Security Installer Community

Grade 2 / Grade 3 Door Contacts

Alex

Hello,

what would you say are the best Grade 2 (and grade 3) door contacts (flush/surface)? I've replaced some surface grade 3 ones recently due to false alarms with grade 2 (were grade 2 systems furtunately) . Haven't had any problems since. Have you had any probs with grade 3 contacts?

cheers,

Alex

cheers,

Alex

lots of discussion on the trade side about this but yes there have been issues for some brands.

We use elmdene and dont have any issues apart from roller doors.

tbh i think the contact has had its day.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Guest old-hand
lots of discussion on the trade side about this but yes there have been issues for some brands.

We use elmdene and dont have any issues apart from roller doors.

~Pir`s on entry exit??????

This is a theory I almost ....just almost......commented on in another thread this weekend - forget which one right now, as Mr Carlsberg's memories are still foremost in my mind at this moment......

However, I am in agreement with you on this totally. I do believe it is time we came up with alternatives for the "humble" door contact.

A replacement would be difficult, though - what is more simple in principle than a contact, yet offers as much flexibility? Flush contacts are susceptible to water ingress, whilst surface contacts are vulnerable to damage from impact. Both are vulnerable to magnet issues, such as theft of the magnet, or even just alignment - something that beams also suffer from.

Space detection is not a viable replacement for contacts, as someone suggests, tongue in cheek - and ideally the replcaement device would also be as solid state as possible - no moving parts - and as impervious to all the faults of today's detection as possible. Of course, nailing the sub's doors shut isn't really an answer either, much as it would solve their problem.

The other thing with this is that a door contact actually only helps if someone is kind enough to put the whole door in. If they merely remove panels within the door, the contact may not break circuit at all.

Yet, for all this said, I am struggling at this point to imagine an alternative - and am inclined to think that perhaps what we really want is a "better" contact, which doesn not suffer the probelms of the current crop.

Bill.

Bill

Accord Fire & Security Services Ltd.

www.accordfire.co.uk ~ TEL: 0845 474 5839

did you swap contact and magnets? as these are matched sets on grade 3 and exsisting mags wont cut it

also got good g2 contacts on doors and windows 6 zones all ground floor external windows + doors no problems, also if someone dose go trough door panle's then wont couse entry and couse alarm on pir so :)

Bill

Im thinking something along the lines of a small tag reader. This would then detect the presence of the allowed tag, and would ignore illigal tags. Maybe afetr 10 incorrect tags were detected it could record a mask attempt etc.

Read range would be quite large, waterproof etc. BUt expensive to manufacture.

However i have said this before about 4 yrs ago, and i reakon the reed and magnet will be with us for some time yet.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

maybe need two nails in the frame and metal strip on door, door closes metal strip connects the two nails, there you go contact of the future if anyone interested patent pending, lol

Must admit I'm not familiar with the problems that people seem to be experiencing with contacts but in my experience they are the most reliable for of protection there is.

It is true that it is possible to get through a door without opening it but if it's a final exit door and the area is also covered with a PIR it's not a problem.

I really don't get this "contacts have had their day" argument at all, what better way of protecting an opening door or window than a simple reliable non electronic detector? (backed up with trap protection/SID where needed)

contacts are the only way to go or lock with switch contact in it, but no problems with any contacts here only old ones lol

Guest old-hand
maybe need two nails in the frame and metal strip on door, door closes metal strip connects the two nails, there you go contact of the future if anyone interested patent pending, lol

Door Transfer unit used in Europe for years................................not compliant but a great item.

:D

Guest old-hand
Are these used to connect things like shunt locks in the same way as we would use a door loop?

Yep.

Basically they are a moving part that sends a voltage or can be used as a shunt CCT. Moving as in the receiver is "sprung" the receiver is passive.

Cisa SRS and a host of others sell them

lawandorder

Do you use grade 3 contacts or are you on about the old ones we aint allowed to use anymore?

TBH I have never used a grade 3 contact which is probably why I don't understand the problem.

I haven't worked full time in the trade for a few years now and the odd bit I do now is small domestics and the odd bit of maintenance to help a mate out.

Are grade 3 a bit problematical? (is that a real word)? LOL

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Our YEND74 is extremely popular, and indeed one of our biggest Grade 3 sellers.

Main features are:

• selectable resistors on board for all the main UK intruder panels
  • header supplied to bypass the Magnetic Interference Detection to quickly turn it into a Grade 2 surface contact
  • works on double doors
  • comes with two free packing spacers for awkward frame / doors.

Product at the link:

http://www.knightfireandsecurity.com/view_item.asp?id=212

i had problems with knight plastics surface G2 contacts, the anti tamper loop was not soldered, only one twist the stuffed into some kear sleeving. net results loads of tampers after about 6 months installed. you think just an odd one got through, but after a third failed i stripped out ones i had in stock, and, all were the same :(

but credit due, their G3 RSC have been excellent

Our YEND74 is extremely popular, and indeed one of our biggest Grade 3 sellers.

Main features are:

• selectable resistors on board for all the main UK intruder panels
  • header supplied to bypass the Magnetic Interference Detection to quickly turn it into a Grade 2 surface contact
  • works on double doors
  • comes with two free packing spacers for awkward frame / doors.
Product at the link:http://www.knightfireandsecurity.com/view_item.asp?id=212

i used these this year, very good to on metal doors and frames :).

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

i had problems with knight plastics surface G2 contacts, the anti tamper loop was not soldered, only one twist the stuffed into some kear sleeving. net results loads of tampers after about 6 months installed. you think just an odd one got through, but after a third failed i stripped out ones i had in stock, and, all were the same :(

but credit due, their G3 RSC have been excellent

i used these this year, very good to on metal doors and frames :).

cheers for the feedback Arfur, both good and bad! 

Yes, we did indeed get a few issues with installers saying the solder was snapping on the G2 surface contacts (only about 20 out of around 30,000, but still 20 too many), so we revisited the design on this and will shortly be releasing a superior version called the YEND24 (your part was the YEND21).

http://www.knightfireandsecurity.com/view_item.asp?id=354

The new version will have a PCB on a base, with a lid (along the lines of our YEND74, D75 and D75MULTI). 

This product will fit the same footprint, but will have far more room inside for connections, and then you just screw down the lid.  The headers provided will cover all of the main UK panels including Honeywell / Cooper / Texecom / HKC / RISCO / Guardall etc, and even some variations of these values such as Inner Range (2k2 6k8).

There is also the option of a traditional 4 wire / no resistor option.

It will have true double door functionality for all the main UK panels (some panels couldn't handle the original version), and there will also be a Grade 3 version with Magnetic Interference Detection, part code XEND24.

Archived