Security Installer Community

Pci Card Dvr

Rayman

Lads

I am wondering can any of ye tell me what to look for in a good dvr card, I have a spare pc so its just a project with not much funds, Already have two cameras so just need a Dvr card that works

Thanks...

Rayman

rayman

i doubt anyoen will be able to help as there are no professional pci cards. ie the whole principle has major downsides for a pro company and none of us would use them.

There may be some of the non pro's on here that can provide feedback.

The only way to do it right it is to use dedicated dvr.

If you want to use your pc (assuming its a decent spec and very very stable) then have a look at milestone or axis camera station, neither use pci cards you will have to use ip cameras or video servers, but means you can use your hardware.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks will look into it.......

Real cheap option is USB capture lead, loads on ebay. You will need reasonable machine and i would expect you to get a max of about 8-12 fps. I would get the single input version only as the four camera option only really work with four camera attached.

Cheap and works without having to take PC apart.

But the DVR is the answer.

cheers

Not sure if you are an installer or the end user, which ever it is you are potentially heading down a very expensive path with PCI cards. Building a DVR out of a PCI card and existing PC is not as simple as adding in the card because even if you get a good one that does not guarantee no hardware handshake issues which may not be evident for a few weeks.

If you are the end user then you may see it as worth the chance as it may make use of existing equipment and you only have yourself to answer to, if you are an installer forget it! Buy a standalone DVR, PCI Card + PC (even if willing to give it for free)+proper testing+after sales support = a hell of a lot more than a decent standalone DVR and if they cannot aford that then walk away, your reputation is worth more than the profit (if any) from that sort of budget.

old kodicom cards but need to get software and needs clean pro2000/xp install but good thing is you could use it for other jobs so simple file server, print server, ect ect but you would need good mainboard to do it all also i think it triples your electric cost instead of a dvr even an old one and you would not be able to use it and recoard at same time only backround tasks like file server, print server, ect

rayman

i doubt anyoen will be able to help as there are no professional pci cards. ie the whole principle has major downsides for a pro company and none of us would use them.

There may be some of the non pro's on here that can provide feedback.

The only way to do it right it is to use dedicated dvr.

If you want to use your pc (assuming its a decent spec and very very stable) then have a look at milestone or axis camera station, neither use pci cards you will have to use ip cameras or video servers, but means you can use your hardware.

James

Care to elaborate?

If you know what your doing, a pc based dvr can be better than a off the shelf package that costs many times more.

If you dont know what your doing, then it doesnt matter if its a pc based pci card, or a pro dvr - both could be lemons.

Plus - some manufacturers of pro dvr's do use pci cards, visimetrics for one used them in their octar machines, geovision would probably argue about their high end cards not being pro either...

Seriously if you have a reason for it, let me know, Im interested....

nowt wrong with pci cards per se. But to generalise i would say that most people looking at pci cards are not looking at a heigh end solution.

but your right to a point, IF you know how to correctly configure and build a server AND maintain the system, check logs, look for errors, generally maintain the machine then yes i suppose you can get a similar experience from a pc based setup. I would strognly advise against using this pc for anything other than the cctv role, as most people who use this tend to add it to their main pc. NOt sure about yours but i have a high spec pc, that is well cared for etc, but is not 100% reliable. Occasoinally when loading or running call of duty, or compliling in visual studio... something will go wrong and the machine will need a reboot. But my dvr just carries on and while my pc is restarting/crashing, ending processes, my dvr has recorded my car get scratched etc.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, best keep the machine dedicated - I have a pc (in a rackmount case, in a server cabinet) that is dedicated purely to cctv, all non-essential services etc disabled, well cooled, and loaded with drives (and serial ports to connect to other stuff like a switch, alarm, cameras etc). Also keep a fastar dvr in the rack, both the pc and the fastar have had faults, on the pc, the power supply went bang (easily replaced, and rare event, only happened once to me since I have been using PC's but seen it happen a couple of times, once when a psu was megga tested, other time when a sales girl thought she could save the company electricity by switching the 110/220v selector on the back to 110 so it used less power) and a drive failed in the fastar. Power the whole lot through a couple of UPS's - which reminds me I still need to get either a battery or a UPS on the router, as that is a weak point..

As well as turning off xp services that are not needed, and not installing any other software that is not needed, automatic windows update's etc are disabled, as microsoft have a habit of deciding to install a update and restart machines at frequent intervals, not great if your pc updates and reboots just when it should be capturing someone breaking in or whatever.

Have tried some cheap dvr cards, like the ebay pico specials, not recommended ;)

Archived