Security Installer Community

Home Alarm With Web Interface?

jaykay1975

Hi all

I currently have a self installed Texecom Premier 24 house alarm fitted and working well. However, does anyone know if there is a good application / plug-in that I can integrate with my system to allow me to control it (activate / deactivate / monitor) over the internet?

I have a comm module fitted that allows me to connect into the main control unit, but I've never used it (no cables or software), but from what I've read its pretty much just a programming interface and nothing more. I dont want an sms from the alarm, I'd like an e-mail with the details if its been activated while I am away.

Surely with the way technology had moved on over the past 10 years companies like Texecom should be encouraging web connectivity / intergation of their systems.

Sorry for the part rant, but anyone got a solution or opinion?

cheers

Unfortunately the investment in security is only as good as the front end input (customers) and the majority of customers would rather spend more on the games console than the equipment to protect it and the home they and the family live in.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Why do people insist that they want to arm/disarm their alarm system via the web. This feature would be very rarely used I would think. Spending the money on proper monitoring would be more worth while I'm sure.

QFA I cant think of one time when I have left the house without setting the alarm,(Its a bit like leaving the house with the door unlocked never done that either) and I cant think of any reason as to why I wouold want to disarm remotely. Also if your not there how do you know that it has set?

QFA I cant think of one time when I have left the house without setting the alarm,(Its a bit like leaving the house with the door unlocked never done that either) and I cant think of any reason as to why I wouold want to disarm remotely. Also if your not there how do you know that it has set?

Please stop using logical argument the sub always knowes best.....

Mr? Veritas God

I rarely use the physical keypad. It's fixed in a cupboard, as I don't want it on a wall in the house. I use my phone to set/unset the system. I use my phone for many things, so why not setting/unsetting the alarm ? You can't stop technology, just embrace it ;)

What, using a phone ?

Just take a look at Honeywell in the US markets. I know the US market is a different kettle of fish, but do you think that the big security/manufacturing companies will turn away the opportunity for recurring revenue from connected systems? Some of the newer systems are blowing the cobwebs off the older tech, and in my humble opinion, about time too.

It needs to be done carefully yo comply in the EU. ie is the phone graded. Does it become portable ace or a keypad in this case.

Id agree it needs embracing and i would also want to use my phone. Not for arming, but for logs, is it set etc etc.

I can use my phone to control my telly, heating etc but i tend to use the IR remote and the thermostat.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Id agree it needs embracing and i would also want to use my phone. Not for arming, but for logs, is it set etc etc.

^^This. I would'nt want arming/disarming, I suspect that would be a gimick and only used once by most people and be more trouble than its worth.

However Id like to have something similar to arc logs on my mobile, but with an extended format from the panel.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

It needs to be done carefully yo comply in the EU. ie is the phone graded. Does it become portable ace or a keypad in this case.

I suppose it's an area of ambiguity. Are the PC's that installers use to dial-in to current systems graded ? If audited, is there any way of telling what the remotely connecting device actually is ? If you look at Honeywell's connected offering, you can currently connect with PSTN/GSM/GPRS/Ethernet and set/unset the system. All these current offerings are graded and approved.

Are the PC's that installers use to dial-in to current systems graded ?

No but not used for arming disarming so a different issue.

If audited, is there any way of telling what the remotely connecting device actually is ?

Yes if setup to

If you look at Honeywell's connected offering, you can currently connect with PSTN/GSM/GPRS/Ethernet and set/unset the system. All these current offerings are graded and approved.

Only if you have a user code or the remote code is set that way. Installer should not disarm. There is a reg that covers it.

Dont get me wrong. Im with you but just cos you can doesnt mean you should. Id agree with status etc but i think remote arming needs use with caution. I get enough issues of people arming system when the building is occupied when they are on site. Imagine the false alarms if this could be done remotly. Also makes your mobile even more valuable to a thief. I like the idea of using nfc for arming etc, but not sure i like the idea of clients being able to do this as standard

Thanks for posting all the various comments and opinions. There are many reasons why I want to arm / disarm / monitor my system over the web. Working away from home a fair bit, I like to keep an remote eye on mi casa. I have remote access to my CCTV, I have remote access to switch lights on and off and play music through the home system if needs be... all via my phone / laptop wherever I am in the world. Sure, some might say that’s not going to prevent a burglary, of help me sort out the mess after one, but it all helps me sleep a bit better when I'm not there physically.

