Security Installer Community

Bt's Ngn

james.wilson

BT Have announced they are planning to abandon 21CN. They are intending to focus on thier fibre product. Super Fast Fibre Access (SFFA) is planned to reach 66% of homes by 2015. BT are proposing 2 ways to achieve this.

1. Fibre to the cabinet (FBBC).

BT Will install fibre over the existing copper from the exchange to the cabinet. The original copper will then continue from the cabinet to the premisis. They propose that sppeds of up to 40meg down and 10meg up can be achieved this way. BT have already announced which exchanges are to be upgraded to SFFA,

BT SFFA Rollout

2. Fibre to the premisis (FTTP).

BT have already pilot trialed 'Ebbsfleet' (this was BT's original VOIP system). They had planned to release this FTTP product as VoNGA (voice over NGA). After BT's strategic review they are now focussing on CP Controlled ATA (CPCA). CPCA is planned to be available in 2011 and will be installed on brown and greenfield areas.

CPCA consulatrion summary and proposed product document can be found here

BT have also produced some technical guidance documents.

Suppliers infomation notes

The BSIA are working with BT on a test platform for security systems and associated devices. This infomation will be made available to BSIA members in the usual way.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

So when the run fibres in to peoples houses, does it go in to a switch and use the normal copper pair out the the other end?

What happens with telephones etc? Can end users still plug a normal phone in to a "socket"?

• 5 months later...

So when the run fibres in to peoples houses, does it go in to a switch and use the normal copper pair out the the other end?

What happens with telephones etc? Can end users still plug a normal phone in to a "socket"?

Fiber wont be to the premises, it will be to the cabinet. From the cabinet to the CPE, it will be copper.

• 1 month later...

Hi

i am a Cisco Certified engineer

FTTP will be new build only yes

virgin were trying to "upgrade me from 10mb" copper to 50 Fibre to the house, the poor sales guy could not understand that its not fibre to house

i have a copper coax coming in

and i was told oh its fibre to the house and uses the same cable lol

to be fair

BT do not have the infrastructure to run FTTP yet, virgin probably do but dont see the need yet

BT need to be careful as the "in street" equipment is soooooo dated,

ADSL is a cop out

DSL (Virgin) is true broadband where ADSL (anything over a phone line) is a copy cat broadband hence the low speeds

What speed are you expecting?

Or promised?

My speed is as expected and promised.

Others have 500 meg D/L far more than me.

But I have higher U/L.

Just to add a correction ......

BT have promised fibre to every premises in Cornwall ... old and new ... by 2012.

Oh, apparently they're now saying 90% by 2014.....CLICKY

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Been on cable for 15 years, can't complain as I get 8 meg unlimited usage.

BT and SKY your limited download, not a big problem unless you like to play online games or download big files I suppose.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived