Security Installer Community

British Gas as installer

Guest stefano

Guest stefano

Hi there!

I have contacted a number of NACOSS approved installers.

One of them is BRITISH GAS. They are a large company, which leads to me to think they are good and reliable. However, they are amongst the most expensive ones:

for a basic monitored security system in a three bedroom house (including garage) [4 wireless PIRS, a dual tech for the garage, 3 door contacts] they charge just over £1000.

Any opinions?

Thank you for helping.

Stefano.

Guest simmo

I'd agree big is not always best - the bigger companies often have bigger prices as they have more overheads.

Can you not get a recommendation? Somebody you know locally must have had an alarm system fitted at some stage?

With regards to pricing its always worth finding out what panel and kit they are installing, then pop up on this site and ask what we think of the kit they are offering for the money.

cheers

Simmo B)

Guest stefano

Thanks out there! I can't believe that people I don't know are spending their time helping me... it's magic! :D

I got a recommendation for an installer, and got a quote: here is the hardware:

1. Control Panel: Scantronic 9751 End Station (Keypad 9930)

2. Front door: a] Chubb 3G114 lock (connected to keypad for "Lock Set")

b] Flush magnetic contact

3. Kitchen double leaf door: flush magnetic contacts

4. Garage door: heavy duty surface magnetic type contact

5. Hallway: Rokonet Cosmos PQ 'Quad' PIR

6. Main living area: Optex SQ Sequential Twin PIR

7. First floor landing: Rokonet Cosmos PQ 'Quad' PIR

8. Two twin push panic alarm buttons (hallway + bedroom)

9. External sounder:

a] Multi Tone Electronic Twin Sounder

b] Strobe Light

c] Optional Flashing LED

d] High Security Glavanised Steel Inner Housing

e] Polycarbonate Outer Housing

f] Front and rear tamper switches

10. Dummy bell box at the rear

(The reason for the extensive coverage is that I wanted monitoring with police involvement)

All the above - installation and everything - £934 + VAT

I checked the prices of every item (calling various distributors), and believe that the hardware wouldn't cost more £400 (at the very most, and buying it as an individual).

Now, I am perfectly aware that there is a lot of work involved - and skilled work! But I have no idea whatsoever whether £534 (the difference) is a fair amount for labour plus profit. Any idea? (On a side note, I really liked the guy who came for the survey, and felt I could trust him).

Thanks for your help!

Stefano.

Does the above price include monitoring ? if it does what type of monitoring ?

What about the other rooms ? There seems a lot not mentioned, Dining Room ? Kitchen ? Study ? etc etc.

I`d guess that most companies would install all the equipment you mention for somewhere between £675 and £750 +VAT. (Monitoring would be extra).

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest Adrian

B) Hi there a little about the kit to be installed

The panel and keypad (scany 9751) Not a bad alarm panel the keypad is full English text with full time and date stamp it is also exspandable by using exspanders if needed at a later date.

Comes with a digi com built in (so its most likely to be digi connection for monitoring)

Rokonet Cosmos PQ 'Quad' PIRs A very good and reliable PIR don't think I,ve had a faulty one in 12 months.

Optex SQ Sequential Twin PIR Is this being used to get the confirmed signal for the police? I thought these did not comply with the current regs to generate the confirmed signal on their own (If I am wrong someone will correct me!)

As for the price if it includes the monitoring then that is a fairly good price. you could do with a lot worse!!

Adrian B)

Guest simmo

Also before laying out for a monitored system check out what the Police response is to monitored alarms in your area.

Forces prioritise alarms in their individual areas. Don't look at the ACPO stats, talk to a local beat officer if you can find one, or even better try and talk to one of the guys/girls driving the area car/response vehicle to get a good idea of local response times as these are the people who will respond to your alarm.

As an example when I was a response driver in Sussex we had 20mins to get to a monitored alarm with confirmed activation which is a helluva long time. If you live in a built up area its normally 10minutes.

Archived