Security Installer Community

Defender Wireless Gsm System

johnnyd

Hi Danny

OK thanks for the recommend, i don't know this kit at all, do you know if the powermax+ or powermax complete is the better system? and why ;)

Many Thnaks

JD

I wouldnt go there!

Even if it does what it says on the tin what if it goes wrong?

I doubt there will be any back up or help if it does.

If your looking for a cheap wireless pannel why not try the powermax plus kit from security warehouse?

It all depends on what you mean by better?

What features do you require?

Different engineers will recommend different systems some swear by the powermax plus others swear at it the same can be said for any other system you can buy.

If you advise us of what you require from the system and a budget im sure most of the members on here will be more than happy to suggest a system.

Regards

Danny

well it would be nice to have GSM/mobile access to set reset the system, and maybe IP/BB access to it also, the ability to add/upgrade in a few years would be good, so something current and not near end of line would be good. I have a current alarm system, so guess my existing wired bell box will be OK ?

Many Thanks

JD

Your existing bell box should be ok you will have to note how it is wired though and transfer that to the new pannel.

I would suggest a honeywell g2 2-20 or 2-44 if you want to add to or upgrade in the future as these are hybrid pannels and will allow you to add wireless detectors and contacts at a later date without having to run cables. It also means you might be able to salvage some of your existing kit.

As far as gsm/mobile moduals go they are very expensive most more than the cost of the pannel and not having much to do with

them myself i could not recommend anything to you.

There may be more information about gsm in other threads so have a look around and see what you can find.

Sorry i cant be more helpful.

Regards

Danny

Hi Danny

OK many thanks for you help, I am quite impressed by the Powermax+ as it seems to have most of the stuff i need, and the GSM module is only 150 quid, compared to the honeywell which is 250+, Its replacing my current Bosch Abacus wireless system as i need remotes for this system now, and cant find any anywhere ? Do you know if they are still available ?

Best Regards

John Devine

Your existing bell box should be ok you will have to note how it is wired though and transfer that to the new pannel.

I would suggest a honeywell g2 2-20 or 2-44 if you want to add to or upgrade in the future as these are hybrid pannels and will allow you to add wireless detectors and contacts at a later date without having to run cables. It also means you might be able to salvage some of your existing kit.

As far as gsm/mobile moduals go they are very expensive most more than the cost of the pannel and not having much to do with

them myself i could not recommend anything to you.

There may be more information about gsm in other threads so have a look around and see what you can find.

Sorry i cant be more helpful.

Regards

Danny

• 3 months later...

Hi Danny

OK i did go for a powermax system which is really nice.....one question i have. my existing system has a 6 core going to te ext bell box and all 6 wires are used

Black is 0v. Red is 12v. blue is Bell sw. white is Strobe sw. green is tamper F and yellow is tamper R.

Does anyone know how i connect this to the powermax pro ?

Many thanks in anticipation

JohnnyD

OK many thanks for you help, I am quite impressed by the Powermax+ as it seems to have most of the stuff i need, and the GSM module is only 150 quid, compared to the honeywell which is 250+, Its replacing my current Bosch Abacus wireless system as i need remotes for this system now, and cant find any anywhere ? Do you know if they are still available ?

Best Regards

John Devine

LOL yes it was. this was the question.....

Hi Danny

OK i did go for a powermax system which is really nice.....one question i have. my existing system has a 6 core going to te ext bell box and all 6 wires are used

Black is 0v. Red is 12v. blue is Bell sw. white is Strobe sw. green is tamper F and yellow is tamper R.

Does anyone know how i connect this to the powermax pro ?

Many thanks in anticipation

Is your question buried in that quote somewhere?

Given the choice between being punched in the face & given this this alarm system for free,

$(KGrHqR,!joE6+W!OpE)BO3K6vrujQ~~60_12.JPG

I'd happly go with the punch......

LOL, i'm up your way next week or the week after, i'll bring one with us. :D

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

• 8 months later...

OK, guys,

Hope you are ready for this...   Bought the Defender GSM with a bit of fear and trembling, but do you know what - it's actually pretty good and does what it says on the box.  To be fair, some of the chinese made components look, how should I say this.... cheap. but thinking about it, the system is er... cheap. 

