Security Installer Community

Managed Switches

james.wilson

there is a total of 50 cameras currently. Some are axis 223m's, 221's 209's 207's etc.

I plant to run the vga ones at 10ish fps, and the megapixels at about 4fps.

And i was meaning megabytes per second not mega bits.

Its time to get the calculator out...

I presume you'll be streaming via MPEG-4 and not JPEG

Choose frame size required for each cam

There's an Axis on-line utility that will show the bandwidth per cam model at set frame rates. http://www.axis.com/products/video/design_tool/calculator.htm

Once you have a figure for all the cams, you need to work out/build in the worse case scenario for other items that will affect bandwidth, I.e number of simultaneous viewers, poor performance PC’s etc….

One important thing to remember is that if you’re planning to record night images and there’s poor light, the bandwidth will increase dramatically!

Once you have a figure, we’ll know if the servers can handle the traffic.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies for jumping in on this and you should realise I haven't read the full thread but I'm sure I read you wish to combine multiple 10/100 interfaces ? If these are to be linked to another switch you could create an ether channel ?

If this is what you require PM me and I can assist with config (on a cisco platform)

Apologies for jumping in on this and you should realise I haven't read the full thread but I'm sure I read you wish to combine multiple 10/100 interfaces ? If these are to be linked to another switch you could create an ether channel ?

If this is what you require PM me and I can assist with config (on a cisco platform)

I doubt he's still worrying..

A. He tends to know what he's doing.

B. I reckon he'll have sorted it in the intervening 6 months.

Archived