Security Installer Community

Domestic Cctv

mk2dee

was looking to know what would be a good 4/8 channel dvr for a domestic install. not cheap stuff, somthing with decent harddrive at least 250gb, cd drive, and networkable so can connect to netgear router for remote viewing?

also a good flat screen monitor because the ones my work uses are the bests and quite often get few complaints from costumers

and last a good external dome camera. day/night or infrared at least 480 tvl

im just a pricing a few domestics for my self and would like to try and get it right 1st time.

if you could give me an idea for what products yous guys would recommend and what price and were to get if from?

this would be a great help,

thanks

let me know how you get on with it. and give me a idea of what price the stuff is?

Well I'm not a pro installer and I wouldn't presume to offer advice over and above what the helpful guys here do. But for what it's worth:

One problem I've been having with the domes is that the cables from the camera unit are not long enough to go through my walls (cables 200mm, walls 450mm) but this might be the case with most domes, I dunno.

Trying to cram all the cables in behind the camera when you put it into its backbox/wallbracket is a real PITA. Each cable has a ferrite ring and I soldered and terminal blocked the 12V and RS485 cables which used up even more space. I am neurotic about forcing things so it took a lot of fiddling about. Using a junction box was not an option due to aesthetic demands.

Also they recommend that you fit this backbox/bracket a certain way up. The problem is I had to pass my cables through the lower edge for aesthetic reasons but this meant turning the backbox "upsidedown" because there is no cable entry on the lower edge with their orientation.

Therefore the cameras had to be placed upsidedown (ie the right way around in an upsidedown backbox) otherwise the cover doesn't line up with the backbox properly (an asymetric cover, :angry2: ) and I have no idea what implications this has. I did notice that this way up the PCB was near the bottom so maybe it's worries about water ingress.

Apart from that the cameras seem very solid and well made. I'll write up how the DVR goes in and how the system integrates(again for what it's worth).

We use Dynamic gear for our domestics and have had no problems at all.

Looking at Systems Q's Alien DVR and it looks very impressive so will give that a shot next time.

Samsung equipment is also very good.

!

Guest RJBsec
One problem I've been having with the domes is that the cables from the camera unit are not long enough to go through my walls (cables 200mm, walls 450mm) but this might be the case with most domes, I dunno.

That's the case with just about all domes - watch out for notices informing you that cutting the cables, (to remove connectors and solder the cables), invalidates the warranty!

Comon guys, get real...

You don't need an external dome camera land a day/night or infrared at least 480 tvl would be adquete but nowadays comon...

Why on earth people bang on about 352 tv lines and CIF and such I don't know, you really need above 500 lines DVD quality or VGA

I know that Police have been rejecting CIF for some time now, especially in Scotland. (Partially because they're lazy)

Lets talk about a real domestic setup of 2-4 cameras

4 axis cameras

was looking to know what would be a good 4/8 channel dvr for a domestic install. not cheap stuff, somthing with decent harddrive at least 250gb, cd drive, and networkable so can connect to netgear router for remote viewing?

also a good flat screen monitor because the ones my work uses are the bests and quite often get few complaints from costumers

im just a pricing a few domestics for my self and would like to try and get it right 1st time.

if you could give me an idea for what products yous guys would recommend and what price and were to get if from?

thanks

Hi mate. I like the samsung DVRs and for the the price Samsung monitors are mint. If you need to keep the cost down look at using VGA monitors. As for cameras I think you get what you pay for

Manchester based Lee 07709 736 987

www.secure-solutions.info

• 3 weeks later...

thanks

I've just bought 2 Xenyum channel DVR. The stuff looks very good quality with good connectivity.

Archived