Security Installer Community

Optima Compact Walk Test Problems

Dear experts.

I'm having a few problems setting up the Optima 8EP396A panel in that when I do a walk test it doent go as expected. I figured the panel was knackered so I bought a new one and the reults are identical. Here is what I have done so far. I think the manual is a little ambiguous for first power up.......

Should the mains be connected (does it make any difference?)? The diagram for first power up doesnt display the mains being connected but I dont see why it would make a scrap of difference.

Item 3 . On connecting the battery, the system will go into an alarm condition with an audible alarm indication. After entry of a valid code, there is a tamper indication - done this, 01234 enetered and the alarm goes off, results are as expected.

Item 4 - Fit the cover to hold down the tamper spring at the bottom of the board - I am holding down the tamper screw instead, and its definately making contact as the walk test actually works for this circuit. There are no other switches so the panel will not know i am doing this. I am holding this down throughout all the tests without releasing it. I cant see screwing the panel in will make a jot of difference. trust me, I'm keeping it pressed, do doubts there

Item 5 - Enter the user code, press 0123 factory set code. the alarm condition will cease - what alarm condition, it was ceased at item 3???

NOTE The LCD keypad will show SYSTEM UNSET for 30 seconds first (before showing the date)

Item 6 - Immediately enter the engineer code by pressing P 9999 - Immediately? Immediately after it changes after 30 seconds?

Item 7 - The system is now in enginer mode and can be programmed. Yes it is, this is as expected.

I've done every permutation of the above with respect to holding down the tamp before first entering the code, pressing P9999 before the 30 seconds and after the 30 seconds but the results are the same so I suspect the fact that these instructions dont flow too well, it doesnt actually make any difference as all you are doing is turning off the alarm condition, making the panel secure, then entering walk test.

Now, the same thing happens. If I leave the circuits OPEN (no wires connected at all), then they go to 1 (on the LCD panel) straight away, I guess this isnt a surprise? they should go to one when tested i.e. the circuit is opened. Now, to start with I am just wiring up the entrance door as only one reed switch is attached, its a short run with a resistance of 1.8ohms. When performing the walk test, the result starts off at a zero for an instant before going to a 1, i.e without me opening the circuit. Again to validate my circuit and to verify its not shorting with the tamps etc i have shorted out the circuit so that it cannot open and thus must remain at 0 at all times, it flashes at 0 before instantly changing to 1.

how on earth can I be getting this so wrong.................

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Paul

Hi,

Sorry about that....My question is why when I try and go into the setup/walk test am I unable to perform the walk test properly. The walk test goes to "1" even when the circuit is closed and remains closed. Essentially all I have done is wired the panel up to the mains, added the LCD control panel, I've not set any zones as used or unused etc, but the walk test I would assume should work from the minute it is switched on should it not? Why would the walk test results that should be "0" for each zone until opened go to "1" when the circuit is permanently shorted??

Kind regards

Paul

Program the panel then try it.

Just tried that, but please let me just check what elements you mean by program. I've set zones 2-8 as unused. Only zone 1 set to used. All other defaults left as is. Following first power up instructions to the letter and there is no change in the result, i.e walk test the shorted circuit flashes as 0 then goes immediately to 1. Based on the conclusion that i am doing something wrong, what can be done wrong if all that is connected to the panel are the original factory fit short circuits, an LCD panel, and a shorted zone 1????

Just tried that, but please let me just check what elements you mean by program. I've set zones 2-8 as unused. Only zone 1 set to used. All other defaults left as is. Following first power up instructions to the letter and there is no change in the result, i.e walk test the shorted circuit flashes as 0 then goes immediately to 1. Based on the conclusion that i am doing something wrong, what can be done wrong if all that is connected to the panel are the original factory fit short circuits, an LCD panel, and a shorted zone 1????

battery connected?

bell tamper shorted?

control unit closed?

keypad tamper closed?

breaking the terminals with a BIG screwdriver?

pictures needed me thinks.

If they are not used and open circuit, but progged as 'unused' they still walk test. This caught me out the other week on a G4. Link the spare zones out ;)

he believes he got it sorted by making C1 active in all part sets ........................odder things have happened

Archived