Security Installer Community

Mosaic (scantronic?) Alarm Making Clicking Noises

Hope someone can help.

I got home from work this eve to find my alarm making a fairly loud clicking noise every second or so. I don't use the alarm, the last time I had anything to do with it was when I accidently set it off while redecorating a room. Had to get an engineer out then as didn't know the deactivation code.

The clicking is coming from the outside alarm box and the display is just flashing stars at me. It's completely unresponsive to any input

It's got a Mosaic logo on it but looks similar to Scantronic 9651 but with four extra A/B/C/D button running down the left hand side. I really don't want to have to call out an engineer (though suspect I'll have to), anyone have any advice on how I can make it STFU?

Thanks.

Hope someone can help.

I got home from work this eve to find my alarm making a fairly loud clicking noise every second or so. I don't use the alarm, the last time I had anything to do with it was when I accidently set it off while redecorating a room. Had to get an engineer out then as didn't know the deactivation code.

The clicking is coming from the outside alarm box and the display is just flashing stars at me. It's completely unresponsive to any input

It's got a Mosaic logo on it but looks similar to Scantronic 9651 but with four extra A/B/C/D button running down the left hand side. I really don't want to have to call out an engineer (though suspect I'll have to), anyone have any advice on how I can make it STFU?

Thanks.

I'm no expert with Scantronic Mosaics, I missed those and from what I've heard I'm glad I did!

Sounds to me like you may have a mains failure to the panel and the external battery is running low as well.

All I would suggest is that you check that there is a mains supply to the panel.

Hi thanks for your responses.

There's no strobe flashing on the bell box, just the incessant bleeping (~once/sec).

The control panel isn't being of much help. It beeps and lights up when I press buttons but all that is rendered on the LCD are stars (all LCD segments set to black). Nothing I press makes any difference. Typing in my user code does nothing (apart from beep on keypress). There's also another box nearby, which I think is rigged up to the phone line that make sympathetic clicks in time with the bell beeps (sorry, worst bug report ever I know)

I've checked the circuit breakers and they're all on. I've found one which when flipped off make the whole thing shut-up, but like the borg the system manages to bring itself back to life within a minute or so and carry on it's beeping. Am I right in assuming that the thing is running on battery power at the moment?

cheers.

Hi thanks for your responses.

There's no strobe flashing on the bell box, just the incessant bleeping (~once/sec).

The control panel isn't being of much help. It beeps and lights up when I press buttons but all that is rendered on the LCD are stars (all LCD segments set to black). Nothing I press makes any difference. Typing in my user code does nothing (apart from beep on keypress). There's also another box nearby, which I think is rigged up to the phone line that make sympathetic clicks in time with the bell beeps (sorry, worst bug report ever I know)

I've checked the circuit breakers and they're all on. I've found one which when flipped off make the whole thing shut-up, but like the borg the system manages to bring itself back to life within a minute or so and carry on it's beeping. Am I right in assuming that the thing is running on battery power at the moment?

cheers.

Yes probably, if turning one breaker off temporarily silences it but it starts again without switching the breaker on then it does sound like it's running from the battery, or at least it is during the time the breaker is off.

It's not clear how confident you are to "have a go" but you could try turning the breaker off then disconnecting the battery in the main panel.

Re-connect and try your code. If the system has crashed this may be all it will need to restore harmony but still worth having a professional once over.

To me it sounds like your battery is no longer active and you may have had a storm in the area that has sent the panel crazy.

The outside sounder if wired as sab shouild have sounded when you knocked the mains off so the whole system sounds in need of an alarm surgeon to make it better.

best wishes

Vince

I would also make certain that it is the intruder alarm making the bleeping noise and not a nearby smoke detector with a duff battery and the intruder alarm is duff aswell.

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

Just popped round to a neighbours house a few doors down whose alarm has been playing up too (going off every half hour or so) and they said that there was indeed a power-cut this afternoon. Fortunately they've got an engineer round there at the moment :) Have asked him to pop round when he's done, fingers crossed he won't just bugger off.

Thanks for the responses. It's gone midnight now and I'm more worried about setting the thing off and pissing the neighbours off than I am about taking it apart (nothing more I'd like to do than gut the bugger). I managed to speak to another engineer on the phone and he also said that taking the battery out would probably do the trick but that there's a fair chance it could cause it to sound for 15 mins. Think I might wait for this other guy to pop round and get him to take responsibility for making the loud noises :)

Thanks guys.

I'm no expert with Scantronic Mosaics, I missed those and from what I've heard I'm glad I did!

Sounds to me like you may have a mains failure to the panel and the external battery is running low as well.

All I would suggest is that you check that there is a mains supply to the panel.

Your right with the "glad you missed them" terrible panel !

If the system is not in use Down power the thing!

Archived