Security Installer Community

Fused Spur

mk2dee

a fused spur for a domestic alarm. just to settle a we argument at work lol,

is it ok to spur off a ring main in 2.5 t&e?

and what about spuring off lighting circut im 1.5 t&e?

what is the proper reg for spurs for alarm? cable size? etc

you leave lights on 24hr when you go away?

No but some people use 'plug in' lights to simulate activity whilst away

Only way to put a new circuit in is to be part p.

Ehmmmmmm..................so all intruder companies etc adhere to this?

But I always come off a 230v ring with a spur anyway!.....................

'Plug in' lights..........

The key is in the sentance, they are 'plug in' hence on ring so wont trip lighting ciircuit. Personally I dont see a problem with spuring off lights so long as the circuit demand allows i.e. A circuit with 11 or 12 lights on it couldn't really cope with the demnad of an alarm. 4 or 5 and your fine. Also make sure the breaker is labelled at the CU as lighting AND ALARM. Obviously other methods are better but sometimes, just sometimes, there is no option.

Trade Member

'Plug in' lights..........

The key is in the sentance, they are 'plug in' hence on ring so wont trip lighting ciircuit. Personally I dont see a problem with spuring off lights so long as the circuit demand allows i.e. A circuit with 11 or 12 lights on it couldn't really cope with the demnad of an alarm. 4 or 5 and your fine. Also make sure the breaker is labelled at the CU as lighting AND ALARM. Obviously other methods are better but sometimes, just sometimes, there is no option.

no wont trip a lighting circuit but the ring main may well be covered by an rcd Earth leakage device, now RCDs are prone to tripping on earth faults correct, so if the pond or outdoor sockets trip sai rcd while on holiday then the same situation arrises, dedicated circuit every time on an MCB not an rcd installed within regs to comply with that cable not been buried in a wall.

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Why a new circuit?

Part P not required for everything

part p only required for new circuits in special locations ie outside areas, kitchens, and bathroom, and i dought the panel will be installed in a bathroom :lol:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

part p only required for new circuits in special locations ie outside areas, kitchens, and bathroom, and i dought the panel will be installed in a bathroom :lol:

What about an airing cupboard within a bathroom - special location?

no wont trip a lighting circuit but the ring main may well be covered by an rcd Earth leakage device, now RCDs are prone to tripping on earth faults correct, so if the pond or outdoor sockets trip sai rcd while on holiday then the same situation arrises, dedicated circuit every time on an MCB not an rcd installed within regs to comply with that cable not been buried in a wall.

Fair comment mate. What would you do then if the customer has had a standard dual RCD board fitted that has no unprotected ways. RCD's cause no end of trouble. You could also argue the fact that the dead (or dying) alarm will alert someone of the defrosting fridge freezer, lol.

Trade Member

Fair comment mate. What would you do then if the customer has had a standard dual RCD board fitted that has no unprotected ways. RCD's cause no end of trouble. You could also argue the fact that the dead (or dying) alarm will alert someone of the defrosting fridge freezer, lol.

if its a dual rcd board then there is a 50/50 chance tyhat the other rcd will trip, but me i usually install a split load with 2 rcds and 3 ways un protected for security and smoke alarms ;)

if its a dual rcd board then there is a 50/50 chance tyhat the other rcd will trip, at risk of stating the obvious? but me i usually install a split load with 2 rcds and 3 ways un protected for security and smoke alarms ;)

Doesn't answer the question though does it?

Archived