Security Installer Community

Replacing Control Panel

jonm

Hi- I've had some quotes to replace my scantronic 9800 panel ( which has failing keypad buttons) with a new panel. Options seem to be a Galaxy G2-12 with proximity tag, Veritas R8, or Guardall RX16i. There are only 8 zones, bells only system. The PIRs ( 3) are around 17 yrs old. I just hoped for some advice available as to any panel preference from the above, and would it be wise to conisder replacing the PIRs as well at this stage, ( they all seem ok) or leaving these for the present. ( I had posted previously in diy section as I had thought of getting an old 9800 keypad off ebay, but, as advised, decided against this.) Thanks for any advice.

All panels are suitable for the job, the Veritas being the most basic with LED indication rahter than LCD, I also would look to change the pirs. (though 17 years is not a bad life for a pir)

the M600 from Menvier would also be a good choice as long as you have a 6 core to the key pad the end station is about the same size as the old 9800

www.AllanMoncrieffAlarms.com

Thanks for all the advice, decided on the Galaxy in the end, which seems excellent, just a small redecorating issue due to the different size, and rather loud entry exit tones! otherwise excellent. The engineer was definite that the 'sms'text function could not be set up, not quite sure why, so stayed with just sounders. Thanks again.

It *may* work, but still show SMS com fail. (tried it on a RI). Good stuff with the Gal. You can turn the E/E tones off loud speaker, and just have keypad, you still get the setting (loud) confirmation 'beep beep'. For some reason on the 2 series the volume control in the parameters makes no difference. If you want some kind of notification, i'd suggest a SD2 speech dialler.

Guest Galaxy

still not a volume control inside the rkp though is it.

/some engineers!

Another method box side out think

Just to clarify, as 9651 said its the speaker sound that is loud. There are 2 speakers that were used with the 9800 old panel as internal sounders, but now, with the galaxy, the entry / exit tones sound through them as well, making the entry exit seem quite loud throughout the house! We need to retain the speakers as they still act as the internal alarm sounders. Maybe I could have the volume turned down, will probably get used to it tho!

Can be done only through engineer parameters. If the keypad/loud speaker is by the E/E door, the volume can be turned off. The set confirmation (beep beep) will still work (loud) and alarm tones will still be at full volume. :)

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dig this up. Yes, the pcb driven speaker is far too loud on the Galaxy 2 series. The volume control in the engineering program options does actually work, but unfortunately the range is from 'very very loud' at 31 down to 'still too loud' at 1. :( As has been mentioned previously, you can switch the speaker off by selecting 0 and this will silence the speaker for entry/exit, but you still get the set confirmation double-beep (not on night set thank goodness). I'm not sure why Honeywell haven't modified this, as it is one of the few annoying features of the panel.

I must have a look at it on the bench with a view to getting the ideal series resistor value without impacting the adequacy of the speaker as an internal sounder when driven at the max level. Unless anyone has already done this ????

Regards,

Think when we first stared using them, I tried a 1k in it, sounded OK iirc, but the flip side is alarm tones aren't as loud, so might be better to supplement with a msb or something

Archived