Security Installer Community

Should Non Trade Be Able To Buy Equipment

dave_rogers

should non trade be able to buy equipment  

20 members have voted

1. 1. should non trade be able to buy equipment

• yes
    • no

I was looking to buy a visonic complete kit on line which was advertised on city security systems website, when I went to purchase the kit the price is at £0.00 and they ask you to phone for price

I phoned and spoke to a nice chap who asked if I was trade I said no, but that I had fitted my alarm in my previous house, he informed me that they only sell to trade and couldn't supply me the kit, and that it was nothing to do with wether or not I could fit the kit or not, and that was why they had made it so you have to phone because some people are trying to buy the kit, that aren't trade and can't fit the kit.

I asked about the rest of the kit on there site, and he told me that from the start of next month, people will be able to see the products but you won't be able to see any prices unless your logged in as an installer, I said that they will lose business which he agreed they might, but said the business they might lose are from people who shouldn't really be buying the kit in the first place.

Do you think there right?

I was looking to buy a visonic complete kit on line which was advertised on city security systems website, when I went to purchase the kit the price is at £0.00 and they ask you to phone for price

I phoned and spoke to a nice chap who asked if I was trade I said no, but that I had fitted my alarm in my previous house, he informed me that they only sell to trade and couldn't supply me the kit, and that it was nothing to do with wether or not I could fit the kit or not, and that was why they had made it so you have to phone because some people are trying to buy the kit, that aren't trade and can't fit the kit.

I asked about the rest of the kit on there site, and he told me that from the start of next month, people will be able to see the products but you won't be able to see any prices unless your logged in as an installer, I said that they will lose business which he agreed they might, but said the business they might lose are from people who shouldn't really be buying the kit in the first place.

can't have it at that.

Do you think there right?

Depends on the price.

Trade price, no you shouldn't.

Retail price, then it's fair enough - if they choose to sell to you.

When you go shopping, you go to retailers, not wholesalers. Same concept applies here.

As an aside, quiet why they show them prices is doing no one any favours. In fact, i'll go further, i reckon they will sell to nobody at them prices.

I didn't vote cos I couldn't see the relevance of the question.

Non trade can buy alarm equipment .... but if one manufacturer or supplier chooses not to sell to non-trade (or even to one particular person), that is their choice. End of.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

I didn't vote cos I couldn't see the relevance of the question.

Non trade can but alarm equipment .... but if one manufacturer or supplier chooses not to sell to non-trade (or even to one particular person), that is their choice. End of.

fair comment, the vote was to try and get a view of peoples opinions, installers and people who fit there own kit because I think I should be able to purchase the kit, because I know I won't make a hash of it

fair comment, the vote was to try and get a view of peoples opinions, installers and people who fit there own kit because I think I should be able to purchase the kit, because I know I won't make a hash of it

Shops/businesses can choose who they wish to sell to - and at what price.

That kit is available for sale to JP, but probably not at the price you have now decided you wish to buy at.

When shopping on line, it pays to check out who you are buying from. You might want to try it in this instance. B))

That kit is available for sale to JP, but probably not at the price you have now decided you wish to buy at.

Not officially. The makers have deemed that kit is only suitable for bona fide trade customers and esked suppliers to respect their decision, but they make other equipment available to everyone

Not officially. The makers have deemed that kit is only suitable for bona fide trade customers and esked suppliers to respect their decision, but they make other equipment available to everyone

Yes, hence my comment re the price.

at some point, all good are available to purchase, just depends where in the supply chain.

Yes, hence my comment re the price.

at some point, all good are available to purchase, just depends where in the supply chain.

You're right, I hadn't thought about that ........ OK, Dave Rogers, I'll sell you what you want but Visonic may black list me and my peers may stop talking to me so it'll have to be worth my while ....... Send me a cheque for £20k and it's yours.

You're right, I hadn't thought about that ........ OK, Dave Rogers, I'll sell you what you want but Visonic may black list me and my peers may stop talking to me so it'll have to be worth my while ....... Send me a cheque for £20k and it's yours.

Now now.

Define supplier.

Sell away to the public with a decent mark up, but give no warranty or support of any kind. We get calls from joe public quite often for supply only, we tell them we will sell but with no support or warranty of any kind, they soon clear off.

Visonic have a leaflet in their kits that state no warranty if not installed by a professional.

Sell away to the public with a decent mark up, but give no warranty or support of any kind

Not sure you can do that. UK law takes precedence over any terms and conditions you apply. We never sell anything unless we fit it.

i was there a while back and some daft bint came in and said 'do you have any of these?' and pulls a 7 amp battery out of her bag! they sold her one at trade.

Wasn't her that beat up the armed robber with her handbag was it? :whistle:

I've taken a look at there terms and conditions, it does say Trade only and that if you purchase goods and your not an installer, some manufacturers will not offer any technical support, I'll have to try ADI I don't really wont to fit a cheap kit from B&Q

I've taken a look at there terms and conditions, it does say Trade only and that if you purchase goods and your not an installer, some manufacturers will not offer any technical support, I'll have to try ADI I don't really wont to fit a cheap kit from B&Q

ADI was mentioned tongue in cheek. They are a trade distributor and claim to be trade only.

• 2 years later...

Archived