Security Installer Community

Bentley Alpha V2/4 Info And/or Suggested Replacement

EdGasket

Hi, I have moved into a house with a wired alarm system with 3 PIRs, radio panic button, and bellbox connected to a Bentley Alpha V2/4 panel with a keyswitch to set and unset the alarm. Does anyone have any service information on the Bentley or any useful wiring diagram? Any information on servicing the system also required.

I am reasonably proficient with electrical/electronics and am thinking of maintaining this system myself rather than continuing the maintenance contract at £125 per annum as that seems rather a lot for an old system, and a complete new system with telephone dialler is not much more.

If I do get a problem with the system, would I be better off just replacing the old panel with a new 'wired' board? I am wondering whether the Accenta Mini G4 Alarm Panel + LCD Keypad - 8SP399A would be a suitable replacement and would it be a straightforward swap? or should I just go wireless with something like the Yale HSA6400 and replace everything? I think I would prefer to stay 'wired' as the wiring is all there and I imagine this is generally more reliable than wireless and less hassle as I would not need to be continually changing batteries.

Any advice appreciated as security alarms are a new DIY area for me.

and am thinking of maintaining this system myself rather than continuing the maintenance contract at £125 per annum as that seems rather a lot for an old system,

assuming an inspectorate co. sounds about an average price & is likley to meet with the requirements of an insurer.

I am wondering whether the Accenta Mini G4 Alarm Panel + LCD Keypad - 8SP399A would be a suitable replacement and would it be a straightforward swap? or should I just go wireless with something like the Yale HSA6400 and replace everything?

as far as I'm aware neither of these declare any complaince with any BS/ En security alarm std ?

Mr? Veritas God

Well whether £125 is a lot or not is relative I guess. Anyway compared to the cost of a new Accenta mini at £43 or the Accenta large at £55, it seems a lot to pay. Over 10 years it would be £1250 assuming they don't increase the charge, which they will. Plus the Bentley Alpha is 20 years old and they are probably going to say it needs replacing with a more up-to-date system anyway which would not be included in the £125.

So leaving aside whether the maintenance fee is reasonable or not, do you know if the alpha panel can be swapped out for the Accenta easily; it looks pretty straightforward from the Accenta instructions ?

(link on this page: ?

I assume 12v is the standard for wired alarm equipment?

Also any wiring info on the Bentley would be useful or should it be reasonably easy to see what's what by the PCB markings inside?

Please No Links

Also any wiring info on the Bentley would be useful or should it be reasonably easy to see what's what by the PCB markings inside?

all the bentley information was on bentley's site,

alarms of this era are mostly doubled poled which means + alarm loops & - tamper loop, diy type panels like the accenta ect.... still support this type of wring for detection circuits

Mr? Veritas God

Thank you for the info Mr Happy and fozzies.

I checked the Bentley website (http://www.bentleysecurity.com/data-sheets/) but cannot find any information on the Alpha board as they only list 6 data sheets on peripheral equipment. I will email them and see what they say.

Can you explain more what "+ alarm loops & - tamper loop," mean? I presume the tamper loop is simply an out and return loop to all devices connected in series. I guess the alarm signal either goes high or low on triggering? I also saw some reference to bell boxes being SAB or SCB? what is the difference please?

PIR detector wiring - can I tell from the wires which is which or will I have to try and decode from where they are connected to the alpha board? (I assume 2 wires are + 12v and ground, 2 wires are tamper loop, and two wires are signal and ground, plus probably two spare cores?)

Thanks again for any info.

SAB/SCB

http://www.thesecuri...post__p__278556

Double Pole Wiring (Alarm and Tamper Loops)

http://www.thesecuri...post__p__271474

I think you may have over looked the post below, all the models you have stated (G4/Yale/R8) are budget panels.

None declare any compliance with BS/EN standards, this and the maintenance agreement maybe important for you home insurance.

Just because it can be done easily, it doesn't mean you should.

http://www.thesecuri...post__p__278720

Information on how to wire all parts of a new panel/system, would be in the installation manual of your new panel.

Normally they come with wiring diagrams.

If you have to take all the wiring apart and treat it like a new system, at least you'll know it's wired as the manual.

Personally I would look after the system you have (if adequate), by keeping a maintenance agreement.

This is what's involved on a preventative maintenance visit.

http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/community/topic/32047-rookie-intruder-alarm-questions/page__view__findpost__p__277080

I don't know whether the existing Alpha panel and bell box are still BS/EN compliant. The bell box can be neutralised by expanding foam and the Bentley alpha panel can be opened with a normal flat-blade screwdriver and the key contacts shorted to reset the alarm in about 15 seconds before the bell has had a chance to ring ! I think either of the Accenta or R8 panels would be a big improvement. If you can recommend a BS/EN approved panel then please suggest one and I'll consider that also.

Thanks for the links to the other posts re SAB/SCB and wiring.

I note your advice ref. continuing the maintenance agreement but remember this is a DIY forum. I am here because I want to learn, maintain or replace the system myself and not keep shelling out on maintenance for an outdated system.

That Bentley panel must be at least 25 years old, must of been looked after very well. Life expectancy for most electrical items is around ten years in most cases. I cant think of any electrical item I have owned that has lasted much beyond 10 years. £125 does seem expensive (Mind you nobody has asked what this includes (It could be fully comp)) but when you consider the panel has lasted twice its life expetancy I reckon its good value for money

The £125 includes maintenance plus callout if there is a problem (does not include monitoring). So it's not bad. But the thing is I could afford to replace almost the entire system every year for less than the maintenance charge if I do the work myself. As I said, the wiring is all there so it's just a connecting up job and a little knowledge.

we still maintain lots of old Bentley panels, very resilient imo and the customers like them.

Why not approach your maint co and ask if they will upgrade as a gesture of goodwill, failing that ask them to review their charges based on a couple of more quotes you could obtain.

A well maintaned system is worth every penny imo and I'm sure you'l agree when it's gone tits up and ringing @ 03:00 on a Sunday morning.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

That's exactly why if I learn how to maintain it, I can fix it sooner than a third party can get to me. There doesn't seem to be anything too difficult about it unless there are any 'engineer mode' or 'lockout ' quirks on the alpha board that have to be reset with special key sequences. Hence my request for any info on this board. Perhaps you can answer this, norman, as you still maintain them? I have had no response from Bentley's themselves.

I have the manuals but you need to be in the trade to allow them to be on the site.

£125 including call outs are not to bad.

Our fee is around £55 a year but not for parts.

The thing is, if your alarm starts ringing in the early hours, will you be able to correct it?

Get a few quotes to see whats around your area.

Update: Bentleys sent through a data sheet on the Alpha :)

Guess I just need to know of anyone's recommendations for a replacement wired panel should the need arise. I suggested a couple which have good reviews but are not BS/EN compliant as pointed out. If anyone has any better recommendation, please post.

But the thing is I could afford to replace almost the entire system every year for less than the maintenance charge if I do the work myself.

Yes you could, but if it goes wrong at silly o clock in the morning you have to fix it too. I could do away with my car breakdown service and if I breakdown simply push my car to the nearest garage, when I think of the money I have paid out in breakdown service fee's when I never breakdown.....but I dont think I will

and neither would I. But I really don't need annual maintenance on an old alarm system that I can sort out myself. I get the impression that the 'trade' posters on here are very anti - DIY which is understandable but I didn't really come on the DIY forum to argue this point or be repeatedly told to pay the trade; rather for useful and helpful advice to get me up and running so I can support my existing alarm or if need be, swap it out for a new board myself. That is what DIY means.

I think the problem with this diy forum is you are the only DIYer, most diyers come here get the advice then go

The trade members are most likely to make sure that you understand the benefits of a service agreement its what we do for a living, I dont know anything about the accenta or the yale alarm, so I commented on what I do know about

Well I have my data sheet for the Alpha v2 now so I have a fighting chance of fixing/maintaining that. I would have thought someone could recommend to me a replacement panel on this forum? So far I have suggested two which have been poo-poo'd because they are not BS/EN compliant. Then someone else says as I am fitting it myself BS/EN does not apply (presumably he means unless fitted by a 'qualified' engineer, the system would not be considered BS/EN compliant even though the board itself is). Someone else said use Yale because the alarm boxes 'Look nice'; even though the Yale system I mentioned was wireless and I think I really want to keep the system wired.

Come on guys, give me some proper advice; what would be your best recommendation for a new panel if you were replacing an alpha board?

Archived