxy 8 equipment and can reuse the alarm system with local firms legally?

I dont know. It depends on the original contract. It may be rented.

Hi,

I'm in a similar position as the original post....

I had bought a property about 5 years ago which already have ADT alarm "Ademco Microtech Galaxy 8 Plus CP171" installed and was used by the previous owners. Before they left, they unsubscribed from ADT but left me no codes. The alarm has not ben used by me in 5 years. I now want to use the alarm. I have a user manual, but when I switch the power on to the main unit, the alarm in house starts going off and the keypad says "Alarm is Active". ADT want to charge me a small fortune to view / reset the alam and £25 a month monitoring.

All I'm looking to do is use the alarm without any monitoring.

Is there anywhere I can find the installation / service / engineers manual so that I can reset the whole thing an program from fresh?

Many thanks

Paul G

(Banbury)

We cant give details like that in public, it could be used to disable your system for example when its up and running again.

Also the engineer manual doesnt detail that infomation.

As with the OP it can be reprogrammed to work audible only (ie bells) but you probably dont have an external bell so it may be not much use then.

Archived