Security Installer Community

Test Monitor Not To Break The Bank

lynx2002

How much do you wish to spend.

LCD are nice and light. Older B/W like Computar work better in bright sunlight.

Do you want PTZ and other test options?

Mine ATM is now a 3.5cm ( wear on wrist with strap) monitor with audio.

As ever as little as possible, but I understand that you get what you pay for. £200 is a guide for me ATM.

The ones I used when employed were quite outdated B/W size of a breeze block type things.

Audio isn't especially needed but you never know, and PTZ function would be handy.

I do like the neck strap setup as it keeps your hands free, but I’ve not yet seen one without that option so can’t see it being a problem.

The main things I want to consider is battery life and screen quality. I’ve seen a few demos recently that had a really poor screen quality which must make focusing a real pain in the backside!

Well if its really difficult I get out a battery powered 50" 1080p.

Not really I know what I want and if push comes to shove a two way radio or a phone call to the control room/ person watching the monitor solves it.

Even the older test monitors were only 4 or 5 inch.

As I said only drawback for LCD ( thats LCD Whistle me old m8 :D) is bright sunshine. Otherwise no problems. A nice trick with mine is you can hold a camera near the spot and get the client to agree the field of view and focus approximately of course. The spec should give what they want in general too.

Hi all

Im looking for a test monitor that wont set me back a fortune but will do the job clearly.

As there are so many out there do any of you have suggestions/personal experiences etc.

Thanks in advance

Lynx2002

We have just brought this one: http://www.cctvmate.com £200 plus VAT.

It replaces our knackered monitor. I personaly liked my old car reversing monitor

that i had bolted to a plastic weather proof box that held a 12v 2.1 Ah battery.

That battery worked my monitor for a month's worth of work between charges and also

could power the camera that I was testing or setting up.

I had a strap fixed to the box so I could wear it around my neck.

Ian.

We have just brought this one: http://www.cctvmate.com £200 plus VAT.

It replaces our knackered monitor. I personaly liked my old car reversing monitor

that i had bolted to a plastic weather proof box that held a 12v 2.1 Ah battery.

That battery worked my monitor for a month's worth of work between charges and also

could power the camera that I was testing or setting up.

I had a strap fixed to the box so I could wear it around my neck.

Ian.

thats the one i have,

imo a very good screen, excellent battery life (Li Ion) and PTZ built in, i like the camera signal voltage is also displayed, fine focusing with any small image is hard work in bright lighting, i use this reading to helpme fine tune focus, notice usualy slightly higher han 1v

i have the computar portable (joke guys :rolleyes: ) way to bulky and short battery life in comparrison.

if your not over bothered about on screen voltage display, monitor test and ptz testing, then tbh a decent mp3 recorder liake a 'zing' will do you just fine.

you can use the audio on it when needed. and one advantage is the ability to take 'shots' for when you need a comparison view after say swapping out a camera, or to prove it worked but can't power up the site, or to show the client locally the final view for their agreement etc.

on some dvrs you can use the zing like a memory stick to down load footage, might not display native if not AVI but useful for later uplaoding to a pc for viewing.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hmmmm thinking about mine there is a av out that looks compatible with my blackberry leads.

Time to test and see if I can snap shot and email pic to end user b4 I close up the housing!

New leg pls or someone get the spare camera from my top cupboard as I cannot fookin reach!

This might be something you want.

http://www.henrys.co.uk/cctv/CCTV_Test_Monitor.htm

Mines smaller and has a wrist strap, PTZ I can test with a voltage anyway.

Mine

Nice looking bit of kit OX, what's it like on Batteries?

Customers Love us, Intruders Hate us.

My one, 3.5cm screen has been on test and lasted 3 hours with constant use. Which should be enough for a days work. I also have spare rechargeable`s which fit along with the monitor rather neatly inside a external hard drive pouch I picked up in Maplin.

My one, 3.5cm screen has been on test and lasted 3 hours with constant use. Which should be enough for a days work. I also have spare rechargeable`s which fit along with the monitor rather neatly inside a external hard drive pouch I picked up in Maplin.

cheers M8.

Customers Love us, Intruders Hate us.

• 4 months later...

Just got my hands on the new Videcon LVCDTM-M. IMHO its Good bit of kit. 2.5" lcd, many rs485 protocols for config of domes and the like, and also checks cat5 patchleads (although I will still stick with my Fluke for that). Battery life is claimed to be 5 Hours.

Seems very good value.

Info Here

I had one of those until it broke (dropped it), was a good unit

Everywhere seems to selling these at the moment, got mine from adata but noticed a few other places selling them as well, must be a generic design

Hey Ho, Lets Go

Archived