Security Installer Community

Which Drill To Buy

mikef

I'm not an expert on tools, but my friend is fed up with me robbing his drill so I'm looking to get one my mate reckons I need either a 24v or 36v, I was looking at something like hitachi or bosch drill has anyone got any recomendations as there not cheap and I don't wont to waste my money

I'm not an expert on tools, but my friend is fed up with me robbing his drill so I'm looking to get one my mate reckons I need either a 24v or 36v, I was looking at something like hitachi or bosch drill has anyone got any recomendations as there not cheap and I don't wont to waste my money

Depends on several factors, not least of which.

How big is your budget?

How frequently are you going to use it?

Besides the obvious of 'drilling holes', what sort of usage will it get - piddly little holes or BIG ones in blue brick and concrete.

As adi above, i'm a fan of Makita, but i'd go for the 18V Li-on range

How big is your budget?

Besides the obvious of 'drilling holes', what sort of usage will it get - piddly little holes or BIG ones in blue brick and concrete.

This is a very important point.

A small hammer drill is okay for putting up sensors and panels but for drilling holes through walls pneumatic SDS is the way to go.

I have two drills for this reason:-

Dewalt DC925

Dewalt DC223KA

Never had a problem with either. Although I would consider paying a bit more for Li-ion batteries.

The Dewalt range is great. I have the 28volt drills SDS and multi drill, but if I'm honest it's a bit too much. The 18volt version would have done every job I have used it for. They can take a lot of stick.

I like the fact one battery fits most dewalt stuff. I have two drills, torch, angle grinder and circular saw with 4 batteries all the same. Am tempted with am impact wrench in the next few weeks. Only use the drills on install. An angle grinder isn't a lot of good for putting up panels :P

Depends on several factors, not least of which.

How big is your budget?

As adi above, i'm a fan of Makita, but i'd go for the 18V Li-on range

My mate reckons to get a decent 36V your looking at about 400-500 quid, but to be honest I was looking to spend about 250-350 and maybe go for a 24V drill instead of 36V, does the battery size make any differance

I've got a Panasonic 28.8v SDS, fantastic piece of kit and the batteries last forever.

Only issue is it tends to knacker smaller bits (5.5, 6 etc) quite quickly but to be fair its very powerful

Hey Ho, Lets Go

Hi Mike,

I have the Bosch Professional 18v Li-Ion cordless which is great for most drill/driver uses. I use a 230v Bosch SDS unit for the more demanding applications.

Good Luck :yes:

I use a 230v Bosch SDS unit for the more demanding applications.

I wouldn't waste my money on mains drills, especially a 230Vac!

Even if you get a 110Vac SDS there is always the problem of finding a socket, checking the sockets live, lugging the transformer about, tripping over the flex ... extension leads... the list goes on...

I wouldn't waste my money on mains drills, especially a 230Vac!

Even if you get a 110Vac SDS there is always the problem of finding a socket, checking the sockets live, lugging the transformer about, tripping over the flex ... extension leads... the list goes on...

And you won't be allowed on any site with it either.

110v SDS, fair enough - but only if you know you're gonna be doing lots of BIG holes in concrete/blue brick.

If not, put the money towards a good set of battery tools

36v li-on Bosch here,had it about 6 years-not quite good as new-but original batteries still.

Nice bit of kit IMO.

You can get away with 230 stuff on site these days-as all sites should now be rcd protected!-but in practice! Hmm!.

36v li-on Bosch here,had it about 6 years-not quite good as new-but original batteries still.

Nice bit of kit IMO.

You can get away with 230 stuff on site these days-as all sites should now be rcd protected!-but in practice! Hmm!.

Back of beyond in wesh wales maybe :P

Wilmot Dixon won't even allow 110V extension leads on drums. Must be loose coiled.

Seems someone converted one into a heater. :'(

• 1 month later...

If you’ve got the dough buy a SDS and combo drill. I have a DeWalt DC233 24V SDS for the heavy work it’s a good drill its only drawback is my model uses 2Ah NiCad batteries which are a lower capacity than other similarly priced drills. The combo drill is an Hitachi DV18DL which has two 18V 3Ah Li ion batteries. I use it a lot the big capacity batteries have no problems getting you through a day’s work.

• 2 weeks later...

I would also deffo recomend the Bosch 36v SDS, It kills the competition hands down

We have used Bosch Proffesional tools range for 8 years now, Very robust and solid kit.

After sales backup is excellent, 3 day collect, repair and return service. What more you need..

I would also deffo recomend the Bosch 36v SDS, It kills the competition hands down

We have used Bosch Proffesional tools range for 8 years now, Very robust and solid kit.

After sales backup is excellent, 3 day collect, repair and return service. What more you need..

That sounds reassuring

Saying it's good kit then following it up by admitting you've had repairs done.

Saying it's good kit then following it up by admitting you've had repairs done.

He doesn't say that Andrew,just suggesting the after sales is good-all said and done though-and as I've said before, I've got the 36v li-on kit and it's 5 years old-no repairs and no duff batts touch wood.

He doesn't say that Andrew,just suggesting the after sales is good-all said and done though-and as I've said before, I've got the 36v li-on kit and it's 5 years old-no repairs and no duff batts touch wood.

Ah, but, either he's had first hand experience of said service, or he's just quoting the blurb from the PR dept. :whistle:

Sorry, I did not make it clear enough...

I actually have about 18 Bosch Professional products, Some in warranty and some out of warranty

One of the tools i have, is the Cordless 14.4v SDS Grinder which packed up 5 weeks out of warranty

The motor had totally blown on it, I called them up for a repair on it and said that it had just ran

out of the 3 year warranty and how much would it cost,

They sent UPS to collect it, Then replaced the whole motor in it and shipped it back by UPS, all for free.

He said although it was out of warranty the life span should have been longer for the motor in it

A totally free repair as a good will gesture from Bosch.

This is why i have stuck with all their products, I refuse to use anything else and will always recomend them.

Getting back to the 36v Lithium SDS Drill, I have 2 of them. One is 4 years old, One is 18 months old

These get used 5 days a week constantly for masonly and auger bits, plus the occasional chisel action

Neither have ever let me down, battery life is amazing.

Hope this clears it up for you...

Regards

Archived