Security Installer Community

Galaxy Dimension, Programmable Outputs Query

Hi,

I'm replacing a DSC MAXSYS 4020 with a Galaxy Dimension GD520. All the hard work is done and I'm now programming up the outputs of which there are many. This is the scenario...

RIO on the top floor has a zone, Line 3, Mod 1, Zone 1, which is OPEN when its dark outside (from a loop of two Photodetectors on the roof).

RIO on the ground floor front:

Line 2, Mod 3, Zone 1, which is OPEN when movement detected via Redwall in the garden display area.

Line 2, Mod 3, Out 1, Front Flood Lights and a warning.

RIO on the ground floor rear:

Line 2, Mod 5, Zone 1, which is OPEN when movement detected via Redwall in the car park

RIO on the ground floor side:

Line 2, Mod 4, Zone 1, which is OPEN when movement detected via Redwall in the loading area.

Line 2, Mod 4, Out 1, Side Flood Lights

Line 2, Mod 4, Out 2, Rear Flood Lights

So, logic is simple on the MAXSYS, if the zone in the area is open *and* its night time, then pulse the appropriate output for 300s (5 mins).

In the GD I'm not sure how to achieve this. I can of program the output to follow the respective zones, that works great for the lights in the toilets, corridors, etc, but the floodlights need to ONLY trigger when its dark. I'm sure this is probably as simple as it gets but I just can't find it in the manual (which is a touch poor imo). Please can someone point me in the right direction?

I've also got PIR's in the stairwells which also turn on lights when movement detected *and* its dark, which will follow the same logic once I figure out how to do it with the exterior lights.

Thanks very much.

Hi,

I'm replacing a DSC MAXSYS 4020 with a Galaxy Dimension GD520. All the hard work is done and I'm now programming up the outputs of which there are many. This is the scenario...

RIO on the top floor has a zone, Line 3, Mod 1, Zone 1, which is OPEN when its dark outside (from a loop of two Photodetectors on the roof).

RIO on the ground floor front:

Line 2, Mod 3, Zone 1, which is OPEN when movement detected via Redwall in the garden display area.

Line 2, Mod 3, Out 1, Front Flood Lights and a warning.

RIO on the ground floor rear:

Line 2, Mod 5, Zone 1, which is OPEN when movement detected via Redwall in the car park

RIO on the ground floor side:

Line 2, Mod 4, Zone 1, which is OPEN when movement detected via Redwall in the loading area.

Line 2, Mod 4, Out 1, Side Flood Lights

Line 2, Mod 4, Out 2, Rear Flood Lights

So, logic is simple on the MAXSYS, if the zone in the area is open *and* its night time, then pulse the appropriate output for 300s (5 mins).

In the GD I'm not sure how to achieve this. I can of program the output to follow the respective zones, that works great for the lights in the toilets, corridors, etc, but the floodlights need to ONLY trigger when its dark. I'm sure this is probably as simple as it gets but I just can't find it in the manual (which is a touch poor imo). Please can someone point me in the right direction?

I've also got PIR's in the stairwells which also turn on lights when movement detected *and* its dark, which will follow the same logic once I figure out how to do it with the exterior lights.

Thanks very much.

I'm not going to think this through fully but my quick thought is run the output from the photocells to drive a relay which opens the Galaxy output circuit. In theory your Galaxy outputs will always be working 24/7 but because the photocell is holding a relay open then the Galaxy output can't complete it's funtion.. When it's dark enough for the photocells to operate the relay will close therefore allowing the Galaxy output to do it's thing.

Thanks RFS, I have considered having a second output at each ground floor RIO following the top floor 'its dark' zone. Then loop the flood lights at that RIO through both relays (the output following the movement zone and the output following the 'its dark' zone) but that's going to mean two more RIO's at least as I've only got 4 outs on each unit and will need more. I just thought that this seems such a simple requirement, to have an output require more than one zone to be OPEN before it triggers. Maybe I've over estimated the Galaxy Panel.

Maybe I've over estimated the Galaxy Panel.

Unlikely. How about a single photocell linked into a circuit to give you a light or dark output which you can use in links to achieve what you need??

..but links can't do *and* but not *or* either. The link is one in -> one or more outs. The distributor has apparently asked Honeywell who confirmed simple logic is beyond the panel. Another guy I work with has suggested turning on groups and having a group set and unset based on a link based on the photocell zone, which can then be used to inhibit the output, but that's all theory so far as I haven't tried it. Even if that works its messy as hell and adds a bunch more programming into the deal.

When it comes down to it, if I can't solve this easily then I may well consider pulling the panel and replacing it with something smarter. The whole darn building runs off the panel, lights, climate, doors, power and more. The MAXSYS was a old but great panel that just ran out of capacity :(

Thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated.

I can't see that you need the logic though. Wire a single photocell into a circuit. create a link so that when the photocell circuit is closed (or when it's light out side) then it will shunt out the circuits (you will need to create more than one link for this) of the redwalls, therefore when they are active it won't trigger the pluse for 300sec link. When thet photocell is open (or when it's dark outside) then the other links (ie pluse for 300sec) would be active..

overcomplicated.com

What? The whole task - agree.. or my answer - is there a more efficient way?

Energy efficiant is a great thing - if it can be done (reliably) then why not?

whole task, seems to be going round the houses for quite a simple request imo.

depends, I agree that a "normal" outside lighting system would probably be simpler but it's another standlone system which could be one of many required to achieve several tasks which could be done by a single controller which would minimise energy consumption, maintenance, initial outlay etec et

I see the light! Thank you RFS! I get it now, you mean shunt out the movement zone with the photocell zone? I will try that first thing Monday but sounds like a plan. Much appreciated.

(null)

No worries, let me know how it goes..

Ronnie

Wire the photocell in to a zone. Link all outside light PIRs to that zone. Make sure the photocell is CLOSED in daylight, OPEN at night. As the photocell zone is closed during the day, this will omit the linked outside light pirs. When the photocell opens, they will then become active ;)

affs, that'll teach me for skimming through the thread.

Wire the photocell in to a zone. Link all outside light PIRs to that zone. Make sure the photocell is CLOSED in daylight, OPEN at night. As the photocell zone is closed during the day, this will omit the linked outside light pirs. When the photocell opens, they will then become active ;)

affs, that'll teach me for skimming through the thread.

Is there an echo in here?

It works! Massive thanks to RFS for all your help! I've solved another two scenarios with this link/zone omit deal. I have to admit, when I was first given this job on an unfamiliar panel I had that sinking feeling and it's been slow going but the more I do on this panel the more I like it. I've put a case forward to get a GD on the bench here and get us on a Honeywell training course. With any luck we may get to do more Honeywell which would be nice. Thanks again for all your help.

good stuff :)

I only skimmed through the post, never properly read any replys hence my edit....!

We are reasonably new to Gals, but the links thing is super powerful. I set up something similar for a customer that wanted perimeter beams, linked to arc, not to activate the alarm, but to know which beam had activated......... That only needed to signal when set, so used the same idea as what you needed :)

Archived