I stuck a virgin payg sim in with direct debit so it' won't run out. connected up a strobe siren, some pirs, some door contacts, a smoke alarm, a gas alarm and a keypad.  It took a couple of hours. Another hour to program in the numbers and a message and bobs your uncle - works like a dream.

The property is a holiday home so now the Defender will tell me whenever the power goes off, if there is a breakin, if there is a fire and it won't worry if the power is cut or if the phonelines are cut cos it's pretty much a stand alone system.  So for a couple of hundred pounds i got me a good system that has worked efficiently, at least for the last year with only one false alarm ( someone forgot to disarm before entering! )

Now, you guys who earn your living by installing more expensive products are probably going to be pretty miffed by this but I read your extremely biased reviews above and thought that someone who actually had the kit should let you know how it performed.  Right? and before you ask, I don't have any connection with any of the companies that sell these.  If I did, I wouldn't mention the absolutely diabolical instructions translated literally from the Chinese and the fiasco of trying to get the sim card into a slot that if you missed would drop down into the control box and be lost for ever.

But besides these problems I still believe it a good bit of kit.

Thanks for your post. But there is a lot more to a system than it appearing to work. It doesnt meet any standard compliance so who knows how it would perform if targeted for attack. 

Im sure its fine for DIY and similar to the response / yale systems in this regard. 

We are not allowed to use it due to it not complying with anything. 

It does fill a space in the market but it should never be confused with a decent equipment that does comply.

There are all sorts of things i could buy from china to replace other more expensive pieces of kit. Cars, mobile phones, Printers, Alarm stuff etc etc.

Would I? No

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thanks for your post. But there is a lot more to a system than it appearing to work. It doesnt meet any standard compliance so who knows how it would perform if targeted for attack. 

Im sure its fine for DIY and similar to the response / yale systems in this regard. 

We are not allowed to use it due to it not complying with anything. 

It does fill a space in the market but it should never be confused with a decent equipment that does comply.

There are all sorts of things i could buy from china to replace other more expensive pieces of kit. Cars, mobile phones, Printers, Alarm stuff etc etc.

Would I? No

Have to be in agreement, it does look a little wild west.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Given the choice between being punched in the face & given this this alarm system for free,

$(KGrHqR,!joE6+W!OpE)BO3K6vrujQ~~60_12.J

I'd happly go with the punch......

Cool, see you tomorrow, lol

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

OK, guys,

Hope you are ready for this...   Bought the Defender GSM with a bit of fear and trembling, but do you know what - it's actually pretty good and does what it says on the box.  To be fair, some of the chinese made components look, how should I say this.... cheap. but thinking about it, the system is er... cheap. 

I stuck a virgin payg sim in with direct debit so it' won't run out. connected up a strobe siren, some pirs, some door contacts, a smoke alarm, a gas alarm and a keypad.  It took a couple of hours. Another hour to program in the numbers and a message and bobs your uncle - works like a dream.

The property is a holiday home so now the Defender will tell me whenever the power goes off, if there is a breakin, if there is a fire and it won't worry if the power is cut or if the phonelines are cut cos it's pretty much a stand alone system.  So for a couple of hundred pounds i got me a good system that has worked efficiently, at least for the last year with only one false alarm ( someone forgot to disarm before entering! )

Now, you guys who earn your living by installing more expensive products are probably going to be pretty miffed by this but I read your extremely biased reviews above and thought that someone who actually had the kit should let you know how it performed.  Right? and before you ask, I don't have any connection with any of the companies that sell these.  If I did, I wouldn't mention the absolutely diabolical instructions translated literally from the Chinese and the fiasco of trying to get the sim card into a slot that if you missed would drop down into the control box and be lost for ever.

But besides these problems I still believe it a good bit of kit.

It wont inform you of a fire though.

Because it will be the cause of the fire.

hang on guys, he has a point.  i know for one i'm "Now, you guys who earn your living by installing more expensive products are probably going to be pretty miffed by this".

i don't think so.

Archived