Security Installer Community

Hard Wired Or Remote

Hi

I am going mad looking at all the diff home alarm systems.

Can someone please help me in deciding whether to go for a remote or hard wired alarm system?

I had a hard wired Galaxay before and never had any probs.

How much should one be for a std terraced house with 2 door sensors and about 5 motion sensors?

Anyone got Dave Partridge e mail from Walsall?

ps i am in wolves area

Thanks for the advise>>>>>>>

Guest RJBsec

By 'remote' I assume that you mean wireless?

Conflicting opinions on this forum but modern professional wireless alarms are very good.

If you have been used to a Galaxy, then why not get a Galaxy G2 with wired or wireless detectors?

Get 3 quotes then come back and ask for comments, nobody can properly quote you from a forum.

as above we can give some info but without seeing your property no-one can accuractly risk assess or price it etc.

I too like the galaxy and while i dont have an issue with wireless (and there is only 1 or 2 brands i trust) i would always go wired unless there is a compelling reason not to.

re dave's email

We cant publish it for obvious reasons but he is here

http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/community/user/1-service-engineer/

you can pm him once you have 5 or more posts under your belt.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

i still prefer wired, unless cabling is a serious issue to the decor

mainly beacuse batery life is 3 - 5 years which is fine, but ask yourself, when was the last time you replaced them in your smoke detectors?

you had galixy before, but did you fit it personally? if so use what you know, or if not use something more user friendly aim for the novice/diy installer

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hi Demojunk

Welcome to the forum

As its already been said there are a lot of people for and against wireless, I used to be in the latter category, however, I am starting to be won round.

If you can I would always recommend hard wired, there are several reasons for this one for example is the ongoing cost for the batteries, manufacturers say the batteries last around 4 years realistically you are looking at 2 years, so if you have say 5 detectors every two years you are looking at paying out an extra £50 or so.

Arf

I dont think the op is looking for a self install as if he was id recommend something far more simple.

maybe,

tbh my best/only advice is, if having installed professionally then simply go with your preferred installers advice, as he/she is best placed to asses for your situation.

end of the day - are you going to argue with them?

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hi to all and thanks for the advice.

I too prefer hard wired.

The previous Galaxay was fitted by our friends ADT, but then i canceled the contract and kept the hardware.

Having looked at ADT website, i cannot belive their introductory web price of a basic alarm.

It seems to me that it is too good to be true and you know how the saying goes....

Anyhow i have had one quote so far for a Glaxay G2 hard wired, but they said we fit our own non-branded alarm.

This rang "alarm" bells with me.

However i am in the process of getting further quotes and will come back with the results...

Thanks

Guest RJBsec

Having looked at ADT website, i cannot belive their introductory web price of a basic alarm.

It seems to me that it is too good to be true and you know how the saying goes....

Indeed, if install price is low it will generally be made up elsewhere.

Ai have had one quote so far for a Glaxay G2 hard wired, but they said we fit our own non-branded alarm.

Bit puzzled by that, if they quote G2 they must fit G2 - maybe they meant that they normally fit a different panel, if so make sure they have experience of working with Galaxy before usingthem.

You might be getting confused with terms.

It may be they were quoteing a G2 system. And galaxy make a G2-20 panel. The first is a grading ie Grade 2. They may or may not be using a galaxy. By the sounds of it they wernt using a galaxy.

ADT recent offer is for a grade 1T system, not a grade 2 system so cannt achieve a police response. Also insurance companies tend to only recognise Grade 2 and higher so id check before.

If you want that sort of rented system its great. However if you dont obviously it isnt.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived