Security Installer Community

Bt Cable

Ash007

hi,

Just getting some builder to do some prep work to walls/electric and plastering and want to get everything ready before i decide to choose a company to install an alarm.

1. the FCU for the panel, what spec do i need to buy? from what i read something like 3a unswitched??.

2. I will place the BT cable from BT point to Control panel, with enough hanging out for engineer to do his thing. Where is the best place to get 3-4 metres worth and if you can provide a link so i know what it looks like.

Thanks

The FCU needs to be non-indicating non-switched and the alarm engineer is responsible for the fuse rating, the BT cable is spec CW1308, and you could probably get some in B&Q or any good diy store.

also a nice bit of cat 5e from master pount to were you want your computer for adsl wile its all being redone can use any left over for alarm phone point

just in case, i am reading this incorrect. bt wire for alarm circuit. :whistle::whistle: it has a solid core and is not very flexible.....alarm cable for alarm circuits...but if as i first thought , you are plannining to extend your bt line then the solid core is ok. :rolleyes:

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Sorry am confused. yes i just want to place an extra wire from the CP to the BT socket for the dialler. Not to extend the existing BT cable.

I thought they just join from the CP to the socket.

just in case, i am reading this incorrect. bt wire for alarm circuit. :whistle::whistle: it has a solid core and is not very flexible.....alarm cable for alarm circuits...but if as i first thought , you are plannining to extend your bt line then the solid core is ok. :rolleyes:

I dont normally say this, but hire someone who knows what they are doing to put in all the cables you will need now, and for the forseable future.

Not that its likely you will find someone that does, but seriously dont try to save pennies now - splash out and install the best you can get, cat5e, cat6, fibre optic, coax, whatever - get it all in their now.

• 1 year later...

Put in some standard BT solid core cable from the point where you want to position your alarm panel

to the point where your BT master socket will go.

If you do want your alarm to phone you in an event it will need to be plugged in to that BT socket.

Remember if you have BT Broadband fitted, Your alarm engineer may have to fit a Broadband filter

in line with your alarm.

BT dont like alarm engineers connecting directly into their wiring even though we have an ex BT

engineer doing work for us! hahahaha

Avoid the Powermax and Powermax Pro. Too many dead battery problems for my liking although they are

good DIY alarm systems if you want to install yourself. Just be prepared to replace batteries every

a year and even twice a year for door contacts...

Get a good security engineer to first fix your house for a wired system while you can.

Ian.

Avoid the Powermax and Powermax Pro. Too many dead battery problems for my liking although they are

good DIY alarm systems if you want to install yourself. Just be prepared to replace batteries every

a year and even twice a year for door contacts...

Ian.

Hmmm, how many have you had with this trait?

Company says 3 yrs on spec, tech actually say 2 if you ask them.

I have found replacing at 2 yrs is fine. Fob batteries go quicker IMHO.

And as above .

Archived