Security Installer Community

Prestige Qd Coverage

Hello All,

I've installed a Premier 24 with 7 EOL PIR's (Prestige QDs) and a door contact, all OK no problems.

The PIRs are ceiling mounted, as the cable is run up under the stairs and then down through the ceilings into the rooms below. Position of the joists and the downstairs covings have prevented me mounting them right in the corner as I wanted, a couple of rooms are OK, a couple of them the PIR's are 10" away from the wall.

I (now) know, the Prestige PIR's don't come with a bracket where you can angle the PIR down a bit. Instead you adjust the height by sliding the PIR up/down in the casing to change coverage.

There's a bit of a blind spot in front of (i.e almost under) these PIR's, they're about 2.7M high, and one of them has 2 doors very near to it (right in front of it, to the left), I can move from door to door without tripping it. This is with the PIR set at 3M, as shown in the install doc, to move the coverage a bit more below the PIR. PIR in question is about 10" away from corner of the room.

Although the scale on the Prestige stops at 3.0M, can I slide the PIR past that point on the scale to try and bring the coverage down and closer to the PIR, or will I just lose coverage of the PIR if I do that (mounting case for the PIR will get in the way) ? The room is small so long distance coverage is not required (roughly 12'x12'). I know it's a case of just try it, but I'm wondering if Texecom say - don't go past the 3M point on the scale, for any reason.

Or, shall I reseat the PIR on the ceiling so I can point it down a bit (e.g. wood spacer)?

Or, shall I swap the PIR out for another one (EOL resistors preferred), with a more adjustable bracket ? (Easiest?)

Last choice is move the PIR to the other side of the room and point it towards the doors. I really don't want to do that. New cable is not an option, I'd have to extend the current cable (would solder joints affect the EOL operation with the increased resistance ?). Considering the room above, moving the PIR would be a real ball ache , I'm not keen.

At the moment there is not a single cable showing anywhere, to bell boxes, keypads or PIRs.

Would appreciate your comments..i.e..what would you do ? :-)

Thanks.

Ars.

are the rooms protected with these 2 doors? ie the other side etc.

Ideally you want the sensor to look at these doors, or move the sensor back. Idont know the unit they have but do they have a creep zone (ie look down area)

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

You can't tilt it because of the way the clips snap together...it's not a bracket for that sort of adjustment, I'd have to screw it back to the ceiling on something slightly uneven that would tilt it for me.

The 2 doors, well one is protected better than the other one.

There's no creep zone that I'm aware of on that PIR, but I like the sound of it. Sort of 2 PIR's in 1. Maybe I should find one of those and swap it out. Moving the sensor back would be such a pain, it's not a job for this month or next!...

Movement detectors are 'trap protection'.

The only real way to get 100% cover in any room is to have a detector in every corner, even a 360 detector does not give 100% cover.

You say the detector is giving cover to your main concern, the patio doors, so it's doing its job then?

Now, the two internal doors, can you get to them from the Patio doors or any window that is also in the room, I bet not.

What protection is 'on the other side of these doors', do they really need to be covered by this detector?

PS

A line drawing plan would help us better to see what you are trying to achieve

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Guest old-hand
You can't tilt it because of the way the clips snap together...it's not a bracket for that sort of adjustment, I'd have to screw it back to the ceiling on something slightly uneven that would tilt it for me.

You can tilt it,your just not thinking about it correctly!

Archived