Unfortunately I don’t have the time to fully automate the house, but to get an e-mail (copied to local friends or family) about what part of my alarm has been activated and at what time, should be possible. My neighbours have a set of keys, but I don’t want them having the alarm details and have to train them on how to use it ... so to be able to disarm and arm remotely would help there.

I just feel (from my own research) that the solutions in this particular sector (domestic security) are archaic and the entire sector has been massively slow to move on. The technology is there right now, and available at a very low cost! As long as you can do some very basic wiring for a few sensors / PIR’s etc, you should be able to buy a nice simple (but robust) back end solution to plug them all into.... plug-n-play (seriously!).... web interface to configure your entire set-up with a graphical front end, all complying to highest internet security standards ... It can all be done today. I thought someone on this forum was going to tell me it had already been done. (if not – there certainly has to be a big gap in the market for someone savvy enough).

No but not used for arming disarming so a different issue.

So, if for example a security department within a company is using Honeywell's Galaxy Gold Etc, they aren't allowed to set and unset remotely with their Windows PC software ?

Yes if setup to

Any compute device can emulate standard software, so what is actually at the other end of the wire is an unknown entity. It may seem like and be logged by the control panel as a specific entity, but it may be something completely different.

Only if you have a user code or the remote code is set that way. Installer should not disarm. There is a reg that covers it.

Dont get me wrong. Im with you but just cos you can doesnt mean you should. Id agree with status etc but i think remote arming needs use with caution. I get enough issues of people arming system when the building is occupied when they are on site. Imagine the false alarms if this could be done remotly. Also makes your mobile even more valuable to a thief. I like the idea of using nfc for arming etc, but not sure i like the idea of clients being able to do this as standard

I agree with you. Blindly setting and unsetting a system should be avoided. I never really use my phone for that anyway, but it does give me the capability if an SMS or Voice Message comes through telling me than an event has ocurred and I need to take remedial action.

On the comment about the phone's value, it really depends on the application specifics. Wouldn't it be easier to just steal someones keys with their prox tag attached, go to their home, unlock the door and swipe the tag against the nearest reader? I suppose it's worth taking their phone too, as it'll probably tell you where their home is :(

Thanks for posting all the various comments and opinions. There are many reasons why I want to arm / disarm / monitor my system over the web. Working away from home a fair bit, I like to keep an remote eye on mi casa. I have remote access to my CCTV, I have remote access to switch lights on and off and play music through the home system if needs be... all via my phone / laptop wherever I am in the world. Sure, some might say that’s not going to prevent a burglary, of help me sort out the mess after one, but it all helps me sleep a bit better when I'm not there physically.

Unfortunately I don’t have the time to fully automate the house, but to get an e-mail (copied to local friends or family) about what part of my alarm has been activated and at what time, should be possible. My neighbours have a set of keys, but I don’t want them having the alarm details and have to train them on how to use it ... so to be able to disarm and arm remotely would help there.

I just feel (from my own research) that the solutions in this particular sector (domestic security) are archaic and the entire sector has been massively slow to move on. The technology is there right now, and available at a very low cost! As long as you can do some very basic wiring for a few sensors / PIR’s etc, you should be able to buy a nice simple (but robust) back end solution to plug them all into.... plug-n-play (seriously!).... web interface to configure your entire set-up with a graphical front end, all complying to highest internet security standards ... It can all be done today. I thought someone on this forum was going to tell me it had already been done. (if not – there certainly has to be a big gap in the market for someone savvy enough).

It's not really about the 'savvy', it's about the regulations and there are many. There are many systems out there from the cheap and nasty to the professionally graded products that do what you require.

As far as web based control, it just so happens that I was talking to a Swedish company the other day, and they have a web based management suite in the works for the Galaxy range. Basically a web based implementation of RSS/UMS. Not sure if this will be approved Europe wide though.

id agree the industry seems slow to respond but if you look at security via the it world they are even slower to allow access. We need to remember that security is the key bit here not convenience. however i do agree we need more. But not at the expense of security.

gal guy. there is no way under the current regs that will be permitted. But i can say its being discussed at a high level reg wise. There are many things that need to be in place first. My own belief is that it should use ssh and certs but there are various options. Im anti http currently

Well my life will only be complete when the iflush app hits the market for the WiFi wc....

make do with a Wii instead?

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Archived