Security Installer Community

Wireless Fire Alarm

Hi there

I have been asked to install a fire alarm at a farm building out in the middle of nowhere, the client is turning it into a b&b, they have been advised that they need a fire alarm system i have not been told yet what category anyways he has said to install wireless detectors throughout, but i know that building is made out of a iron based stone, my father has previously installed a wireless base station in there house for them and the signal was shockingly poor (it would only work with devices in the same room as it)

so i ask do you have to follow the fire officers exact requirements of a wireless system where in this situation it would be a complete waste of money! or can a wired alarm be fitted?

but the new part of the building is almost done now and installing cables to it would be a kick in the face, can you have a hybrid system?? or is that a no no

regs

alex

don't confuse the ability of wireless intruder with fire.

If I can get a signal from the panel through 5 floors in a 300 yr old edinburgh town house you'll be fine.

Have you any experience with EMS equipment?

They offer free site radio surveys.

EDA is an other option although you will have to pay for the survey kit & do it yourself (

Might be talking out my bum here but I thought pt6 systems were only for dwellings; domestic homes and premises used as such e.g. HMO's?

Houses in multiple occupation and small premises, e.g. bed and

breakfast of up to two storey

Fire Member

Silly question, but wireless stuff is normally tested when the place is not on fire...

What tests prove it works when the place is an inferno?

it might be a wind up

Same applies to non wireless systems.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

it might be a wind up

Same applies to non wireless systems.

Ah but you know that a wired fire system is going to perform for a good time during a fire mainly due to FP200, but i think thats the last thing on anyones mind "i wonder if the fire alarm is still working" when there building is burning.

anyways back to the original subject, the building is 4 floors like a farm house and half of it i have the chance to wire allready, but the rest will have to be wireless, the client is also concerned that she does not want a dutty great big fire panel in her hall, is there any where else it would be acceptable to install it with a repeater to the hall?

Regs

Archived