Security Installer Community

Help! Scantronic 960 Dialler On A 9800 Panel

Roonie

Hello All,

I moved into a place a few years back which had a 9800 Scantronic alarm system fitted. It's fairly old, but still works fine. I've had quotes to upgrade it, but was way beyond my budget. I recently acquired a 960 speech dialler/digital communicater. Its has the standard scantronic plug-on interface, so I simply opened up my 9800 panel and plugged the communicator in.

I got a telephone line extension (that works) plugged into it, however, on lifting the handset the LED light on the panel should come on and I should get a dial tone....I don't get either.

I've read the install instruction for the 960 many times and I cannot figure out what I'm missing. My questions is do I need to do anything else to get the 960 speech dialler working? I assumed it got its power and triggers via the plug-in pins.

Any guidance or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

cheers.

I'm assuming you have connected the phoneline (do you have broadband? If so, it must be filtered). Are you getting 50 volts at the phoneline connections on the 960?

You are correct, the unit is powered and triggered via the plug on pins.

Trade Member

Guest RJBsec
so I simply opened up my 9800 panel and plugged the communicator in.

Did you remove power from the panel before plugging it on?

Did you remove power from the panel before plugging it on?

I think the short answer to that one is, NO :o

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Thanks for the feedback gents.

Yes - the unit was totally powered down (mains & battery) before the 960 dialler was "plugged-in".

Also, the telephone line is connected via broadband filter.

Any other ideas?

Appreciated. Thanks.

Guest RJBsec
I recently acquired a 960 speech dialler/digital communicater.

How did you acquire it, eBay?

The unit is old and obsolete so it could be that it is faulty if you have it powered and you are using a tone phone as instructed.

Hello All,

I moved into a place a few years back which had a 9800 Scantronic alarm system fitted. It's fairly old, but still works fine. I've had quotes to upgrade it, but was way beyond my budget. I recently acquired a 960 speech dialler/digital communicater. Its has the standard scantronic plug-on interface, so I simply opened up my 9800 panel and plugged the communicator in.

I got a telephone line extension (that works) plugged into it, however, on lifting the handset the LED light on the panel should come on and I should get a dial tone....I don't get either.

I've read the install instruction for the 960 many times and I cannot figure out what I'm missing. My questions is do I need to do anything else to get the 960 speech dialler working? I assumed it got its power and triggers via the plug-in pins.

Any guidance or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

cheers.

Just to clarify this point when the dialler is connected to the phone line do you get a dial tone on any phone in the house?

If not then the unit is almost certainly faulty, lightning strikes often cause the line output of digi-coms to go dead short.

Archived