Security Installer Community

Use Staples?

but for coax? a no-no imo.

I think it would depend on the quality of the cable, and insulating material.

Never seen any problems on site with un-insulated ones.

There 14mm long so hardly push on the cable at all.

I would if I used one. Someone makes a staple with a "small plastic bridge" for want of a better description, so it only goes as deep as the leg. Hence it wont crush the cable. Think Ive even seen it advertised for Sparkies?

Insulated Staples. Used one for Mains/Shotgun Cable very handy, staples can work out expensive tho.

There's a new type called UTAC which is a solid plastic staple, no metal at all.

UTAC staples are ideal for fixing to wood, fibre-board, all types of wood boards, plasterboard and even solid insulation blocks such as thermalite

arrow, still think no more than 50 volts ?

Only insulated/non metal staples if voltage higher than ELV.

I would be lost without my staplers, used correctly they make cabling look tidy.

• 1 year later...

i'd be a bit carefull with 8 core, it is easy to stick a leg through it and cause issues, 6 core tends to be fine. Stapling around skirting, architrave and coving i find tends to be a lot neater and lest intrusive than trunking. Just run a bit of decorators chalk across the cable to blend it into ceiling/walls. Magnolia chalk is heaven sent :)

Nothing wrong with staple guns in the right hands, I've got a coax staple gun as well, very handy.

ditto +1

cable clips get brittle, offer a possible hazard to children chocking on dislodged bits of them, seen the pin not in the holder but forced through the arch. imho any tool in the wrong hands is simply two tools put together by accident - take a neon screwdriver as example lol!

or perhaps not

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

i'd be a bit carefull with 8 core, it is easy to stick a leg through it and cause issues, 6 core tends to be fine. Stapling around skirting, architrave and coving i find tends to be a lot neater and lest intrusive than trunking. Just run a bit of decorators chalk across the cable to blend it into ceiling/walls. Magnolia chalk is heaven sent :)

But surly under 2m it should be mechanically protected?

Found it.. The Arrow 72. One image ive seen shows it being used with 2.5 T&E

attachicon.gifARROW T72.jpg

There was a special Rapesco gun for 1.0-1.5 T+E mind. Used plastic staples. Gave NICEIC inspectors palpitations when seen!!

To keep mechanics in work

Lets have some more of those jokes, folks...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Staple guns for 6 core etc = great

but for coax? a no-no imo. if you compress the coax you affect its transmission properties higher up the spectrum, making balancing of systems hard to impossible in some cases.ok, if its only 10 meters of cable, but above that, not worth the risk.

Im speaking from knowledge of large aerial systems, but the principal holds true in cctv cabling too.

breff stated 'coax staple gun', so a tool designed for the job, its boils down to experience, its not like using a club hammer instead of a pinning hammer for 6mm hiats :).

for a very short period i worked for a company that used staple guns to lace wire sheet panels under hardboard. no way did i want to risk attending to see large hole on door and rusted wire staples with no a tivation :(.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 7 months later...

They are fine until the staple hits a knot in the timber and flirts the staple into the cable,

Even worse when you don't see the damage until you start chasing your tail when commissioning

Ive used staple guns since I was 14 never had an issue apart from when I've stapled blind and hit the cable. Never had a knot fire an end back into the cable when correctly seated. Not saying it can't happen just never happened to me

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I think it all depends on the engineer and his understanding of the problems you can get not just at commissioning time but later on in the movie , I have always used a staple gun in the correct areas and experience tough me to be careful, Although i do like to trunk were i can or aluminium tubing 

Man after my own thinking.

*disclaimer*

TSI does not condone the use of heavy conduit for use as an offence weapon in inappropriate conditions. A vote on TSI determined use on union representatives, salesmen and NACOSS inspectors did not class as inappropriate conditions.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/