Security Installer Community

Van Speed Limits

petrolhead

Does anyone know where I can find a definitive list of what small vans are subject to the car speed limits of 30/60/70/70 and not 30/50/60/70? Its surprisingly hard to get a straight answer, even emailing Renault, VW, citroen and peugeot via their head office websites asking about the speed limits applicable to their models all I get is " Thank you for your enquiry why dont you come in to the dealership to discuss your requirements..." That kind of weasely **** makes you not want to deal with them at all.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think connects and combos are subject to car speed limits as I've seen plenty of "Limited to 70mph" on them. Some of my old college mates from romec had combos and they were limited to 70mph

Hey Ho, Lets Go

The connects have the lower limit they can only do 70 on a motorway but 60 on a dual carriageway or 50 on a single. I'm trying to find out if the kangoo, bipper or nemo come under the legal classification of a car derived van for speed limit purposes. The kangoo is my favourite but I've tried asking 2 dealers and emailing Renault UK and no one will give me a straight answer. I'm tempted to say sod it and get a merc A class diesel, tint the windows, remove the rear seats and make a bulkhead.

The reason I'm concerned about this is I know a few van drivers have been done recently on the a90 and a92 for doing 70 by the talivans and i've tried but I just cant bring myself to sit at 0 or 60 on an A road its soul destroying.

I was 'done' a few years back-transit van, roof rack etc, 0630 dead straight road going down hill, no other vehicles in sight-coppers under a tree at the bottom, 70 mph-pleaded guilty via post was told I had to attend court in Cirencester as the limit for a 'semi rigid vehicle' on that road was 50, 14 day ban and 200 quid fine-ass wipes!-oh and three points as well.

My old boss was done for 65 on a motorway in Wales is a punto van. Think the only van with the same speed limit as a car is the astra.

both are cars with steel windows......

as per cubits link, less than 2 ton gross weight its car, over 2 ton is van

new berlingo comes in 625 & 850 versions (1960kg & 2185kg) so two vans that look the same can have different limits

if you have a crew cab van thats over 2000kg (say vito/ tranist ect....) then as it got windows after the front doors its under the car speed imits...

Mr? Veritas God

Does anyone know where I can find a definitive list of what small vans are subject to the car speed limits of 30/60/70/70 and not 30/50/60/70?

The connects have the lower limit they can only do 70 on a motorway but 60 on a dual carriageway or 50 on a single. I'm trying to find out if the kangoo, bipper or nemo come under the legal classification of a car derived van for speed limit purposes.

A car-derived van can do the same speed limits as cars/motorcycles if under 2000kg maximum laden weight. (30/60/70/70)

A car-derived van between 2000kg-7500kg maximum laden weight is restricted to speed limits of (30/50/60/70)

Over 7500kg maximum laden weight is (30/40/50/60)

Maximum laden weight is the key as different manufacturers call it different things.

Maximum Laden Weight is also known as Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) or Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW).

This information will be provided on the manufacturer website.

This will get you started....

Kangoo 2 Compact --------------- 1755kg (GVW)

Kangoo 2 Standard ---------------1918kg (GVW)

Kangoo 2 Maxi --------------------2155kg (GVW)

Bipper Euro 5 - -------------------1750kg (GVW)

Caddy 75PS --------------- -------2175kg (GVW)

Caddy Maxi 102PS --------------- 2310kg (GVW)

Peugeot Partner (2 Seat) 75bhp - 1960kg (GVW)

Peugeot Partner (3 Seat) 75bhp - 1980kg (GVW)

Peugeot Partner 92bhp 1.6L ----- 2185kg (GVW)

I'd limit them all electronically to 28mph and ban them from the motorways.

Me too, I'd only get 1 job done per day

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived