Security Installer Community

Impact Screwdrivers - Save On The Sweating

arfur mo

if like me you use small electric drivers, and were not aware such thing existed as impact screwdrivers - be educated now.

recently on a site carpenters were laying flooring sheets, making a bit of a din running screws in, i'd assumed they were using the torque settings. then i noticed they were not piloting 1st, but drivng screws straight through the MDF into the joyce. having boarded my loft a few years back i was pretty impressed and asked if they were specially hardened screws, got shown this magic bit of kit. they were using,a Makita impact driver.

before anyone posts a sneer, these must have been around for ages but i've never noticed them and so bet other engineers are the same.

obviously, the advantages are of being able to drive screws into hard surfaces with so little effort making it a lot easier was not lost on me, i'm no shrinking vioet bt using one of these i like having an all in wrestlers stregnth powering the driver bit.

the impact action if you don't know, is used when tyres are fitted, the speed gun taps not forces the wheel nutts off, or on. doing so at speed, so this is a smaller version of the speed gun and akin to taping a 'T' bar around with a hammer or mallet to release or secure a tight nut or bolt..

when you drive home a screw using a normal drill fitted with a tip, it will try to lever out as the screw gets tighter, often stripping it out. but this method bangs the screw round, then releases the pressure at spead, so the tip has less chance of levering out and then skidding leaving you to drill out the screw.

you can't abuse it as it will eventually behead the screw, but to go that far would be plain daft. i've used them to drive bolts and nutt wen installing wall mounted camera brackets, also to relase rusted bolts on flood lights when changing bulbs, they really are worth their weight.

since 'discoverng' them, i've bought a S/H 12 volt makita impact driver for the heavier duty work, a small Black & Decker impact driver (model now discontinued), i bought cheap on offer at Homebase for my tool bag, and a B&Q own brand impact driver grabded for £12.00, spotted in an end of line sale, tbh i would not leave home without them, and compliment the Bosch UNEO i mention in another thread.

Regs

Arfur Mo

regs

Arfur Mo

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest RJBsec

Got an Hitatchi impact driver, fantastic piece of kit which screws into anything - only failure is when the screw can't cope and breaks off - not cheap though!

post-17425-007523200 1274959147_thumb.jp

I too have a makita impact driver, the BTD140

Use it regularly. Brilliant with Tek screws, although, as Rodger says, they can go through the screw bits for fun. Well worth it though.

such a really good tool, surprising they are not pushed more.

the two smaller ones i use are ideal for having less risk of beheading the screws. tbh ideal for detectors, you don' t really need hammer that often, and when the walls soft you don't make a ruddy big hole and have to shove a 2" x 10 in it.

in Wilkinsons, i got a very miniture ash pan and brush, just ideal to have in the bag, hold underneath and catch the dust. also i got a neat little unit made by Kartcher, has 2 aa batteries and when switched on sucks onto the wall leaving both hands free, hole in top which drill passed through and catches the dust in a little pocket, real natty and time saving, just ned to remember to wipe the rubber seal to stop it marking the emulsion painted walls on net hole.

when i look back to when just having a 15 feet long yankee screwdriver made by stanley with obligatory jubilee clip around the barrel, meant you were a top intsalltion man working on bonus, you just realise how things have moved on.

regs

Arfur Mo

hang on

You use these things to put passives up? Dont they damage or bend the backplate.

Also am i missunderstanding this, do you drill and plug or just 'impact' a special screw in?

Just wack the bassa's in.

As i said. Absolutely brilliant with tek screws,

However, defitely NOT for light work.

Now i`m all for power tools but I always fit Pir`s and other assortments like them with a screwdriver ( hand one the old variety) you tend to have some feel as to the grip afforded.

Power tools for holes, screwdrivers to fix.

hang on

You use these things to put passives up? Dont they damage or bend the backplate.

Also am i missunderstanding this, do you drill and plug or just 'impact' a special screw in?

oh! ruddy hell!!!!,

where on earth did i say i used one to actually screw up the detector? i use iton bells and panels METAL ONES!!!!

why is it anyone jumps in to think the worst of me, here i am offering my best side (oih! i heard that - who said that's the one at the back?) honest guys i've only got 40 years in this trade, and get asked THAT! bruce_h4h.gif

are you rally serious James? or do you actually need instructions on how to use tools and install like a proper pro?

for your and others information - but i bet hope most know already,

1) i drill the holes in the WALL having marked it 1st.

