Security Installer Community

Can't Walk Test Texecom Veritas 8

I have just finished renovating a house, a small terrace, which came with a Veritas 8 in place. The alarm is very simple, one entry/exit sensor on the front door (Zone 1) and one PIR in the living room (Zone 2), one bell/strobe box on the outside wall, one remote keypad in the hall and the control panel in the cellar.

I replaced the battery, replaced the fuses, cleaned everything and connected the mains.

I downloaded what I believe is the right manual and went about setting it up. Reset to factory settings, set zone 1 (the front door sensor) to entry/exit and zone 2 (the PIR) to guard. All the other zones aren't used and have a loop connected across them.

When trying to do a walk test, either latching (19) or not latching (06), both the keypad and the control panel sounder emit a repeating chirp-chirp sound. This happens after keying the two digits before pressing PROG. The chirp-chirp continues until pressing RESET. When I open the front door during the walk test, triggering zone 1, the keypad emits single beeps and light 1 comes on. However, trying to trigger the PIR fails to get any response. The LED on the PIR does come on.

I have tried three different PIRs, tried wiring the PIR to a different zone, tried wiring the PIR tamper circuit, tried with a loop wired across the tamper circuit. But still the walk test fails to work for the PIR.

All the components seem to work, the strobe and sounder work when tested and the alarm can be set and unset, but if the PIR doesn't work there is little point having the alarm in the first place!

Can anyone suggest what the chirp-chirp sound means and what I need to do to rectify the problem?

Many thanks,

Des.

Once in "engineers" pressing 06 will initiate the entry/exit sounder there is no need to press PROG until you are finished testing. Even then you only press reset.

Try that.

Sounds like it's telling you a Zone is in Fault: Remove the Zone 2 wires in the panel & fit a link in place of them, put the panel in walk test or if nescessary full set, remove 1 end of the Zone 2 link & this should show as Zone activated or set the alarm off. If it does then the Zone cable may be damaged, if not check your programming or you have a panel fault.

BEWARE THERE ARE LIVE MAINS CONNECTIONS WHEN THE PANEL IS OPEN.

Customers Love us, Intruders Hate us.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'll try disconnecting the PIR and putting a loop in then retry the walk test.

The cable between the panel and PIR was replaced during the renovation - the old one was damaged during the strip out. Proper six core alarm cable was used. So I'm pretty sure that's OK.

I've tried three different PIRs and get the same result each time - hadn't thought of trying it without a PIR !

@reidy I hadn't tried setting off the alarm on purpose. At least that would prove the PIR works !

Will let you know the results later. I'm away this weekend, so it'll be a few days.

Des.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DesandSam

Ha Ha, you guys are funny!

The house is empty, it is being renovated to be rented out. So no blue ray players to pinch I'm afraid.

Unfortunately I've not been able to get up there to try out the suggestions of the earlier posters.

So, not forgotten about. And your help is much appreciated. I'll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks.

Ha Ha, you guys are funny!

The house is empty, it is being renovated to be rented out. So no blue ray players to pinch I'm afraid.

Unfortunately I've not been able to get up there to try out the suggestions of the earlier posters.

So, not forgotten about. And your help is much appreciated. I'll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks.

Hi & thanks for the update, glad to see you've got a sense of humour. Trust me if you play about with Alarms enough you'll need it LOL, why do you think were all crazy? anymore help needed let us know.

Customers Love us, Intruders Hate us.

• 9 years later...