Security Installer Community

Optima Mx - Replaceable?

y-i-out-of-bed - terminal block very true - but in my unfortunate and occasionally horrific experiences with global tampers they always go intermittent for me - never yet a good solid open circuit that you can find with a multimeter! I envy your good fortune! Or it would be a customer that loved to tinker who would put the lid back on the pir and then call us out saying "its gone off again" but with individual tampers you can have nothing less than total regime and absolute power over even the most appalling customer! If the lid has been opened they have to explain why! Finally some peace - of course all of that would not be an issue for Kohini!

that is so true and yes eol is a lot better but it is usaly up to what a customer can aford and usaly this means these cheeper units.

though on a callout cost you want to have panle that install can go strate to the root of the problem saving you cost on mantance. on customers that tamper it then just hope you havent signed them up to a maintance plan lol

i dono about constant problems i gess i have been very lucky in that case but when thay do go off it usaly an open and shut case. with warm weather you can get some streched tamper springs on bell boxs witch leave no trace but usaly happen at night and in mid morning. and always if not sure link it out then after a week go back or use spaire zone and wire 24hour or fire, as you can see more expensive unit looking cheeper by the time engneer has done all that.

also small bits of paper in bottom of units usaly helps with any one that plays with there kit ;) any ways think we are drifting off topic

They are all on maintenance - if you are not careful you end up paying them maintenance - don't know how that happens without a divorce.....

Those bell box tamper springs do you mean the older Novagards? (now a micro switch - the spring has been done away with) or another make?

Could you clarify what the "Euro Mini" is - am not familiar.

Individual tamper does not stop them opening the lids - just clears up any doubts - here is how I go about deterring them:-

1. Imply (but do not lie) that you can get more info out of print out than the log

2. Plug a (full size A4 - not a cash till roll type) Epson LX300 dot matrix serial printer into Gardtec 872 or Texecom Premier & feed continuous listing paper into the printer

3. Start log print in front of the customer - there are 752 events stored on an 872 so the print takes a while

4. Observe while customer gets at first nervous (as dot matrix starts its characteristic ratt-a-tatt-tat impact noise) then customer turns either pale or a slight green shade as you look at the print output as it is still coming out and then give them regular quizzical looks or the raised eye brow etc.

5. Customer suddenly remembers they have an errand to run and leaves the building like a missile - for some apparently inexplicable reason no customer has ever hung around till the end of the log print out - nor have any of those customers ever had any more mysterious tamper activations - after a good solid print out any problems inexplicably self resolve!

The irony is they are almost all on modem and upload download (so I know exactly what has been going on before I even connect the printer) - the printout is purely to give the customer a moment of pause before they do anything rash - it seems to work - all of them go on to become loyal repeat maintenance (every single year) customers and often they get us to do their next building as well! Deep down we know they love it - the intrigue - the tension - that moment of truth because deep down they want to be caught. :punk:

the same can be acheved with the download bar on software and full screen log lol, or going were is my bit of paper or off cut of cable i left it in this pir lol no messy engineer just crafty ones ;) a bit of tipex in the case jount also helps hum that wasent broken lol yes i have had those customers as well B) but as i dont do homes any more i will put my tricks out there ;)

euro mini is castles unit for small accenta, texicom size installs 10zone unit, you can not add extra zones but uses the same keypad as euro one but with out the two zones. for the extra

y-i-out-of-bed - good one - But I am sorry to say that as many of those log print outs have had to have been done on big commercial systems as domestics - they appear to meddle/lie equally in my experience!

Buyer

Hi all,

An update...

Was ordered by the Wifey to get it fixed asap before we go on holiday. I suppose it has been 2 years since we moved in...

So did a bit of GSI (Get Someone In)

Got an alarm engineer round who fixed it. Turns out there was a panic button in the bedroom which had been cut. I noticed this when I moved in (before us another couple bought the house and sold up in a few months... did some DIY, didn't know what it was and cut the wire). I subsequently buried it under new flooring!

So now how a working alarm another DIY job off the list...

I know I know... I am a DIY God!

PS: Just out of interest, do burglar alarms need regular servicing? I thought it would just need new battery once in a while?

Thanks for all your advice

Guest RJBsec
PS: Just out of interest, do burglar alarms need regular servicing? I thought it would just need new battery once in a while?

An annual service helps prevent nasty experiences at the most inconvenient times and ensures that the system is working properly when you need it to be.

I suppose the more often alarms are serviced (i.e. annually) the more reliable they become - a funny coincidence that - who would possibly draw a link between regular servicing of a car and reliability of the car?

I cannot begin to imagine why cars are inspected with an MOT

I mean if the alarm annual service is totally optional I suppose the reliability of the alarm is equally totally optional and so who in that case would think that it would (by the same logic) actually be required to go off when the bedroom panic button is pressed at 3:00 AM to save your bacon - if the alarm has been neglected it is equally not going to serve you very well in your moment of need - is it?

Archived