Security Installer Community

Going On Hols?

Sure plenty of advice must be around from members on here.

Thought I'd give first tip.

Never put your name & address on luggage, put mobile number or contact number eg keyholders.

Reason: "people" will know you're away. (from those who got broken into & we fitted alarm after - so could say 1st tip fit an alarm :) )

(loads of other tips, sure others could push the point home with customer experiences).

Guest old-hand

All the usual ones really, cancel the milk/papers.

Inform a neighbour to keep an eye out for you.

Cut the lawn/grass the day before you leave, this is so easily missed out but a clue for baddies so to speak.

One customer had not cancelled the papers and he could not open his door because they jammed it ............

No scary stories, your off on your hols. Just take suitable precautions.

Now go enjoy

I remember the crime prevention advise given out when I was a kid:

Buy a big dog and don't go on holiday when the fair's in town.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Guest old-hand
I remember the crime prevention advise given out when I was a kid:

Buy a big dog and don't go on holiday when the fair's in town.

Yeah, but your old!

Have to smile at one of my neighbors, spent half a day hitching caravan and loading the car etc, during which time the Gyppos must have driven past 2 or 3 times looking for scrap and blowing trumpets out the van windows ( why do they drive past so often ? must realise they have had all the scrap there is by now )

Obvious to anybody they will be away for a while. Caravans missing, no alarm fitted, Just a Yale lock on the front door.

Nice new car. Nice drive. Nice Caravan, cant afford an alarm, or decent locks.............

Fortunately, not a bad area for crime, but still, some people just ask for trouble.

Ask the mother in law to stay while you're away.

Works for me.

Bill.

Is she that scary Bill?

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Set your alarm system before you go away!

and dont forget your latop so you can dial into the security cameras :lol:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Well, I'd say its a good time to review your keyholders. Have you changed your front door (new lock? - do they have a key). Have you changed your alarm code (had more than one call up to ask if we knew the code/ or insisting the alarm isnt working properly).

Are keyholders familiar with the system? Have you had any changes made? Is setting/unsetting the same?

Got a customer who has fallen out with neighbour who was supposed to come & feed the cat. Date & time log showed she only fed it once - the day before they were due back!

If you got people staying whilst your away, are they familiar also? (had customers' mother-in-law, Mrs bucket type say the alarm was going off bang on 7am each morning in the master bedroom from the panic button. Insisted on a call out next morning (Sunday) at 6.50am. Found travel alarm clock under bed that customer hadnt packed - V expensive!)

Ask the mother in law to stay while you're away.

Works for me.

Bill.

Ok if you dont mind her reading every document in the house.

Mine got pissed and upset the neighbors when I tried it.

Archived