Security Installer Community

Pir Sensitivity

I just installed a Bosch Blue Line P1 PIR in my bedroom. I'm amazed how insensitive it is. Standing immediately in front of it at a distance of 8 ft, I can side step a foot without triggering it. I can also wave my arms from side to side without triggering it. If I was a burgular, I would have no trouble at all in creeping past it. Does this sound right? It's the pet friendly version, but I removed the strip to revert it to a standard model.

Ian

there is more than that strip in difference between detectors and pet freindly detectors are a lot slower than non pet sensors however

Your testing it wrong.

It should not see your arm, or you moving a foot. It looking for your torso to take at least 2 steps.

If it were to detect your hand then it false alarm all the time.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

agreed.

Dont get me wrong i think the bluelines are the best of the pet detectors, im just not a fan of the theory. When i have no choice but to use one (ie cant use perimeter protection) then we use the bluelines. And they are good.... for a pet sensor lol

Yes

But you need to balance stability with detection.

If you want something quick, really quick but will false alarm, go for a cheap sensor as this has huge amplification on its pyro to make it work at all, but expect a lot of false alarms.

The blueline is a good unit, but id say the honeywell is215 was quicker. Id also say the optex rx40 was better (but not quicker)

you need to pick your sensor for your environment. They all have there plus and minus points

Well I certainly dont want something that will false alarm. I came in here for advice about the correct course of action.

I will try the Honeywell IS215. I notice that there are 2 variants... the IS215TCE and the IS215TQ. Is there much difference between them?

the tq is now obsolete and is/was a better sensor as its a quad.

However it was a 4737 sensor and is not compliant with the new regs

There is still the is215T (4737 varient) and the 215TCE (en 50131 varient)

Both excellent sensors. Primary differnce is the tce has temp compensation the t does not

Guest RJBsec

Fitted a Blueline Pet-friendly this morning and I would not say that it was at all slow - granted I didn't just stand and wave at it, (if I did I would have got part recognition). Makes me wonder whether the detector mentioned in the o/p is fitted/set correctly?

I wondered that, but as far as I can see there is no sensitivity control. I can't imagine how you could install it incorrectly and have it working at all. The centre line of the sensor is 8' 9" off the floor. This is 3" inside the recommended maximum. I just stood 10' directly in front of it and waved my extended arm in a 180' arc without triggering it. A previous post implied that this was normal though.

The Honeywell IS215TCE's arrived this morning. I just replace the Bosch bedroom sensor with one of them. I have to say I'm impressed. Its at least 3 - 4 times more sensitive than the Bosch. I've left it on chime for a few days to see if it mistriggers at all.

Thanks for the recomendation.

Ian

Archived