Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9800 Keypad

jonm

Hi All,

I wondered if I might ask for some expert advice. I have an alarm system which is now about 17 yrs old, (under contract and regularly serviced.) It has a Scantronic 9800 end station and remote keypad. Over the last few months some of the keypad buttons have become very unresponsive, ( especially if the house has been empty and the temperature has dropped) and this has resulted in a couple of hair raising moments where the alarm has gone off since it hasn't been possible to enter the code quickly enough on entering the house. The engineer cleaned the keypad circuit strips and this helped for a while, but it has begun to play up again. I have changed the code to buttons that have not been used previously, and this seems fine at the moment. Obviously, I appreciate, it will need replacing,eventually, but I didn't really want to replace the whole thing if just the keypad is faulty. The actual 9800 keypad is not available, but I have seen 9827 keypads for the 9800+ panel, My question is would this replace my 9800 keypad, or, is it not suitable. My only other hope would be to obtain a used one, which itself might be worn out. Any advice would be gratefully received. thanks.

The 9827 keypad will work, you will not get a new one, they are no longer made.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

but I didn't really want to replace the whole thing if just the keypad is faulty.

The entire system will not need replacing just the keypad and control panel. I would recommend you take this route rather than trying to source a replacement keypad for an out dated control system.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Many thanks for your advice, appreciated.I had thought of trying to obtain a used RKP to replace mine, but I realise this may also have a limited life if it has been in use regularly. I agree that ultimately the panel should be replaced, I was just trying to avoid that if possible at this point! I will probably look at doing this, and discuss it with the engineer at the next service date later in the year. In the meantime it seems fine on the 'unused' buttons to which I reprogrammed the code. Perhaps it will be ok like this for some time? (It has certainly been very reliable and free from false alarms, apart from the recent push button problems.) I appreciate that the alarm company I am with will have preferences, is there a panel of similar reliability that anyone might recommend as a replacement, out of interest. There are 4 pirs, 3 door contacts and one panic button on the system. Thanks again.

any decent brand be it cooper (Scantronic/Menvier) Texecom or Galaxy will be fine. A Scantronic 9751 would probably do the job nicely, might be reasonably similar to the set up you have now.

If you are satisfied with the service that you get from your current maintainer then I suggest accepting their recommendation(s) for upgrades - they will know their products well and will be able to maintain them efficiently.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

If you are satisfied with the service that you get from your current maintainer then I suggest accepting their recommendation(s) for upgrades - they will know their products well and will be able to maintain them efficiently.

qfa

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived