Security Installer Community

Hello Everyone

Dane

Hello everyone.

My name is Dane and I was just hired by a security & alarm company here in my home town as an alarm technician. I will be building PC's and systems for our software and hardware(cameras) to run off as well as install and troubleshoot alarm systems.

I have an extensive background in computer hardware and networking but have not done much in the way of installing large scale alarm systems in commercial buildings. I am a quick learner and hope to get on my feet pretty quickly! I have been doing a bit of research on NVR's, Network switches w/ PoE etc; Looking up the different cameras, I.P. vs CCTV and the like.

I will no doubt be asking questions and, when I am a bit more experienced, will be helping others as well.

My first priority is to pass my CANASA cert. Does anyone know where to find any study information I could review?

Also, what are some good basics to study up on so I am prepared and ready for the first weeks on the job?

Thanks so much for reading, happy to be here.

-Dane

(Also, I am from Canada, is this an international forum? Thank you)

yes, but most appear to be UK based

Strictly its the other way round its a UK forum but all are welcome, there is an American forum but they don't get our sense of humor and they spell differently from us LOL

Welcome Dane

Hi, nice man.If you want to improve your skill, you need to join in the big commercial project to get the experience.

BTW, what is the CANASA cert? and what's the purpose?

I am a native chinaese, and as the security installer.

I would like to make friends with you about industry security,my skype is kofaihuang.

• 2 weeks later...

The CANASA cert is required for all Canadian installers from the Canadian Security Association.

http://www.canasa.org/

It creates a certification of knowledge that everyone should get before they go into installing so everyone starts off on the right foot I guess. I am new to this so I do not know much!

Basically streamlining the industry here in Canada so we know where everyone stands.

Also is has a priority to reduce false alerts country wide.

Take care.

Dane

"Security newbie"

Archived