Security Installer Community

Easy Sets.

mma

Just wondered what you lot think of easy set function on panels. I don't see anything wrong with setting up and using easy sets on domestic alarms. If it means its easier for the customer to use. I know its against regs but I think common sense must apply. What's wrong with setting the alarm by pressing quick or yes a? Do any of you set this function up or if not why not.

I use it often. Customers love it - I tell 'em it saves wear and tear on the end of their finger!!

BUT I also warn them about the disadvantages of unintended setting and the subsequent risk of false alarms, especially if there are any young kids around.

See what you mean but the panel shouldn't set with open zones and the noise coming from the RKP and sounder is normally enough to give away to the fact its setting. Oh. Unless its a silent set. Same can happen with wireless Fobs and tags.

regs apart, and i struggle to justify its basically a judgement call, if rkp is out of the way usually ok, i would not use in on a busy houshold, a shop, but for older people, ideal for disabled or those with poor eye sight who cant press radio fobs easily.

where easy set is needed, then prox key fobs serve the 'simple set' purpose very well, Gtag is built-in to Risco so i encourage fob use, the info in the log of the persons setting unsetting is more accurate when tracing who is not checking properly and shutting the windows etc ;).

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I use it often. Customers love it - I tell 'em it saves wear and tear on the end of their finger!!

BUT I also warn them about the disadvantages of unintended setting and the subsequent risk of false alarms, especially if there are any young kids around.

sort of a 'pro's and con's argument really,

yes they can lock someone in using a single button, but you can do that using a code. so if thats the concern, then all windows and doors should be contacted to prevent being left open and drafts causing alarms, but then we get as in times gone by, false alarms because doors are closed but not held by the lock or catch.

if they use a code it can be 'surfed' then used to unset, so this reg (imho) is a bit daft to have a blanket ban on what is a very useful facility if used with common sense.

Arfur

//just seen the flaw in the last sentance lol!//

We use tags and auto part set for domestics, not sure if we should. Don't use quick set buttons.

not sure if regs are affected on auto part set - one for James me thinks ;),

inho auto part set is fine, stops many false alarms as long as the final door contact operates properly which is the only downer as it could disable all the upstairs and hall.

it works well especially if they have au pairs or servants sleeping in house.

one feature i miss and i used to like about old scanny 9800's, was the defered part set exit timer, if they violated a zone (that would normally be armed when set), it had another 20 seconds before setting, so the nimbler kids had a shorter time, but for the elderly, nervious and less quick, there was less urgency to get up the stairs before arming.

Arfur

Archived