Security Installer Community

Shunt Swiches

Just after some advice, got a large intruder system to install in a school seven of the external doors are going to 24 hour but the caretaker wants a switch on the inside to shunt out the contact so he can put the rubbish out then come back in. My question is, can this just be a switch in a tamperproof box or has it got to be a shunt unit, if so any suggestions of which ones to use.

Thanks

Kev

Just after some advice, got a large intruder system to install in a school seven of the external doors are going to 24 hour but the caretaker wants a switch on the inside to shunt out the contact so he can put the rubbish out then come back in. My question is, can this just be a switch in a tamperproof box or has it got to be a shunt unit, if so any suggestions of which ones to use.

Thanks

Kev

What panel you thinking about fitting?

Most panels you can wire a keyswitch or prox reader or keypad to enable the area to be isolate.

Cant the rubbish be taken out before the system is set ? so reducing the risk of false alarms.

cheers

What panel you thinking about fitting?

Most panels you can wire a keyswitch or prox reader or keypad to enable the area to be isolate.

Cant the rubbish be taken out before the system is set ? so reducing the risk of false alarms.

cheers

The OP stated that the doors were to be 24 hour. No suggestion, then, of setting or unsetting the system.

Yes, OP - you can use a "normal" shunt switch such as Gardiner's sell.

Bill.

Bill

Accord Fire & Security Services Ltd.

www.accordfire.co.uk ~ TEL: 0845 474 5839

As i read your original post this is to be a 24 hr door so alarm being on or off does,nt matter.

I would reccommend you fit a proper shunt unit (one that has a beep on it when shunt is off and staff will know door is open, you could also link this beep , using relays , to a log only zone) that way it is less likely you will have false alarms caused by door being open when shunt key turned back to alarmed position. Obviously some panels do the 'shunt' procedure automatically but if not a proper shunt unit will suffice

paul

(and Bill, above, types faster then me!! :P )

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Guest old-hand
The OP stated that the doors were to be 24 hour. No suggestion, then, of setting or unsetting the system.

Bill.

OP states LARGE system, I just read into it a bit more.

Does help at times to get all the info.

Sorry, I should have stated its going to be a Galaxy panel. I have used shunt units before but thought I might be able to get away with a boxed key switch. The doors will be armed 24/7, obviously giving a local alarm during when the building is occuopied and a full alarm when empty.

So it looks like I will go with the shunt units.

Thanks for your help.

Kev

castle have shunt zones exacly for this ;) but you could get a dubble poll switch and use one side to short over contact and other to be intruder zone so if left shunted it wont allow system to set and also if some could acsess it then shunting would cause alarm when set, also you could fit an extra keypad near door and can just silence 24hour alarm when unset and would couse full alarm on set. zone type would be security on galaxy

If you are using a Galaxy then you can fit a keyswitch to a zone and use links so it will omit the 24hr zone. But Iwould advise you put in some local indication such as a buzzer or LED.

Scott

• 1 year later...

you could also program the doors as a seperate group, and assign a code for that group so that all he has to do is punch in his code, open as many doors as he likes, then re-arm the group....saves on fitting so many shunts, and cost to the customer

Every day is a school day

As the supervisor is using the shunt from inside the bufong to shunt before he exits, do you need to concider having a mini mag to prevent false alarms grom not shunting on a monitored system? Bit like final exit in reverse.

I'd suggest an ACT or Paxton V/R prox kit or similar, stand alone, perhaps in a lockable box like I have seen ADT use for their alarm keypads, that way you can restrict doors down to individuals and keep the herberts from mucking about with it.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 2 years later...

I'd suggest an ACT or Paxton V/R prox kit or similar, stand alone, perhaps in a lockable box like I have seen ADT use for their alarm keypads, that way you can restrict doors down to individuals and keep the herberts from mucking about with it.

I agree with you on this point to use lockable box. It is a smart option to use as a shunt unit.

Archived