Security Installer Community

Galaxy Gold And Remote Access

santauk

I have a Galaxy 500 with telecom and ethernet modules installed. When I fitted the ethernet module, I can use any PC in my house to connect to the Intruder Alarm no issues. Now, when I use the laptop over the dial up, in my own home, I can connect to the system, again, no issues. However, in work using dialup, I am unable to connect to the system.

When I start Remote Servicing Suite, and try to connect via TCP/IP - when I press Dial, it fails to come up with the usual screen saying "Connect with site". All that happens is about twenty seconds later, a message box appears saying unable to connect. I need to test the system using someone elses broadband line, to see if its dial up thats too slow for RSS, but if I can connect from inside my own home on the phone line, I don't see why I can't when I am thirty miles away from my home!!!

Anyone help me with this one?

Puzzled......

SantaUK

If I knew a better manu (my fault, I have not enough money to test more) I would say dump honeywell and go elsewehere.

Saying that, its probably not the alarms fault, Im just being honest, and telling you how I see things...

Are all your required ports forwarded in your firewall/router etc? If you are saying eh, then get someone in.....

If they are, are any restrictions in place in your workplace?

If I knew a better manu (my fault, I have not enough money to test more) I would say dump honeywell and go elsewehere.

Saying that, its probably not the alarms fault, Im just being honest, and telling you how I see things...

Are all your required ports forwarded in your firewall/router etc? If you are saying eh, then get someone in.....

I have a galaxy g2-20 installed on a single site - unmonitored. The installation includes an ethernet module.

Is there any way that I can communicate with the system using remote PC without investing in expensive Honeywell monitoring software.?

Thanks for that - just back from a weeks hols to Rhodes :- Excellent!!

Anyway, the dial up bit i am connected with is via an inbuilt modem in my laptop, so no work interference there. All ports are open, as I can connect when I sit in my house in via dialup. What I believed might be the case is that going through exchanges may slowwww the conection down slightly, and as such, I thought a setting in RSS may be able to adjust the waiting around time before a warning sign appeared - just a thought????

Regards

SantaUK

Thanks for that - just back from a weeks hols to Rhodes :- Excellent!!

Anyway, the dial up bit i am connected with is via an inbuilt modem in my laptop, so no work interference there. All ports are open, as I can connect when I sit in my house in via dialup. What I believed might be the case is that going through exchanges may slowwww the conection down slightly, and as such, I thought a setting in RSS may be able to adjust the waiting around time before a warning sign appeared - just a thought????

Regards

SantaUK

Built in laptop modems are no foolproof. Unpredictable results can and do occur with them.

there are only cetain modems that are guaranteed to work with rss

you can try modifying the modem reset string to suit your modem though.

Id suggest thats your problem.

I take it on board, but my thoughts are confused with why I can connect from my own house, and not from an office 30 miles away. I am going to go round to a friends house tomorrow and I'll try dialing in from there, and see what happens.

i presume you rnot dialling with your modem in your own house?

Same modem, same laptop, different phone line. Same ISP number to dial up, same IP address and port number to connect - only can't connect from a line in my office that we use for our fax machine. I disconnect the faxmachine from the line, connect to Orange ISP via a dialup number. All other internet activity works normally, only when I use RSS it refuses to connect to my alarm. No changes in any of the software settings etc from when I connect at home via dialup. Weird......

Archived