Security Installer Community

External Sounder Wiring

I've fitted my own alarm system and i'm very happy with it. The panel is a Bosh Abacus Evolution. The sounder is a Texecom Odyssey.

This is completely non-standard, but so I can tinker without disturbing my neighbors, I've installed a secret switch inside the house and taken a seperate wire from the sounder to this switch. This wire breaks into the connection to one side of the siren. I was surprised to find that when the switch is in the off position, the siren still sounds at about 25% of the normal volume. So I assume that this must be caused by inductance along the wire. To make sure, I disconnected the switch altogether and got the same behavior. ie at the switch end, the ends of the wires were not connected to anything.

Can anyone suggest anything that I can connect into the circuit in order to stop this happening?

Thanks in advance?

Ian

I've fitted my own alarm system and i'm very happy with it. The panel is a Bosh Abacus Evolution. The sounder is a Texecom Odyssey.

This is completely non-standard, but so I can tinker without disturbing my neighbors, I've installed a secret switch inside the house and taken a seperate wire from the sounder to this switch. This wire breaks into the connection to one side of the siren. I was surprised to find that when the switch is in the off position, the siren still sounds at about 25% of the normal volume. So I assume that this must be caused by inductance along the wire. To make sure, I disconnected the switch altogether and got the same behavior. ie at the switch end, the ends of the wires were not connected to anything.

Can anyone suggest anything that I can connect into the circuit in order to stop this happening?

Thanks in advance?

Ian

so the wire to the siren in the bell box is in series with the switch? the switch goes open and the siren still works at 25%?

possibly there two sirens in the bell box and you have only connected one through your switch?

You need to use a double pole switch then to break both connections to the sounder, although I don't recommend fitting anything that will intentionally prevent a sounder from working like that.

Trade Member

id be vary cautious here as it sounds like you have broke into the piezo wire. if so there is a lot of voltage going to those 10-20000v if i recall

same as a strobe. also if someone removes your sounder from the wall it wont sound

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Back to the manual then and use the engineers hold off facility.

I've been digging around. I cant find the documentation that came with the sounder. I had a look on the web and although I found some documentation, it didn't explain about the engineer mode in a way that I could understand.

It does sound like they are breaking the supply to the piezo. :o

If you read and understood the manual you would know what not to do to make it sound and how to shut it up if it does.

If you need the instruction manual then contact Texecom.

Archived