2) i fit the plugs into the holes (the ones i just drilled into the wall - i have to be very clear here) WALL

3) i then use a neon sorry, really sorry lads

3a) i then use a philips driver (thats better) to fit the screw

think i can feel the wobally round table moment coming on eekout.gif

tongue.giflaugh.giftongue.gif

regs

Arfur Mo

don't really have use for one, but be warned that anything you use with it has to be man enough to coper eg impact sockets rather than a nice normal chrome one!

also it you want one, buy one that used the same battery system as your cordless drill as you can get a naked makita for 80 notes or so

2) i fit the plugs into the holes (the ones i just drilled into the wall - i have to be very clear here) WALL

think i can feel the wobally round table moment coming on

arf many know what to do, it getting people that can be arsed to do it better than half right.........

Mr? Veritas God

oh! ruddy hell!!!!,

where on earth did i say i used one to actually screw up the detector? i use iton bells and panels METAL ONES!!!!

why is it anyone jumps in to think the worst of me, here i am offering my best side (oih! i heard that - who said that's the one at the back?) honest guys i've only got 40 years in this trade, and get asked THAT! bruce_h4h.gif

are you rally serious James? or do you actually need instructions on how to use tools and install like a proper pro?

think i can feel the wobally round table moment coming on eekout.gif

tongue.giflaugh.giftongue.gif

regs

Arfur Mo

lol

I see now.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

don't really have use for one, but be warned that anything you use with it has to be man enough to coper eg impact sockets rather than a nice normal chrome one!

also it you want one, buy one that used the same battery system as your cordless drill as you can get a naked makita for 80 notes or so

arf many know what to do, it getting people that can be arsed to do it better than half right.........

have faith - and and an flipping big stick ranting.gif

the small one i use most the time has a veriable trigger, the action is not on all the time, only comes in over a certain resistance. you get to know just when this will happen, and real useful, take tyhe scrw in most of the way before tightening. screw don't get so hot so don't loose so much stregnth.

most cases better than using a drill or hand driver imo, you have to keep the pressure on to stop gnurling the slots out will removing it, these drivers 'tap' it round withiout the need for any where near the presuure, which also helps allow the screw to spirral out better.

trust me but one, they are really useful, especially rusty bolts on flood lights where the weather has done its work, often getting a rounded bolt out to the bracket can be a pain, much easier using one of these with a socket in and some WD40. if the bolt dose go, it would have anyway you did it..

regs

Arur Mo

lol

I see now.

cool.gif

I have a compressor & use impact tools of that once every blue moons, never had a battery one

me to, but i used a cheapy 12 volt one that plugged into a lighter socket, designed for wheel removal, scoffed at it at the time when bought for a christmas prezzy, lord knows how long back,

anyway, i needed to remove a variator center nut on a Piaggio X9, and compressor is dead, motor burnt out. dug the thing out of wifes boot and it whipped it off a treat.

regs

Arfur Mo

match it by hand & go greater with a torque multipliers, just that it slower

I don't disagree.

Right tools for job n all that.

I find it really useful when fitting kit to metalwork, self drilling screws etc.

• 10 months later...

I use this one, http://www.screwfix.com/prods/92867/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/Bosch-GDR-10-8-LI-L-Boxx-10-8V-Impact-Driver?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Datafeed-_-Power%20Tools-_-Bosch%20GDR%2010.8-LI%20L-Boxx%2010.8V%20Impact%20Driver got it on special on amazon for 75 quid with one battery and quick charger. Its tiny, fits in my jeans pocket and a good easy to control trigger for general screwing but on full blast I used it with a 1/2 inch socket adaptor to remove rusted on exhaust manifold bolts. I use mine everyday.

I use this one, http://www.screwfix.com/prods/92867/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/Bosch-GDR-10-8-LI-L-Boxx-10-8V-Impact-Driver?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Datafeed-_-Power%20Tools-_-Bosch%20GDR%2010.8-LI%20L-Boxx%2010.8V%20Impact%20Driver got it on special on amazon for 75 quid with one battery and quick charger. Its tiny, fits in my jeans pocket and a good easy to control trigger for general screwing but on full blast I used it with a 1/2 inch socket adaptor to remove rusted on exhaust manifold bolts. I use mine everyday.

I use the baby Makita TD090DWE - ace bit of kit. As its only 10.8V it doesnt have the puff of the big boys, but it's capable of 90% of what I ask it to do. Perfect for "Most" alarm kit, and very useful putting up conduit and cleats.

post-9544-0-42689100-1301473700_thumb.jp

I'm a big fan of the 10.8V Bosch line, recently bought myself the new twinpack with an l-boxx (see here for more info) and have subsequently bought the reciprocating unit that's ideal for sanding/flushing in boxes and cutting in odd locations. As well as a l-boxx organiser. Loving the equipment though, the drill is incredibly powerful if you're considering buying one of the impact guns, get the latest version of the drill in the bundle - proper twist chuck rather than a hex-chuck as in the previous versions.

Archived