Security Installer Community

Wireless Fire

keeny

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've been installing Hyfire for some time. The batteries are easy to get hold of and easy to change. The training course is a must though as we've seen some amazing blunders when adding devices to the system from un-qualified people. They do both addressable and conventional systems, depending on the size of installation this can have quite a cost saving. Both the EMS and the Hyfire are as good as wired as long as they are fitted and serviced correctly. Watch out for those lead lined walls, get a survey done! :)

Dont forget to train the user. We recently had a customer who "turned off" the panel (yes disconnected the mains and the battery!) as they couldnt remember how to silence and reset it, only to have the wireless sounders continue to sound! This was even after training.

• 3 months later...

The new EMS kit is really good providing your allowing for installing power supplys for the many RCC's you'll be needing on the system.

I have just priced up some of the new apollo xpander kit and although it appears to be looking at costing similar sort of figures to EMS, Its handy if you don't require a full wireless system...just areas

RFS everyone has to start somewhere though dont you think?

I totally agree, but I've spent a lot of money investing in dealership for radio fire kit, we have the right gear to survey and have training to get the job done right.. that is the starting point for radio fire not just banging one in.

I'm siding with RFS on this one. Unless you have the support and technical knowledge behind you when a fault comes in you'll end up pulling your hair out and looking like a numpty in front of your customer. That and many won't talk to you unless you're on thier database and have done the training.

lol.. totally agree chaps.

EMS & EDA all the way, and they both have BS EN54-25 equipment/systems despite a certain sales rep telling people they don't !!!!

Used / trained on them all including Hyfire but would only use hyfire for a hybrid appilcation / bolt on. They all do the job it's just down to engineers preference and that all important costing.

I have one question though ? Can an addressable fire control panel running cable / loop with a radio transceiver positioned on it be classed as a "true wireless/radio fire system". I would say thats an hybrid system. What yer think chaps.

Trade Member

I have one question though ? Can an addressable fire control panel running cable / loop with a radio transceiver positioned on it be classed as a "true wireless/radio fire system". I would say thats an hybrid system. What yer think chaps.

In short I would say yes. I can count on one hand how manys jobs i've been to where I couldn't wire anything. On the majority of jobs there will always be a route for your translators which can be easily concealed, However it's not feasable or aesthetically pleasing to wire to the field devices. Trunking just isn't nice and I would rather have a "hybrid" with a concealed cable route for the translators than a fully hard wired system in surface trunking any day.

The thing I am most interested in is how the wireless manufacturers are going to make thier wireless strobe/sounders comply in terms of power and battery longetivy. Now we will see just how good thier r&d is.

Archived